PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
As i'm smoking my trusty Brigham 184, I came to wonder; Does your pipe performance come to a plateau then starts to go down hill? What I mean is, once your pipe is broken in, sufficient cake etc. Do you notice that the performance goes down at somepoint?
Example; body building. As some people know, if you work out regularly, doing the same excersises, you will eventually "plateau" meaning you can't gain any muscle, or gain/loose weight.
My Brig smokes like a dream as it is, I'm just curious if i should expect the performace to drop eventually. I know if i don't take care of it, it can go sour, but lets say we keep the cake at a resonable level, and enough rest time.
Thoughts?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't believe that the law of diminishing returns applies to pipes. Like many fine wood instruments they tend to improve with age as long as they are cared for.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
So besides making sure there is a safe level of cake, should i do anything else to maintain? Run pipe cleaners with booze through every so often? Should I ever do a salt/alcohol treatment?

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Awesome thanks guys!
I've been more using matches or a pipe Zippo to light. I find the flavor is much better than a butane.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my experience well cared for quality briar pipes get better with age. I have pipes that are 50 years old and they smoke great. As long as you are vigilant in cleaning and resting your pipe, it should keep getting better for many years to come.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Sweet! By the sounds of it, within a few years my Brigham will be smoking itself!!

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
Golly I hope there is no plateau. I have three beauties, a small unique Nording, a Peterson, and a Big Ben stone that get better with each bowl. I have great dreams about what they will be like in a another year, let alone ten. I have experienced cheaply made pipes that started out decent, but just got worse.. But I don't think a plateau can be achieved if there was never an incline, so I think I agree with the majority on is one.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have 69 pipes at present count, including one of the first pipes I ever smoked: a Dr. Grabow Viscount from the 70's. So far, I have found that when they start to taste bad, they need cleaning. Other than that, I enjoy them all. Your experience may vary, of course. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.