Pipe newbie goes to Engand. Good first English pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

radagast

Lurker
Dec 14, 2012
Greetings from Kansas City! I am relatively new to the art of pipe smoking; I used to have 1 or 2 cheapo pipes when I was younger, but want to buy my first proper briar. I'll be on holiday in England for a couple weeks in May and thought that a nice English made pipe would make a nice souvenir.

My questions are:
1. Could you recommend a good English pipe maker for a first timer? My budget is around £50-200 ($80-320). To be honest, I'm not sure if that is too much for a starter or just right, hence the wide range. :) So far in my research, I've found a few such as Ashton and Ferndown that are well regarded, but I thought I'd check what the experts here think. I'd like something that looks nice but also smokes well.
2. To those who live in or have been to England, could you recommend your favorite pipe shop/tobacconist (anywhere in the country)?
Thank you very much!

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Welcome, and enjoy your trip Across The Pond!
But be careful - an English shopkeeper can see a tourist coming a mile away! :lol:
And man, those Askwith Pipes are pretty darn sexy!

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I am an englishman and have personally dealt with blakemar and found them.to be excellent to deal with, for what its worth. Good luck

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Seriously, let me know where in England you'll be & I'll probabably be able to help you out on where to find shops (as long as it's no further south than Coventry).
Also, I'm English & while the above links are all mighty fine pipes (though expensive), I have never met a fellow countryman that didn't own a Falcon...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love my James Upshall pipes and would love to travel to their shop one day. Give us a report on your trip and purchases. My Ferndown pipes are also treasured, but I'm not sure they have a shop you can visit? (they stay pretty much off the internet radar map)

Status
Not open for further replies.