PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Hey guys. I'm looking for an inexpensive pipe lighter. Any recommendations? I had a Prometheus that broke down on me. I bought a used pipe lighter on Ebay (Brand CETO) that is very unreliable. So I am on the hunt for a great lighter that wont break the bank (and keep the wife off my back).
I know many here use matches and I have in the past but I found lighters to be easier and more convenient.

Thanks for the help.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Before you end up spending $100 on cheap lighters that will fail, go get a Corona Old Boy. They are everything that you have heard about them.
Barring that, the Zippo pipe lighter is cheap, and 100% reliable, given the lifetime warranty. If you don't mind the smell of semi-combusted lighter fluid in your pipe, that is.
A pack of matches is cheaper, yet.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I generally use matches, but I have a Zippo pipe lighter that works well. Some people are more sensitive to the fuel taste than others. Personally, I rarely notice it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
When I was little, my father taught me to identify solvents by their smell. Ethyl Acetate, Xylene, and a plethora of others. The aroma of naptha just strikes me as the polar (pun intended) opposite of what I want in a pipe.
Then again, if your first girlfriend always smelled like naptha, it might not be a bad thing.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
If you are wanting the "Rolls Royce" acquire a Dunhill Rollagas off eBay and get Dunhill to convert it for the pipe. The Rollagas gives a gentle reliable flame which will not scorch the bowl rim and the conversion allows an easy downward direction of the flame. I have never regretted doing just this; it is my No 1 pipe accessory and the 'bees knees' for indoor smoking. However it is no use outside in a breeze !!

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Before you end up spending $100 on cheap lighters that will fail, go get a Corona Old Boy. They are everything that you have heard about them.

+1. Mine has seen ten years of absolutely trouble-free use and I expect it'll do another ten years easily.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I run Djeep lighters they are larger than bics and have an adjustable flame. They run around $2 and have not let me down yet.

~Ron

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I bought a Xikar pipeline, it's great but no good if there is the slightest wind. Several members of the pipe club have a Xikar Resource lighter with pipe tools included and they all rave about it. I also have a Zippo with pipe insert and it has never failed me. To avoid the smell just light the flame, wait a second or two then touch it to the tobacco and I've never detected a smell in the tobacco.
Oh ya the Xikar also has a lifetime warranty.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I have a zippo pipe lighter and I dont notice the taste or smell of the fluid if I let it burn for a couple seconds before lighting my tobacco and its pretty cheap. Like less then 20 bucks on SmokingPipes

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have a Xikar Resource Lighter, which is outstanding, except in very windy conditions. I am going to go back to a zippo for those outdoor smokes on windy days. The only thing which has kept me away from the zippo is how much it reminds me of my days smoking darts. I loved my zippo. I loved the gassy smell of the first light, and the sweet, sweet... never mind; I'm digressing.
So yes. +1 for the Xikar Resource Lighter with the lifetime guarantee.
-- Pat

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@wood, great! Dunhill did it for free on a mint Dunhill 'Signature' Rollagas that I got for $150 on eBay (a third the price of a new one) It alters the flame angle, that's all. It ain't mint anymore, but it is beautifully engineered and will outlive me !!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@wood, you are right! Mine is downright conservative - all stainless steel with "Dunhill" in large raised letters (hence 'signature') on each side. If I was any good at posting pics I'd do it ! LOL

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Roth, it was indeed expensive, as lighters go, but I don't have a drawerful of lighters (indeed any) that don't work, so in the long run perhaps economical !! LOL Plus, it will be a family heirloom, along with my best pipes, all of which cost me more.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I should have noted that I have the Xikar Pipeline lighter, similar in looks to the Old Boy lighters and agree wholeheartedly with Roth on the next door neighbours fart!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The Colibri Connaught II. I picked one up for about $42.
Have had it for well over a year and it has never failed me. Angled and easily adjustable soft flame. No weird lighter fluid smell. Fluid window shows how much is in the lighter. No flints to buy. Built-in tamper and aerator as well. Can't beat it IMHO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8hH7ntOwCs

Status
Not open for further replies.