PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I just finished watching "Father the Flame," and it is a wonderful documentary and a beautiful film. As others have mentioned elsewhere, however, they don't delve too deeply into the tobacco aspect of pipe smoking (which is fine, because it's not the subject of the movie). I'm left wondering what blends these men and women smoke in those beautiful works of art? What was Lars Ivarsson's favorite blend(s)? Or Nanna's? Or Lee's?
So I thought I'd start a thread on this topic. We've seen several threads on what other famous pipe smokers smoked (actors, presidents, generals, etc.), but what about the pipe masters themselves, either pipe carvers or tobacco blenders?
Therefore, if you are a pipe carver or tobacco blender (or both), or you know someone who is, please enlighten us all! What blends to the Pipe Masters reach for most often?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I saw an interview in which Erik Nording said he was a fan of "stonger virginias.. like Escudo."
That's all I got....
I did have the same thought when I watched the film though, when Lee says he has "too much good tobacco.....some of it really old" I instantly wanted to see what he had stashed away, hahaha.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I think I remember hearing Eltang say on the Pipes Mag podcast that Orlik Golden Sliced was his favorite.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Escudo and Orlik Golden Sliced ... both generally available blends. That tells you something.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
MSO, I had the same thought. Also, in one scene of the movie it appears that Pippo Domenico is smoking Sutliff's Blue Danube, or some other Sutliff blend with a lavender skyline on the label.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd be truly interested to know what Mogen Johansen smokes (Johs pipes), but I think he's too busy furiously turning out pipes at remarkably affordable prices to offer a response. I don't know what my elusive North Carolina carver Jerry Perry smokes, but last time I was by his display at the N.C. State Fair (his wife was minding the shop) I left a baggy of Daughters and Ryan Two Timer for him, just to see how he likes it. I'll find out next time I see him, see if he's a burley guy, and if he likes that blend. Einstein was said to be a Revelation smoker, but he didn't carve pipes, only mathematical formulae and cosmic concepts, which is somewhat similar.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Russ O. has told me several times that he created Magnum Opus for his own pleasure. It is a wonderful blend and certainly one of, if not his best, blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good for Russ if he can choose between his creations, his various genres.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When you get to master blenders such as Russ, Greg Pease or Joe Lankford, isn't it a bit like asking a parent which of his 18 children he likes above all others?
An interesting question, none-the-less!

Status
Not open for further replies.