PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiezmich

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Illinois
Hello Everyone!
So I have really been enjoying the pipe smoking hobby. I went to Iwin Reese yesterday and man what I blown away. It was simply amazing and I honestly know I will be a pipe and cigar smoker for ever and pass down the art some day. But anyway, as I ramble, I noticed that people were all using these really nice pipe lighters. So I want your opinion, what kind of lighter is good for a pipe? I love matches don't get me wrong but walking around in the city, matches are not practical. So what lighter would be good and classy for a college kids wallet? Also are there estate pipe lighters? Like does anyone want to sell theirs or make a trade? I'm open for anything. Thank you everyone for your kindness and I can't wait for more questions and answers.
Thanks again,

Lou

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Old Boy Lighter, and for cheap but reliable get an Imco Lighter which is also refillable, and of course everyone has to have a Zippo Lighter

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
I can tell you what NOT to get - don't get a Vertigo Briar. I bought one and it fell apart in literally less than 2 weeks. Very stylish, attractive lighter, but a pain to use and cheaply made.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If you're going to use a lighter, I'd recommend a Colibri butane pipe lighter. (I don't recommend Zippos at all, but I may be a lone voice here in that regard. I think the lighter fluid affects the flavor of what you're smoking, and I would only suggest them for cigarette smokers who don't care so much about flavor.)

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I just purchased 2 Zippos with the Pipe Insert (make sure yours has this if you go this direction). I have a very cool pipe lighter called a Xikar. Its very sleek and sexy. One down side for noobs like you and I: You have to refill a fair amount.
XIKARScribePipeLighterBlack.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I can tell you what NOT to get - don't get a Vertigo Briar. I bought one and it fell apart in literally less than 2 weeks. Very stylish, attractive lighter, but a pain to use and cheaply made.
Is that Vertigo made by Lotus? I have a Lotus Vertigo butane single torch lighter that just crapped out on me after about 3 years, but I've had to baby it the whole time. It now leaks butane and I can't use it anymore. What a waste of money, and a headache to use the whole time.
As for a pipe lighter I recommend Zippo! They're inexpensive and they're guaranteed for life. You can get one with the pipe insert for about $13. If you get one with the standard insert you can send it to Zippo requesting a pipe insert and they'll exchange the inserts. Awesome customer service at Zippo!
Here is a recent video I made regarding my Zippo and my Lotus that crapped out on me.

null

thuber88

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2013
Not a true pipe lighter, but hard to blow out, I have a fondness for Scripto view lighters, very simple design and u can always see your fuel.And it cant all evaporate if not used, unless a seal is going bad

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I have a Colibri Jazz I picked up on ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colibri-Jazz-Blue-and-Silver-Flint-Soft-Flame-Lighter-MSRP-74-95-NEW-FTR361003-/230847289666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bf921942 can't beat it.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
+1 on Zippo.
Fact is, you may eventually have more than one type lighter, each suited to its purpose. Zippo is about the only thing that I've found to be usable outside. When I'm indoors and wind isn't a problem I prefer a butane lighter with its smaller flame that I can aim more carefully. I'd like to get an Old Boy one day, but I'm not prepared to spend the bux for one right now.
One lighter I won't recommend is the Xikar Pipeline, which is an Old Boy knockoff. I absolutely love the design and the way it operates, but I've been through three of them and after a couple of weeks all of them stopped lighting. Funny thing, the spark was always strong and I could light the thing with a match and get a normal flame, but for some reason they would stop lighting with the flint. And yes, I used only Xikar fuel in them. A mystery. Now to their credit Xikar replaced every one of them no questions asked, but I finally asked for a Resource as a replacement, which just arrived yesterday. Wish me luck with it!

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Disposable Bics, 5pack for $4.00.

I think that's the best overall suggestion for convenience, price and reliability, but I've been down that road and I got tired of burning my thumb! I need to either get better coordinated or just plain man up.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I just ordered a few of their "pipe" models. I am coming to the conclusion that different pipes and different situations call for different lighting methods.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I use disposable no-name butanes. My tobacconist gives one to me at no charge whenever I purchase anything. They're refillable, work fine and most of them are even attractive. :puffy:

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I purchased a JetLine pipe lighter at a B&M in Boise for less than $30 last Summer. It is a soft flame butane. I have had problems with butane lighters in the past but this one keeps on chugging.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I don't own that more-expensive model, I own a JetLine Bolla

It has a pull-out detachable tamper/pick in the bottom.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I bought the Bolla because that model was the one for sale at the B&M. :oops: I usually do more research before buying but I wanted to support the shop as the owner has been very good to me in the past.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I have expensive lighters. But, the old Bic's do the job pretty well. They always lite. If I lose one, no big deal.
I pick up 5 pack's of Bic's at the Dollar store for a $1.00. These are the long Bic's. It's just ridiculous to spend a lot of money on a lighter when there so cheap and available everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.