PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I lied! Seems most of the listed sites do not have under $10.00 lighters. Amazon has a few listed. I'm not familiar with any of the brands listed and can't attest to the quality.
When I want an angled flame I just tilt my bowl and the Bic, my Peterson or the trusty old Zippo.

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
IMCO lighters would be my pick....unfortunately, they went out of business and the cheapest versions are impossible to find now. Smokingpipes may have some of the "fancier" versions available with the tamper built in but slightly higher than your price point but worth it,

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
One of the guys I play softball with gave me his old Nimrod. It's basically a Zippo but designed for pipes.

I think there is a knock off of this style for a reasonable price?

med_nimrod.jpg

Here's an alternative!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have one of those, Mike. Can't keep the sucker lit in a light wind, but it's historical value makes it a must have!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Got an unused Nimrod in original box.
For daily use, I like the DJeep lighters. Angled ignition and large capacity. Get them in 4 packs on eby.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Chasingembers/Duane said:)I have one of those, Mike. Can't keep the sucker lit in a light wind, but it's historical value makes it a must have!
It IS problematic in the wind. I used mine today, outside, coincidentally. It was freshly filled and it worked in a breeze. I am totally into the fact of its memorabilia aspect. It's nice to have old pipes and old pipe stuff.

Mike in Florida

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine too was unused, brass, but those darned little things are a blast to play with! As for the original post, zippos with the pipe insert work great, and can be had for under $20. And yeah, Mike, love the old pipe and tobacco stuff. Have a few trench lighters in original condition that still work.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The Djeep that I have is a standard lighter - not an angled flame. Honestly, I've tried most of the inexpensive options, and most of them just don't have Zippo's quality. I'd seriously suggest sticking with matches until you can budget for a Zippo with a pipe insert. I keep my most recent refillable butane experiment around as a backup, but my go-to lighter has been my Zippo ever since I decided to take the plunge.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
There are some "no-name" lighters available online with an angled flame.I got mine for about 10$ and it has served me good so far. Search Google for pipelighter or angled flame

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I stand corrected. The Djeep flame is offset not angled:

My favorite lighter is my Vertigo Governor model pipe lighter. It does have an angled flame as well as a small tamper built into the base. It comes with a fabric case and cost me less than $18.00 from Amazon. Very well made but perhaps a tad heavy for the shirt pocket.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm seriously gonna eventually think about maybe perhaps sometime for sure gettin one a them wick systems.

I like that idea very much. The gentle continuous flame appeals, and if it's incorporated with a bic, for instance, much longer lifespan for the bic.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
ben, it uses a spool of 'wick' usually made from hemp from what I gather....there are many different kinds I think...Amazon has em....

dsc7635_single-lighters.png

alt_1-10-13-22.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.