PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randommj

Lurker
Oct 5, 2010
this will be my first pipe to make, and, true, it wont be easy, Id like to make a churchwarden pipe, Ive never been one to start anything easy. I have a chunk on briar coming in the mail, but my question is what is the best wood to use as the stem?
to be honest, I am far more interested in the making process than the smoking aspect, actually I classify myself as a non-smoker, mainly because I have yet to take more than one puff of anything, but I am planning on making something with a smaller bowl
any tips would be HUGELY helpful

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The best source I know for information on pipe making is the book offered by PIMO.

http://www.pimopipecraft.com/

I would not use a wooden stem myself but vulcanite as offered by pimo.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
First off, I would suggest holding off on making the stem for a churchwarden, if you want to buy one thats fine. But finding and buying a drill bit that long will be incredibly hard and extremely expensive :P If you are bound and determined to make a churchwarden, then go with clay. Its much easier to make the long stem out of.

Second, I would suggest getting some more briar to make the stem. And if this is your first pipe, find some oak or pine for really cheap and practice on those first. I made an oak pipe not to long ago, and I went through 3 bowls before I was able to get one right, so you don't want to waste your good briar.

Couple quick questions: what style pipes are you planing on making? Also, what tools do you have to make it with?

Hope I didn't scare you away with any of this, to date I've made every single one of my pipes, and plan to continue making pipes as long as I can, there's just something about smoking a good aromatic in a handmade pipe....

Oh, and a word of warning...pipe making is very, very, very addicting

randommj

Lurker
Oct 5, 2010
you might be right, I think buying the stem might be the way to go. Im pretty confident in my wood working abilities, the only part I think I could really jack up on would be getting the stem hole to meet the bowl (very technical terms here...) as far as tools go, I was thinking on using a wood bit to cut the majority of the bowl then use a metal bit for the very last, seeing as though it has a nice "rounded" bottom, then use a band saw for rough cutting then a knife for the shaping, and obviously a lot of sand paper, and I have a bench grinder that I could put a cloth wheel on for the waxing portion

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
If you have a narrow belt sander it will save you hours of whittling time . Briar is very hard and prone to chipping ahead of a knife.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
This is a great site (I go there occasionally to admire the pictures in the gallery part of the forum):
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.