PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
OK, all you experts on the physical properties of briar - here's a puzzler for you:

Why does the pipe bowl momentarily get quite hot when you dump the ash and dottle, if any, at the end of the smoke? I've noticed this phenomenon on most of my briar pipes; not so much with other woods.
I await your words of wisdom.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Then the question would be, what fuel is there for the oxygen to further ignite, and I guess the answer is, there are just

enough residual tobacco remnants, dust, and incompletely burned ash to give a final little blast of fire and a short

surge of heat. I can't think of any other explanation for this hot moment before the pipe goes cool.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Good answers, all! But what's really weird is that the warming occurs AFTER I've completely emptied the pipe. And it only lasts for a few seconds.
Guess we need to get someone to write a book on "The Physics of Pipe Smoking."

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
The warming you are speaking of is the result of residue (combustible carbon products, tobacco oils, etc.) in the bottom of the bowl completing the combustion cycle . As pointed out in earlier posts, this is the result of the drastic increase in oxygen at the bottom of the bowl. When you dump the ash and dottle, you are leaving a fine layer of material, that is currently undergoing the combustion process, deposited on the interior of the bowl. The increase in oxygen suddenly and rappidly accelerates the combustion process, thus resulting in the warming sensation you are noticing. I suspect the reason you notice this more in the briars than other pipes is that briar wood tends to have higer specific heat (meaning that more heat is required for the wood to transfer heat and that the wood hold that heat longer. The heating process can be viewed by the following Q=m*c*dt (keep in mind this is a vastly simplified version of the equeation). Where Q is the rate of energy release (or heat transfer rate), m is the mass of the of pipe, c is the specific heat of the wood, and dt is the change in temperature with respect to time. Since the amount of heat produced due to the combustion of the residue left in the bowl is significantly higher than the temperature of the bowl, the heat transfer is faster allowing you to notice the warming sensation. Conversly, with other wood the lower specific heat results in an overall faster heat transfer and cooling resulting in a quicker and more complete combustion of the residue prior to dumping your ash and dottle.

magicsmoke7

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
Ohio
I think Sean hit the nail on the head here, its been a few years since I took physics, but I see nothing wrong with his reasoning. In other words, the higher specific heat is why you feel that last warming, and also why you feel it after the fact. The high specific heat of briar slows the time it takes for the outside of the bowl to get hot.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Edit: I'm retracting a statement that created this post. I'm still completely miffed. But Sean and magic have helped a lot.

(I just feel something else is going on here.)

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"It's your pipe saying to you: " Pack another bowl"!
And that's the answer I was looking for! :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.