PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I recently acquired an unsmoked meerschaum poker billard that came with a lot. The only identification on it is the logo on the stem. I have looked all over pipephils Logo's & Markings site and Pipedia but nothing.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this logo before and if they have, maybe a name.

On the other side of the stem (not in a photo) it has a raised stamp 'Great Britain'.

6.jpg

63.jpg

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
Fred is the MEER expert in my opinion. Have already used a few of his recomendations on coloring.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
A couple of fun facts about pipe logos.
1. Why do American sold Castellos use a diamond logo and European sold Castellos use a white bar? Because when they started selling Castellos in the U.S. they found that there ware already a pipe using a similar logo. Pipe brand was "White Bar".
2. Is it a real diamond in a Castello stem? Nope, just a little clear lucite rod, faceted on the bottom with a file, dabbed with silver paint, shoved in, cut off and polished.
3. How can I put a Dunhill dot on my replacement stem. Get a round, white plastic toothpick. Cut it to the right size, drill correct size hole in stem, apply dab of glue to toothpick, shove in hole, cut and polish.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys, but I haven't got a clue on this one...

Back in the '60's and early '70's, it was common to

have B&M's carry their own 'brand' of Meerschaums.

The range in quality of these Pipe went from African

Block (like this one) to Turkish Block to Pressed Block.

Everyone got into the act, including Medico, Grabow,

The Pipe, Carey Pipes..., etc. I'm not aware of a resource

that covers this time frame in it's entirety. The identification

of Meerschaums is likely the most difficult aspect of the

estate market and much of the information is lost.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Fred, thanks for that bud. By the way I tried the saliva on the inside of the bowl tip you mentioned in another thread and it is absorbed into the meerschaum very quickly.
It is the only meerschaum pipe I have at the moment and was unsure as to whether or not to use it or just to keep it in my collection unsmoked. I keep taking it out and looking at it, and then putting it back. Mainly because I am a little unsure of how to handle/smoke/maintain a meerschaum. I kind of guess that that is a fairly common reaction of someone unused to meerschaum. I think I'll just go ahead and use it as a training pipe to see how I get on with meerschaum, before investing in anything really top quality.
Any tips on meerschaum maintenence/cleaning would be much appreciated.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
You are welcome excav8tor. African Block Meerschaums are sturdy, calcined

Block and most people treat them like they would a Briar and don't pay much

attention to cleaning them. For me, what works is a sharp blunt tipped knife

to scrape the cake build up, Everclear, shank brush and plenty of Pipe cleaners.

taazen

Lurker
Jan 6, 2016
Finnsnes, Norway
Hi, I also wonder about this Bird, the Woodpecker on the stem/mouthpiece of this meerschaum pipe. Have one similar.

I have heard it is an underbrand or side-brand of Dunhil, could that be right?

Ive seen an articel of this on net, but I cant find it again.

Hope someone can help.:)

Best regards from Norway.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
or me, what works is a sharp blunt tipped knife

to scrape the cake build up, Everclear, shank brush and plenty of Pipe cleaners
Hi Fred, I also use a tool similar to a sharp blunt tipped knife, the Savinelli Fits-All Reamer and more recently the Decatur Pipe Knife both with great results.
My question is regarding the use of Everclear in the meer. I always thought it should be avoided. Can you tell me how you use it on meers?
Thank you,
Lou

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I simply would not use Everclear on a meer, unless it were really foul.
Very hot water is my choice in cleaning both briar and meerschaum.

Status
Not open for further replies.