PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbradk

Lurker
Feb 2, 2012
Here are a few products I have found that really help with common pipe maintenance issues. I have no financial interests in these companies (but I wish that I did!) I hope that these prove useful to you.

1. STEMCO Pipe Stem Tightener Kit. Little wooden box holds a variety of tapered steel pins. To fix loose tenons, insert the proper pin in tenon, heat with a hair dryer or candle, push in partially with pliers, then set by dipping in cold water and remove pin with pliers. Works like a charm. STEMCO, P.O. Box 2043, Manchester Ctr., VT 05255
2. Pipe Stem Polish. Rub it on the stem, let dry, polish with soft cloth. Might take a few applications if the oxidation is severe. My favorite old Peterson is looking pretty good. Found it on Ebay. Upper Bound, 18750 Oak Leaf Lane, Northville, MI 48168 upperbound@aol.com
3. Briar polish. Denicare polish. Found it on the internet. Little tin of wax. Apply on briar, polish with soft cloth. Works great. Just do an internet search. They make other products as well. My tin came with everything written in German. Apparently the product is a mixture of different kinds of waxes...all I know is that this is the best that I have found for those old briars.
I hope that this helps. I spent a long time trying to figure out how to tighten a tenon before I found the kit. Anybody can loosen a tenon that is too tight with a few rubs with fine sandpaper, but to go in the other direction had me stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.