PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
As a pipe smoker do you prefer straight or bent stems?
I'm finding myself to be more of a bent stem man. :D

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I tend to like either straight or very bent, both for different reasons. My favorite pipes are a Peterson 312, a Wellington of the same shape, a Kaywoodie Canadian and a small "Italian second" billiard. There's one half bent calabash and a quarter bend grabow, but otherwise only the extremes. And I'd love a good Oom Paul.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I agree! Weight is a factor. I like to let my pipes hang while I smoke.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Only over the last year or so have I started to acquire more straight pipes. I always preferred bent since they felt easier to clench...

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Bents only. Not full bends though. Also short, under 5 inches and light enough to clench.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
In my early days I went exclusively with full bents...

As I have put on a couple-mumble years... I seem to be gravitating toward purchasing more straights than bents.

But, I smoke each with equal enthusiasm...

I really don't even think about that anymore...

I kind of let the tobacco dictate my pipe choice for its smoking qualities and characteristics.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
I have the whole spectrum, except an Oompaul, but it seems all my favorite smokers are 1/4 bent.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Mine are all bent. I do like to read and work with my hands while smoking and I just prefer the bent to the straight.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I run about 50/50 but only have one full bend. Most of my bent are 1/8 to 1/4. I have plenty of straights and enjoy them equally. I try and keep my straights to under 50 grams because that is more comfortable for clenching. I have always had a collection that consisted of both straight and bent and honestly would never consider just having one kind.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have three or four straights and the rest are bents to some degree. When I started I was only into bents but, over the last year straights have grown on me. Mostly billiards.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
I have no preference, later I m on a phase of looking for straights but have more bents in my collection.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I prefer bent stems because I can see in the bowl while lightening as opposed to sitting the rim on fire of a straight stem because I can't see what I am doing! That's a noob for you. Strange that I own mostly straight stem pipes.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
My two favorites are both bent. However, my cobs/hardwoods are all almost exclusively straight. Something about the aesthetics of a bent MM doesn't appeal to me.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I have more straight than bent pipes as I like the direct air flow through a straight pipe. The exception is when I smoke aromatics, then I think having the bowl under your nose helps with the flavour.

Status
Not open for further replies.