PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The Snobbery thread got me thinking...I don't consider myself a pipe snob but I do have some pipe pet peeves.
In the past year, having attended the Chicago, Milwaukee and Cleveland pipe shows, one of my pet peeves are sellers/collectors who show off their wares asking above market prices and their pipes are filthy. If you are going to sell estate pipes, even from your own collection, clean them up before you do so. I can't tell you the number of sellers I saw who didn't bother to buff the stems or bowls. If you aren't selling pipes, keep your pipes in whatever condition you like. If you are selling, be a profesional about it. What makes these people think their pipe with greenish lip marks, a tobacco charred rim and wood completely devoid of wax is a "Pristine" pipe worthy of market condition? I understand not everyone owns a buffer but at least make the effort with hand cleaning/polishing products.
Enough with my rant, what are your pipe pet peeves?

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
My pipe pet peeve is when people at my local B&M tell me that it is worthless to try and fix up my latest estate purchase because it is "such a cheap pipe".... I don't care what it is worth, I like it and that is all that matters...

rlrideoutjr

Lurker
May 28, 2010
My pipe pet peeve is when people tell me I am too young to be smoking a pipe. I try to explain that there are numerous young people who enjoy the art of pipe smoking. Why can't the profiling stop?....;-)

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
My biggest pet peeve is when you show someone at the local B&M you newest acquisition, the first thing they do is twist the stem out of it! Why!?

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
I haven't been smoking tobacco pipes long enough to have any pet peeves.....ha,ha,ha,..!!
mypipes019-4.jpg
mypipes020-4.jpg
mypipes021-1.jpg
mypipes023-1.jpg

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Mine happened recently at a unnamed B&M in Orlando. I was talking with one of the employees about some of the pipes and tobacco, and he kept insisting on arguing with me trying to make himself feel superior over me. I then asked him what type of English house blends they had and he responded, "Whats an English blend?". While trying to make me feel like an idiot I think he got himself a little worse.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Surf that's one of the biggest hazards of being a member of Pipesmagazine.com; you become educated.

Even I learned something today..... Damnit!

:)
I guess I'm just lucky, as far as the pet peeve thing goes.

For example; when I brought in a new pipe, "not purchased" at the local B&M.

Everybody wanted to see it, ask me about it and the maker, then express their approval. And, No one ever has pulled the stem; fellow patrons or staff.

The funny thing is I didn't even have to mention that it was new.... they all new it was.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I had a mother-in-law(awhile ago)that made me put my pipe out because the smell was traveling thirty five feet around the exterior of the house so that she could catch a faint smell of my best aromatic tobacco.You should of heard it,"I'm so nauseated I think I'm about to faint".Oh yeah,it was my house.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
My too pet peeves are my wife getting so anti smoking the older we get, we have been married 33 years, you think she'd be used to it by now. The second peeve is our governemnt trying to meddle in our hobby and tax the heck out of us!

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Off topic:
Juozapas, MOAR of the wooden lion and briar pics. Please.
On topic:
Aside from gurgles and the usual, I'm really the only person I know in meatspace that smokes a pipe. Therefore, no one else is interested and conversations never seem to happen. Plus, I only smoke at home since I live in a town of dickheads of all stripes and prefer not to mingle. Lucky me, I guess.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Hijack warning!

Congratulations on 33 years Earl. Not many couples pay much attention to "until death do you part" anymore.

davidansley

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
My pet peeve is, and I know this is going to seem trivial because everyone is allowed to smoke a pipe how they want, but I hate it when people put the bit in the direct center of their mouth and puff!!! It's like, seriously, what are you taking a hit off of a crack pipe!? I know it is trivial, but it just bothers me for some reason lol. It looks weird to not have the pipe out the side of your mouth. Now I will probably never say anything to anyone who I see doing it in person, just my pet peeve.
OH, and I hate when I go to watch a pipe or tobacco review or something like that on youtube and I click on the video and it's just some guy sitting there smoking and not talking throughout the video!! Youtube is not the place for smoking fetish videos people! Take that crap somewhere else! Okay, I'm done, and I echo Chuck's congratulations on the 33 years Earl! Takes an extreme amount of commitment to do that, I've only been married for 1/1/2 years and it's been one helluva ride already lol!

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
rlrideout:
My pipe pet peeve is when people tell me I am too young to be smoking a pipe. I try to explain that there are numerous young people who enjoy the art of pipe smoking. Why can't the profiling stop?....;-)
some guy told me that the other day, i told him i'm 21 i will do as i please.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
when people tell me I am too young to be smoking a pipe.

I'm not style or fashion conscious, but perhaps their reaction comes from the fact that the pipe you're smoking doesn't suit your physique. E.g., a young man "looks better" with a Prince shape than an Oom Paul. For myself, a bent bulldog compliments my codger appearance in a way that a tall, slim Canadian could never do.
(Comedic image: Abe Lincoln standing tall with a chubby clenched in his mouth.)

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Four years ago,a drunk alcoholic with a shrunken liver told me that pipe smoking was bad for me.I'll never forget that one.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
My pet peeve is when a "coughin nail" smoker tells me that they could never smoke a pipe because it takes too much time to prep and smoke.
That is one of the main reasons I smoke a pipe.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Man, talk about resurrecting an old post!
Not sure I responded to this one five years ago, especially considering that for me, remembering what I did five minutes ago is a challenge.
But, I'm kind of like the guy who posted this five years ago (who knows, he might be dead by now) -
My pipe pet peeve is when people tell me I am too young to be smoking a pipe. I try to explain that there are numerous young people who enjoy the art of pipe smoking. Why can't the profiling stop? - rlrideoutjr

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
Well, nothing. I just want to be a preferred "purple" member so I need 188 more post.

You know what? I want it for tomorrow. So brace yourself, dead threads are coming!

(mods: give me that purple or I will resurrect all the 6+ year old threads!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.