PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
I have heard many people mentioning a nice pipe holder is very expensive.

Have anyone thought about using a test tube holder as a pipe holder?

e9bfd9df5146f74695f5b03d7e5a0fba.jpg

With a little or even no modification, this test tube holder should be able to work as a nice pipe holder.

The price for this test tube holder is $14 including shipping.

As a holder that can hold 12 pipe, the price is not that bad (comparing to those cost $64 on the tobacco seller's website).
Is this a good idea?

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Oh wow, who knows.... Willing to gamble?? You could throw stain on there too

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
it may work. I would think the bottom of the pipe holder would need to a little wider if you were placing them bowl down.

But who knows...give it try..you may have given alot of us a cheap way to make a pipe holder...though my egg carton is working quite nicely

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You can get some estate racks that would work better, for less than $20 on Etsy. Just search "Pipe Racks". One vendor only carries racks and I think all are under the $20 mark. My daughter bought one from that vendor in December for her boyfriend.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I use a plastic shipping container filled with bubblewrap and plastic dividers... Cost= $0

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
I have a couple free from hospital works great . http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-131525-Multi-Screwdriver-Holder-Hook/dp/B0058I44WE . I also use these multi screwdriver holders for the pipes in my shop , and i have a couple on an end table in my den . I drill two holes in the tables and stick the pegs in . I have some racks with tobacco jars too , but i have pipes all over , and my knock around pipes often play musical racks . :D

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Etsy: A good idea I can never seem to remember! I have a couple that I've gotten at lea markets, from $4-$18, holing from 4-10 pipes, with and without tobacco jars. I think I just enjoy the thrill of the hunt!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
bought a 7 and 12 pipe holder on Esty,good racks cheap

I agree. With the exception of the one I bought from Lonestar, all mine were bought on ebay. I paid about $24 for one and it came with 4 pipes. It holds 4 pipes, and has a humidor that still has it's seal. I've since given the pipes away, but I was beginning and it helped give me a rotation. Another was around $25 bucks and came with no pipes, but it had a little duck decoy on it, and I rather like ducks so it was worth it to me. It holds 3 pipes. The third was part of a lot of pipes. It was around $50 for the lot which came with 6 or 7 pipes, an old Kaywoodie ad that was framed and the rack, which holds ten pipes and has a humidor. The humidor doesn't have the rubber seal anymore, so I use it for holding accessories. If you look, you can find some good deals on ebay. Plus some of the racks are really cool. I saw one that looked like a treasure chest, the chest opened and had a humidor inside. I thought it was really cool.

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
I love ebay and etsy type sites but I much prefer searching the piles at flea markets and antique stores. It is nice to support local business but its mostly because I have a chance at haggling them down lol.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've found racks on eBay and at flea markets/antique stores etc. I prefer the fun of hunting them down as well.
On another note, has anyone ever tried using old silverware boxes for pipe storage? I see these often at Value Village up here, and they look easily modded to accommodate pipes. Provided of course you don't want them openly displayed.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
Wow... there are so many great idea.

Egg carton.... I have never thought about this :worship:

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
I will have to give the test tube rack idea a try. Assuming I can find an old style test tube rack in our stock room (we generally use a much different style). If so I will borrow it and try it out when I get home.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Put this photo on another thread but the stand in it fits this thread. An ancillary benefit was drinking the libation.
pipestand_zpsfe315dfb.jpg

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
mirain, I'm big into re purposing things and that's just fantastic! Looks like a miniature French cafe chair.
Lots of great ideas here. Great thread!
I was fortunate enough to pick up a 4 pipe rack on the bay for around 5 bucks including shipping. Deals are out there...

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Looks like a miniature French cafe chair.

There are lots of things that can be made from champange cages (furniture, animals, etc). It's fun to do at parties. The kids love it and it's a great conversation starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.