Pipe Lighters

(51 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by louiezmich
  • Latest reply from hodirty
  1. louiezmich

louiezmich

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone!

So I have really been enjoying the pipe smoking hobby. I went to Iwin Reese yesterday and man what I blown away. It was simply amazing and I honestly know I will be a pipe and cigar smoker for ever and pass down the art some day. But anyway, as I ramble, I noticed that people were all using these really nice pipe lighters. So I want your opinion, what kind of lighter is good for a pipe? I love matches don't get me wrong but walking around in the city, matches are not practical. So what lighter would be good and classy for a college kids wallet? Also are there estate pipe lighters? Like does anyone want to sell theirs or make a trade? I'm open for anything. Thank you everyone for your kindness and I can't wait for more questions and answers.

Thanks again,
    Lou

Lou
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

So I want your opinion, what kind of lighter is good for a pipe?

Zippo. Guaranteed for life, easy to find used (check Craig's List for example) and Zippo, Bradford, PA will refurbish, even replace the cigarette/cigar innards with a pipe version for free.

Or, you can buy a new Zippo w/pipe insert, for around $20.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

htmn246

Login to Send PM

Old Boy the best of the lot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

No doubt, but not everyone can fork over $100-$150 for a lighter.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old Boy Lighter, and for cheap but reliable get an Imco Lighter which is also refillable, and of course everyone has to have a Zippo Lighter

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

I can tell you what NOT to get - don't get a Vertigo Briar. I bought one and it fell apart in literally less than 2 weeks. Very stylish, attractive lighter, but a pain to use and cheaply made.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're going to use a lighter, I'd recommend a Colibri butane pipe lighter. (I don't recommend Zippos at all, but I may be a lone voice here in that regard. I think the lighter fluid affects the flavor of what you're smoking, and I would only suggest them for cigarette smokers who don't care so much about flavor.)

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

(I don't recommend Zippos at all, but I may be a lone voice here in that regard. I think the lighter fluid affects the flavor of what you're smoking, and I would only suggest them for cigarette smokers who don't care so much about flavor.)

As, Bob says, the Zippo's lighter fluid smell does bother some people. But most still own a Zippo and some use it all the time. Made in USA, reasonably priced, guaranteed for life.

As I've said before, on the slim chance that the Zippo's lighter fluid does bother you, the Vector butane pipe insert for the Zippo is $11 or $12 at P&C.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just purchased 2 Zippos with the Pipe Insert (make sure yours has this if you go this direction). I have a very cool pipe lighter called a Xikar. Its very sleek and sexy. One down side for noobs like you and I: You have to refill a fair amount.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can tell you what NOT to get - don't get a Vertigo Briar. I bought one and it fell apart in literally less than 2 weeks. Very stylish, attractive lighter, but a pain to use and cheaply made.

Is that Vertigo made by Lotus? I have a Lotus Vertigo butane single torch lighter that just crapped out on me after about 3 years, but I've had to baby it the whole time. It now leaks butane and I can't use it anymore. What a waste of money, and a headache to use the whole time.

As for a pipe lighter I recommend Zippo! They're inexpensive and they're guaranteed for life. You can get one with the pipe insert for about $13. If you get one with the standard insert you can send it to Zippo requesting a pipe insert and they'll exchange the inserts. Awesome customer service at Zippo!

Here is a recent video I made regarding my Zippo and my Lotus that crapped out on me.
    [url=

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Video

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

Not a true pipe lighter, but hard to blow out, I have a fondness for Scripto view lighters, very simple design and u can always see your fuel.And it cant all evaporate if not used, unless a seal is going bad

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

13. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL Disposable Bics, 5pack for $4.00. Lasts about 6 months or better.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

+1 on Zippo.

Fact is, you may eventually have more than one type lighter, each suited to its purpose. Zippo is about the only thing that I've found to be usable outside. When I'm indoors and wind isn't a problem I prefer a butane lighter with its smaller flame that I can aim more carefully. I'd like to get an Old Boy one day, but I'm not prepared to spend the bux for one right now.

One lighter I won't recommend is the Xikar Pipeline, which is an Old Boy knockoff. I absolutely love the design and the way it operates, but I've been through three of them and after a couple of weeks all of them stopped lighting. Funny thing, the spark was always strong and I could light the thing with a match and get a normal flame, but for some reason they would stop lighting with the flint. And yes, I used only Xikar fuel in them. A mystery. Now to their credit Xikar replaced every one of them no questions asked, but I finally asked for a Resource as a replacement, which just arrived yesterday. Wish me luck with it!

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

Disposable Bics, 5pack for $4.00.

I think that's the best overall suggestion for convenience, price and reliability, but I've been down that road and I got tired of burning my thumb! I need to either get better coordinated or just plain man up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just ordered a few of their "pipe" models. I am coming to the conclusion that different pipes and different situations call for different lighting methods.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 disposable bics

There cheap, sold everywhere and work great.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

I use disposable no-name butanes. My tobacconist gives one to me at no charge whenever I purchase anything. They're refillable, work fine and most of them are even attractive.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I purchased a JetLine pipe lighter at a B&M in Boise for less than $30 last Summer. It is a soft flame butane. I have had problems with butane lighters in the past but this one keeps on chugging.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

New to me, so I looked it up.

The JetLine Lacardo appears to be a fine lighter, comes with three built-in pipe tools, is guaranteed for life, and sells for $28.

http://www.vintagechiccigar.com/lacardo-traditional-flame-pipe-cigar-lighter-jetline-chrome-p-1849.html

400 ml Xikar Premium Fuel = $10.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't own that more-expensive model, I own a JetLine Bolla
    It has a pull-out detachable tamper/pick in the bottom.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Seems they're about the same price, actually, MSRP = $30. vice $35. I suppose it depends on where someone buys it. Your Bolla on Amazon is $25, and $20 here:

http://www.vintagechiccigar.com/bolla-soft-traditional-flame-pipe-lighter-jetline-chrome-p-1866.html

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought the Bolla because that model was the one for sale at the B&M. I usually do more research before buying but I wanted to support the shop as the owner has been very good to me in the past.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I wanted to support the shop as the owner has been very good to me in the past.

Great reasons and you're happy with it, which is all that matters, IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

I have expensive lighters. But, the old Bic's do the job pretty well. They always lite. If I lose one, no big deal.

I pick up 5 pack's of Bic's at the Dollar store for a $1.00. These are the long Bic's. It's just ridiculous to spend a lot of money on a lighter when there so cheap and available everywhere.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My trusted Colibri soft flame got a crack in the fuel tank so now it is just the plain old BIC.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's just ridiculous to spend a lot of money on a lighter ...

Well maybe, but there's nothing like that {{{ping}}} from an ST Dupont.

(Which don't work for sh!t as a pipe lighter BTW).

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By the way, a few years ago we were driving through Bradford PA on a road trip. Took a tour of the Zippo center. It was cool, if you like zippos. They had a neat little museum on the history of the lighter. The shop had pretty much every zippo you could possibly imagine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another vote for Zippo here. I love my old Nimrod but the Zippo is easier to use and more reliable. Plus, if your Zippo doesn't have a pipe insert, send it in and they give you one (except if it's a slimline which won't take a pipe insert).

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I typically use matches, but when I use a lighter I use a Bic or something similar. I would love to get an old Nimrod lighter though.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to use disposable Bics but I broke down last year and bought an Old Boy. I wanted to stop throwing away lighters and I have a thing for well made classical things. I can't recommend them enough. they are a bit on the pricey side, but worth it if you have the dough. Otherwise I would stick with the disposable Bics.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

Got a Xicar pipeline. It has been back to the factory 4 times. I would go for a Jet Line if you are looking for a good cheap refillable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I broke down last year and bought an Old Boy. I wanted to stop throwing away lighters and I have a thing for well made classical things. I can't recommend them enough

Old Boy lighters are expensive, but great lighters. The only problem with an Old Boy is, as someone else put it, "if someone farts a quarter mile away, it blows the flame out." OK, an exaggeration, but Old Boys don't like wind; in fact, they don't do a breeze, either.

A friend uses his indoors only ("it's harder to lose if it doesn't leave the house") and has a Zippo for outdoor use.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Got a Xicar pipeline. It has been back to the factory 4 times.

I've got two expensive Xikar lighters in a desk drawer, both are replacements by Xikar and they still don't work properly. I could send them back and get something else, but TBH, none of the Xikar lighters suit me ... I figure, if Xikar does come out with something I like, I'll swap out my Xikar also-rans.

I got a JetLine Lacardo with a couple cans of Dark Star tobacco for just over $50, shipped from CI. We'll see how that works out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't recommend Zippos at all, but I may be a lone voice here in that regard. I think the lighter fluid affects the flavor of what you're smoking
    I ended up buying 4 of them because I think Zips are pretty cool (and you and do a lot of tricks with them if you're in to that sorta thing, I am) but this post is accurate. There is a distinctive "fuel smell" with Zips. I dont know abou the taste per se. Just ordered Tsubota Pearl Queue Solid Stick Lighter in Red and Black Chrome. Then I ordered a Tsubota Pearl EDDIE because someone at the Seattle Pipe Meeting said if he was on a desert island and could only have 1 lighter, it would be this one. I arrives this week.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's just ridiculous to spend a lot of money on a lighter when there so cheap and available everywhere.
    It's only ridiculous if you can't afford it. One can make the same argument for clothing, watches, cars, or almost anything. It just depends of the value the spender puts on any product. A BMW 540 basically gets me to the store at the same speed as a car 1/3 the price. And yet, they sell like hot cakes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. darkwoods

darkwoods

Login to Send PM

Anyone know anything about this lighter "Tsubota Pearl Eddie”? I have been reading about it online. They are suppose to be really well made. Thoughts? Thank you!

http://pipesandcigars.com/pepilibydr.html

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. darkwoods

darkwoods

Login to Send PM

haha... missed zonomo's post

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I posted this in a thread here some months ago when the Pearl was all the buzz.

"I have both the Corona Old Boy and the Tsubota Pearl. Here are pros and cons for me.

Pearl
    Pros: stonger flame than the Old Boy, I like the heavy feel, I like the pipe tools that flip out the side.
    Cons: the lever arm that you flip up to light is cheaply made pot metal, the flame adjustment is recessed so you can't adjust the flame without a separate tool (I end up using the removable tamper tool from one of my Old Boys since you can't separate the tools from the Pearl lighter), you can't separate the tools from the lighter they only flip out the side, my first one lasted less than 3 months before the lever arm locked up & wouldn't work, no place to have repaired in USA.
    Note: I did call the place I bought mine from & they sent me a brand new replacement at no charge that I received in the mail in less than 3 days no questions asked & they didn't even want the old one back as proof of my claim. Highly recommend this retailer if you're going to buy a lighter. First rate. Here is link where I bought and the model I bought. My second one (replacement) is working fine, so far.

http://www.pipetobacco.com/pipe-lighters/pearl-pipe-lighter-941.html

Old Boy
    Pros: lever arm & entire lighter seems to be quality metal, you can remove the tamper tool from the lighter, you can send them off & have repaired in USA for as long as you own them or Corona is in business for $8 a pop.
    Cons: Can't use in the slightest breeze, since the pipe tool is removable you could lose it

Which do I prefer?
    I'm still partial to the Old Boys (I own 3). For me the deal breaker is the fact that Corona will stand behind it and repair it till the cows come home. If the retailer you buy a Pearl lighter from doesn't back your purchase and something goes wrong you've bought a $100+ throw away lighter. While the retailer I purchased my Pearl from backed my purchase I'm not sure they would have if I'd owned it for more than 90 days.

Hope this helps."

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. sergemoat

sergemoat

Login to Send PM

I've got a Tsubota Pearl Eddie lighter. The only issue for me was under the flip top there is a spring and a little "T" made of plastic that fell out/broke. I emailed Tsubota's customer service and they sent me 2 from Japan.

I'm able to adjust the flame with my fingernail.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. auspipe

auspipe

Login to Send PM

I use a regular zippo, but can get frustrating having to fill it and replace flints.
    Thinking of getting a cheap pipe lighter, maybe a Jobon off ebay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. darkwoods

darkwoods

Login to Send PM

Thank you roth and serge...

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. sergemoat

sergemoat

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah, about the Eddie, I'm not sure if my flame adjustment/fuel is bad but mine seems to get pretty black and sooty around the flip cap.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have Zippos, but remembering to refill can be a pain. I mostly use the small Bics, as they are easy to carry and I keep about 4-5 around at all times. And they are small enough to fit into the bowl of most of my pipes.

-Jason

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd love to try one of the expensive lighters but I usually use diamond matches and I have a nice 3 jet- Jetliner cigar lighter turned way down when I'm lazy or out. Just can't see spending $100 on a lighter when it's a lot of tobacco for the cellar.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Day to day I use disposable Bic's. I also use a really nice Zippo lighter with the pipe insert and like it quite a lot.

If you just want a lighter for day to day use and don't have much for bucks, suggest the Bic's.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zippo for me. I have Bics, but I keep burning my fingers. Coordination is not my strong point.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recommend matches. Lighters are convenient, portable, and some are downright nifty as objects and
    tools. Some are beautiful as fine pipes. I think pipe smoking is a quiet and deliberative activity, and
    therefore the efficiency of lighters is not a benefit. Maybe we shouldn't be in a hurry here. I really don't
    like the little blow torches that ignite the tobacco in the bottom of the bowl. The smell of lighter fluid,
    or even a little whiff of butane is really not the way to start a smoke. Hey, this is all subjective. For
    folks who love their lighters and wouldn't be without them, I say, good. They just factor out my objections
    and enjoy a smoke their way. I only want to point out that the simplicity (and hassle) of matches is part
    of the experience for a lot of us. Just take it into consideration. Maybe matches are your "thing" too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No doubt, but not everyone can fork over $100-$150 for a lighter.

+1 to Old Boy. After your fourth crappy lighter for 30$ (because you went "cheapo") died on you and you are banging your head against the wall because you want to smoke yer pipe and can't, you finally realize that the 100$ bucks for an Old Boy wouldn't have been a bad investment in the first place. And you end up paying double (120$ for 4 lighters that crapped out and 120$ for an Old Boy that you'll have the rest of your life).

Got a Xicar pipeline. It has been back to the factory 4 times. I would go for a Jet Line if you are looking for a good cheap refillable.

Yeah I had one of those, too. Lasts about 6 months before you have to get it replaced. Now, it has lifetime warranty and my local B&M guy just kept on exchanging it in-store no questions asked, but he told me that him selling the dang Xicar lighters will be the end of him eventually...

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  50. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tsubota Lighters are really nice, have 2 of them But I prefer my Old Boy Lighter.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Definetly a zippo. Relatively cheap, and excessable. And , u can smash it for fun and they will send you a new one; although I dont suggest it. Gotta love the lifetime warranty.

The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
    ~Albert Einstein
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pitchfork, warren, rsuninv, sdcowboy, fnord, onepyrotec, mrfus, organizedmadman, swilly, jdto, beefeater33, phil67, eightywon