PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a while, cigar bars and lounges became quite popular, and I think there are still quite a few.

Because cigars can easily go for eight or ten dollars or much more, I think I can visualize the business

plan and cash flow in cities and towns that permit cigar bars. There are a few famous pipe lounges

in the world, notably the one at Iwan Ries in Chicago, which you can see pictured at their web site,

and the one at Nat Sherman in Manhattan. My local independent pipe shop has a round table that

invites pipe and cigar smokers; a penciled note on the door gives a disclaimer to those who don't

want to be around tobacco smoke. But the number of pipe lounges is far less than the pipe bar trend.

Any glimmers of hope? Why have pipe smoking areas never been as common as cigar bars? There

are hookah bars, which are far more common than pipe lounges. There seems to be a hang up.

Any easy answers, uneasy answers, speculation, and wild ideas are welcome. How about Tea and Pipes?

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
That's a great question....I'm in New Orleans and hope to open a pipe lounge sometime in the next decade if tobacco isn't outlawed by then.... :)

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
There are a few famous pipe lounges

in the world, notably the one at Iwan Ries in Chicago, which you can see pictured at their web site,

and the one at Nat Sherman in Manhattan.

These are primarily cigar lounges. You won't see many pipe smokers at either of these places. Cigars are popular, profitable and where the money is nowadays. You'd go broke fast with only pipe smokers. 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
daveinlax, aw shucks. You've burst the bubble of my illusions. I want to think of those as pipe smoking

lounges, but I think you're right. What pays the rent are the pricey cigars, and pipes are allowed. That

kind of square footage in the loop or in Manhattan requires big cash flow, and that spells cigars. Still,

I think there's a place for pipes, somewhere. And at least they are sold and allowed at both Iwan Ries

and Nat Sherman, and Iwan Ries does pretty well in offering moderately priced pipes -- you don't have

to be shopping high end. And you can get a nice bag of bulk pipe tobacco at Sherman for $12-$15.

Interesting point though, a tin of quality pipe tobacco that will provide maybe a dozen smokes or more

costs what one or two premium cigars cost. So, what's going to pay the lease? I don't have any inside

information, but I think much of the staff at Nat Sherman commutes from Jersey. The Wall Street hedge

fund people and similar types have shouldered out all of the artists, journalists, actors, etc., who don't

want to live jungled up in 500 sq. ft. flats, for residences. So, here's to imaginary pipe lounges.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Ive never been hassled in a cigar lounge for smoking a pipe. I will always try to purchase something, and buy a day pass if required.

a smoking lounge is a smoking lounge. No cigarettes allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.