PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiszmich

Lurker
Sep 9, 2013
Chicago
I have really fallen in love with the act of pipe smoking over the past year. Everything about it is such a wonderful art form to me. I'm starting to get so interested in this art that I want to start to learn how to make pipes. I want to learn from the masters and make something i can smoke for years with my own two hands. Is there anything out there where I can learn? Like a class I can take or internships out there? I know it's a stretch but I figured I should ask. Keep in mind I live in the Chicago area, so I can't travel out of state or something like that. I know it may be a weird question. I just wanted to keep this hobby advancing. Thank you in advance. Louie

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
YouTube has some good videos. Your in Chicago. I assume you have a car? Get yourself up to speed with the basics. Then just seek out someone local that you might approach. It's coveted in some aspects, but not in knowledge. Most would be happy to share and help as long as your not a burden or safety hazzard.

Good luck. And welcome to the forums. Lots to learn and enjoy here.

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/
Use Instagram and follow a few makers, pictures of their process help a lot.
Order a commission pipe and ask the maker if they will allow you in the shop to observe their work.
That's how I learned, a commission from Rad Davis and another from Grant Batson. Both extremely nice folks who graciously allowed me to learn pipe making while watching over their shoulder!
If you have any questions you can find me at www.klodtpipes.com
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.