PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I recently received my new IM Corona Old Boy and am now able to compare it to the other lighters I've tried. I thought it might be helpful for others who are in the market to compare the three.
The three lighters I will compare are my Zippo (with pipe insert), a Colibri Connaught II, and a IM Corona Old Boy. All of these pipes have a soft flame (as opposed to torch lighters which no one should use with a pipe) - but even still, not all are equal in that category.
Colibri Connaught II
ColibriLighter.jpg

There's lots to like about this lighter. One is the fuel window that lets you know how much fuel you have left. It has a built-in tamper (which I find very useful). It never needs flints since it uses a quartz ignition. Also the flame is angled, so it drops right into the pipe bowl. It has a bit of heft to it, definitely a good solid feel in the hand.
And even though this lighter broke on me recently, it did go almost 2 years with nary a problem and I intend to send it in for repair since it comes with a 2 year warranty (same as the Old Boy).
IM Corona Old Boy
blog_Corona-Old-Boy-Pipe-Lighter-Chrome-with-LInes.jpg

Having used the Colibri for a while, I've noticed that there are some (minor) drawbacks with the Old Boy. No fuel window is one. And being an old style lighter, you need to raise the cap to allow the fuel to expel. This means that it stays lit even if you drop the lighter. Not a big deal I suppose, but the Colibri only stays lit if you depress the lever - so if you drop it, it immediately goes out.
But I have to say it has one *major* advantage. The flame is extremely gentle, more so than the Colibri. At first I wasn't sure just why, but I believe it's because the fuel vapor only "leaks" out whereas the Colibri "gushes" out and creates a hotter flame. It is also angled like the Colibri so it goes straight into the bowl and won't scorch the rim.
It also has a built-in tamper that works very well (a big plus in my book).
Zippo
1_1023771_MD.jpg

This lighter is a favorite for many and there's good reason. These lighters were the mainstay for many people back in the day. They're inexpensive and still come with a lifetime warranty. My Dad had a zippo when I was growing up, so there's definitely a bit of nostalgia when I use this lighter.
But for me, they are not the "ultimate" pipe lighter. It has no tamper. The fuel has a strong odor and I can taste it when lighting my pipe. Not that objectionable, but it's there. Filling it is a bit of a pain compared to a butane lighter and it ran out of fuel pretty quickly (seemed to be more from evaporation that use). One other drawback is that it has a fairly large wick and so the flame is a bit unwieldy compared to the butane lighters.
Outdoors: All three lighters performed the same. None of of these is very easy to stay lit in a breeze, but none performed better than the other.
The Verdict
Out of these three, for me personally, the winner is the Old Boy and mainly for one important reason - the direct, yet very gentle flame. It doesn't over heat the tobacco like my Colibri did and it's more direct and in control than my zippo.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Very nice review. I just bought an Old Boy recently and understand what you mean. I still love my Zippos still but the Old Boy is just great.

Dec 24, 2012
I have three Old Boys and they are fantastic lighters. I rarely use them though. Why? Because to me, the Corona Pipemaster is the ultimate pipe lighter. No fuel window, but it holds a ton of fuel. Built-in tamper too. And the flame is perfectly angled to drop into the bowl. It has quartz ignition, which offers the benefits you outline. The drawback is that eventually all quartz ignition systems fail. So far though, I have had my Pipemaster almost two years. It has been dropped countless times and is scarred and blemished, but so far has kept on ticking. I got mine for $80, and to be honest, if it gave up the ghost now I would still consider myself well served and would buy another immediately.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys!
The drawback is that eventually all quartz ignition systems fail. So far though, I have had my Pipemaster almost two years. It has been dropped countless times and is scarred and blemished, but so far has kept on ticking. I got mine for $80, and to be honest, if it gave up the ghost now I would still consider myself well served and would buy another immediately.
That's how I feel about my Colibri (spent $40 on it). It has taken a lot of abuse and while it did break recently, performed very well otherwise. However, the flame was overly hot - something I didn't really mind until I rec'd my Old Boy. Now I see a big difference.
Curious, in your opinion, does the Pipemaster run hotter like my Colibri did or is it about the same as the Old Boy?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The fuel has a strong odor and I can taste it when lighting my pipe....
Outdoors: All three lighters performed the same. None of of these is very easy to stay lit in a breeze, but none performed better than the other.
Letting it burn for a second eliminates all trace of fuel odor (assuming the latest Zippo fuel in black can). And I (and from what I've read, most other people) tend to have experienced that the Zippo is the only one that stays lit outdoors, in a good breeze, long enough to light a pipe.
I do concur about the quick evaporation though. I have to fill my Zippo once a week.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have a beautiful Old Boy with a sandblasted briar finish and gold hardware and it is by far the best pipe lighter I have used. I have a Zippo also that works fine, though I too taste the fuel when I light up. The Zippo is better in the wind, but I typically just use the Old Boy in the garage on a windy day.

Dec 24, 2012
numbersix - I haven't noticed any difference in how hot the flame burns. It seems the same to me. I just fired up both and I don't see a difference.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
numbersix - I haven't noticed any difference in how hot the flame burns. It seems the same to me. I just fired up both and I don't see a difference.
Thanks Peck - nice to know. Everyone sure seems to like the Pipemaster.

adam2

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
Nice review. Congrats with the Old Boy, I am also a big fan of that lighter even that it is quite expensive compared to the other two.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have two Zippos, and enjoy them. I bought the 2nd on eBay to try out their warranty and exchange the insert for a pipe inserts. Great service.
I did watch a man at one of the pipe shows spend 10-15 minutes trying to get his expensive lighter full and working. It looked fidgety to me.
Winton

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I did watch a man at one of the pipe shows spend 10-15 minutes trying to get his expensive lighter full and working. It looked fidgety to me.
From my limited experience, this lighter is a little bit more work than the Colibri, but less work than my zippo. Still - no matter what, I think every lighter brings positives and negatives.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
Nice reviews. I like my Zippo. Made in USA and comes with a lifetime warranty. Relatively inexpensive too.
I bought a Colibri torch lighter for my cigars a while back but it broke rather quickly. I then bought a Zippo Blu and have been happy since.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Butane burns at 1977°C, regardless of the brand of lighter you select. The temperature is determined by the fuel. A torch lighter has a way of adding additional oxygen to the butane to create a different fuel mixture, and so it burns at nearly 2700°C. Naphtha, the fuel used by a Zippo burns about 1200°C cooler than butane.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
If you smoke pipes with a deep bowl try a slide lighter if you can find one.Easy to adjust and east to direct the flame.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've been using an Old Boy off and on for maybe 15 years. I've lost two of them over the years but have had my current one for a bit over two years. I've sent an Old Boy off twice for service. Both times have been inexpensive, quick and easy ordeals. The darn things are functional art in my opinion. The best $100.00 one can spend in my pipe smoking experience.
I've been using a Zippo for longer. They never fail, except when empty, of course. The only thing that keeps me from being an exclusive user of Zippos is the difficulty in the false light. I just don't find it to be as complete of a light. I've taken to keeping a box of wooden matches with it to accomplish the charring light.
In my experience, Colibri is Italian for "beautiful junk". My wife, a cigarette smoker has had several. Each dies a quick death. I've spent enough time in local pipe shops to hear more complaints than I care to remember.
My third choice is the Lotus brand. Reasonable price, works fairly well and I've yet to lose one.
Mike S.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Butane burns at 1977°C, regardless of the brand of lighter you select.
Eric, on a technical basis, I can believe it. And maybe I am kidding myself, but I honestly feel the Old Boy burns a lot cooler. With the Colibri, on multiple lights my tongue would feel scorched and I don't find this at all with the Old Boy.
In my experience, Colibri is Italian for "beautiful junk". My wife, a cigarette smoker has had several. Each dies a quick death. I've spent enough time in local pipe shops to hear more complaints than I care to remember.
I have to admit, most people say the same so it's worth noting. I can only speak to my experience which was (surprisingly) very positive. In fact, for $9.50 they will replace the one that broke. So I will see how well the next one does.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
"I have to admit, most people say the same so it's worth noting. I can only speak to my experience which was (surprisingly) very positive. In fact, for $9.50 they will replace the one that broke. So I will see how well the next one does."
Hey, if ya got a good one, don't worry, right? All lighters, except perhaps the Zippo have a lifespan.
Mike S.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I love my Old Boy, and use it incessantly. If I'm where there's a breeze, like when on my boat, a Zippo can't be beat, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.