PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
The pipe-picking has been slim for me this year but today I hit a nice little score while out of town: 3 Kaywoodies that I've either been wanting or just like all in one spot!
First up, an extra long Canadian Super Grain, 73S. Unfortunately this stinger is clipped on this one.
Next is a Relief Grain, Italy. It is a solid, thick walled pipe with a 3-hole stinger, intact. Anyone info on the RG Italy line? Are they different than "regular" RG line?
Lastly, I scored a Regent with Cumberland stem in the 98B shape, with its 3-hole stinger also intact. I've been trying to score a Regent for several months I'm eBay in my price range with no luck; I got sniped on one just this morning. So, I am pretty happy with this chance-find!
I can hardly wait to get home next week and start cleaning the up!
The Canadian

The Regent

The Relief Grain

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice haul, pal. I hear you on slim pickings lately ... I've had one haul since January, but the cupboards seem bare around here.
-- Pat

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Nice score! I have been trying to get a 73s myself, but no luck yet.

Aug 1, 2012
Very nice pipes. The outlined clover and "Made in Italy" basically denotes a later pipe (Post 1972 if my dates are correct). They tend to be less sought after but can be some nice little smokers.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks, Pat. It's a shame when a guy has to go 300 miles to score something cool, huh?

Depends on the journey my friend!
-- Pat

True; and the jury is still out! LOL
Those are going to clean up nicely! I'm envious!

Nice score! I have been trying to get a 73s myself, but no luck yet.
Thanks guys!
Very nice pipes. The outlined clover and "Made in Italy" basically denotes a later pipe (Post 1972 if my dates are correct). They tend to be less sought after but can be some nice little smokers.

Much appreciated info! I love the look and feel so I have high hopes for it.
Nice score Greg! Is that a real Cumberland stem on that Regent?

Thanks, Ed. Yes, it is; I think they were only made in 66-68 (or close to that) and I've been looking for one in a shape and price I was good with so I got very lucky here on both.
Score! I really like that Regent!

Thanks, Al. As another fellow said "she's a keeper!" :puffy:
Nice pipes Greg.

Thank you sir!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Congrats Greg. I know the feeling when you score a find like that. I'm always checking the antique mall around my parts about once a month and I occasionally come up a winner. Nothing spectacular but always at a great price and most of the time a decent smoker

Aug 1, 2012
I guess I should have been more specific in my answer so as not to confuse anyone. The outline clover does mean a later pipe but if it has a push-tenon, rather than the stinger, it is usually a handmade in the US pipe. Basically an artisan Kaywoodie.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
So, I'm finally getting to work on these some. Here's where the restoration on the Regent's stem stand now:

A long way to go but it's getting there! Remember it started like this:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Well, I have the project all finished up - finally! Although I do reserve the right to go back and re-work the pipe if I so decide in the future.

The full article and more photos are on RebornPipes blog if you are interested.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Nice score fix that regent its worth it, one just sold for 200$ on ebay they are rare only made for two years 1968-1969.

Good grief! I may have to think about letting it go - especially if the wife finds out. :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.