PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
I know this ultimately comes down to persoal preference but I just wanted to get others opinion. How far down on the pipestem do most of you put in your mouth. I was looking at pipe pictures on Google similar to this dapper looking gent http://www.dsphotographic.com/g2/england/haworth/1940s-weekend/Howarth+1940s+Weekend+-+006.jpg.html and I was watching "Red Tails" and noticed Cuba Gooding puts a fair amount of the stem in his mouth and it got me thinking if there was any real advantage to placing the stem farther back in the mouth. Just wanted to get other's opinions.

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
I hold the weight of my pipe in my hand, I usually just put the very tip of the stem in my mouth.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
For me it depends if I'm clinching or not.

If I'm sitting and puffing, the button is just inside my teeth.

If I'm clinching as deep as it needs to be to stable in contours of said teeth.
:puffy:

bcirka

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
I'm a holder, so just inside my lips.
When I try to clench, the rear of the pipe sits near my front molars.
However, I have tons of trouble clenching; the pipe seems to move to much, and I can't get a satisfying puff.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
whether i clench or not i find i get the best flavor from sipping gently and having the smoke introduced closer to the back of my mouth, so i never have the bit right by my lips.

Aug 14, 2012
I wonder if Mr Gooding is a pipesmoker outside the movies. Actors often do not know how to do things like hold a pipe or light it.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I worked too hard getting teeth marks out of my estates to put more in, so I only hold my pipe and put my mouth right near the end.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Dang. :?
I must have a super-over-achieving gag reflex, because if it gets very far back it gets embarrassing.
I'm a holder and for that reason almost never put if very far in my mouth. Chopz has in interesting technique.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
no i'm not saying i put the pipe far enough in my mouth to make me gag, but the bit does rest on my molar. the smoke enters my mouth and flows over the back of my tongue.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
+1 on what Chopz described. A p-lip fits just right between a couple of my teeth on the side.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks for your replies. I performed an unofficial test with my pipe today and found that with the stem a little farther back the pipe stayed lit a bit longer than usual. But then again I usually have issues keeping it lit if I don't take a draw about every 15 seconds or so. I have tried packing as loosely as I can and drying and still seem to have issues. Oh well just more cause for further research...LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.