PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Anybody place an order with P&C in the last few days and both get a free pipe and like to share with the class for show and tell?

Or otherwise know what it could be?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't. However, I love P&C deals. One of my favorites was a Tsuge "tasting pipe." It sounded pretty good for forty bucks, so I took the bait. It turned out to be a full-size pipe, probably a larger group four, pleasant light weight, with a delicate but impressive blast finish (black), and the distinct fit and finish of a Tsuge. I'd always wanted one, but they are pricey. I felt like I'd hit the jackpot. You can get some junk going low-end, but usually not with P&C, or I never have. I enjoyed figuring how this happened, and I think it was something like, Tsuge made a group of pipes for some event, perhaps even as hand-outs, but was too proud to lower the quality, so ended up with a carton of these. P&C got the carton and gave their customers the price break. I am a happy owner.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Ok, so I called them. The woman said: it can be be ANY pipe except for a Dr. Grabow cuz nobody wants them... ha ha, I found that amusing, I'm really trying to like my Omega, my first pipe was a grabow that belonged to the gf of the guy that introduced me to pipes. Well, tobacco pipes anyway..

So that's interesting. If I place an order I'll report back with my findings. Likewise, for those that receive please leave a comment..

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I’m expecting to be giving mine away to a new pipe smoker at a club meeting. Let’s face it, they’re giving them away because they didn’t sell. Just a smart business that understands the concept of a sunk cost and making the best of inventory that’s not moving and taking up valuable space. I wish my local B&M would figure that out and discount his grossly overpriced tins that haven’t sold and probably never will. Clear the limited space on the shelf for tobacco that actually sells and get a bit of revenue along the way.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Ha! This is kind of funny. The majority of the tins that my local B&M hasn’t sold are Sutliff Private Stock blends. P&C is blowing them out at $3.50, except for Molto Dolce. Clearing the decks!

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Oh I agree, on the giveaway and the B&M. B&M issues could be another thread. I rarely leave one in a good mood..

As for the giveaway I'm just curious. Given that I got a whoping 10% off and the giveaway I'm still on the fence since SP.com has more of what I want. Really I have to be pretty creative if I want to use my 10% off and get the free pipe. To bad the deal want available a week or so ago when I got the Danish Stanwells..

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Can anyone recommend a good private stock blend? Besides molto dolce? Or is that the best one?

If they're all aromatic don't even bother..

B&M hasn’t sold are Sutliff Private Stock blends.

The Briary has some of their tins dating back years. And, at pipe shows they used to give you a big bag of Sutliff tins. I've always wondered who actually spends money on Sutliff. Or, are they in the giveaway business? I have never actually seen someone buy one. Oh, I am sure it happens. But, like hamsters screwing, I've never actually seen it happen.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I still have a bunch of Sutliff Private Stock tins from a pipe show several years ago. I sent a tin of, I think, Old San Francisco to an online buddy a few months back. Otherwise, I’m always opening something else that’s further up my list of tins to try. Those that I’ve tried have been pretty decent. I’m thinking that I should follow my own advice and clear them out. Just divide the lot into aromatics, VAs, and English, then sell them. The tins are bulky.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Can anyone recommend a good private stock blend?
I ordered three tins of Blend No.5 (English blend). I can't recommend it because I've never tried it but I enjoy English blends and I figure for $3.50 a tin...why not? JimInks gave it 3.5 stars and Pipestud gave it 4 stars...that doesn't mean I'll like it but their reviews put me over the fence.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Well the order came and no free pipe. I think it may be my error though so oh well. It's not like I NEED another pipe. Ho hum.

Anybody get one and would like to share with the rest of the class??

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I got one yesterday. It's a basket pipe. No nomenclature at all. The box was labeled Scirocco. Actually looks decently made, though. It's a black sandblasted bent bulldog with a briar shank adornment, natural smooth beveled rim, and an uncoated bowl. I would call it a group 3 in size. I plan to give this pipe to a new smoker.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A little off topic, but Cosmic asked, "I've always wondered who actually spends money on Sutliff." Nothing in the "Private Stock" line appeals to me, but I think most VaPer lovers would be pleasantly surprised by 1849 and Match Elizabethan.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoyed the joke from the PC staffer, but I am an admirer of Dr. Grabow, and especially their Royalton line with acrylic stems, and especially the artfully shaped bulldog version. Likewise, Sutliff may be in surplus at PC, but as Sable' points out from time to time, Sutliff provides tobacco and blends for many up-market blends that members covet, and some of the aromatics sold at good prices are among the better (what I call) tobacco-forward blends that use the flavoring to skillfully background the good base leaf. So don't necessarily jump aboard the convenient rap about how some inexpensive products are inferior. You can talk yourself out of some good pipes and leaf.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
My Giggle pipe arrives Tuesday!... Bought a round of the sutcliffs , I'll smoke the #5.. The others will cellar... and 5 tins of Blackhouse.. Ill let you know about the pipe...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Anyone who needs to clear out their aromatics need just contact me. Now, Vintage Pipes at Etsy is run by a terrific guy who sends a bunch of goodies with your order. I got an art deco pipe astray from him, and he send along 3 small packages of sample baccys, pipe cleaners, and a horseshoe nail as a tamper.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Seems that someone at UPS wanted my free pipe more than I did. UPS reports that the box arrived at distribution center open and empty. Good thing the pipe was shipped separate from the tobacco!!! They said they will contact seller and explain. Eh, it was a freebie anyway. I was mostly just curious to see what they would send.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My son-in-law wanted to place an order and didn't have a large enough order for the free shipping. So I added some JC Smyrna, Dunhill EMP and Molto Dolce to his order to put him over...well it put him over enough to get the free pipe too. It's a H.I.S, Made in Italy with an itty-bitty bowl. He prefers bigger bowls. I can't wait to see the expression on his face when I give the pipe to him this weekend. :rofl: Not complaining...after all, it was free.
20181011_143821-600x265.jpg

20181011_143841-600x217.jpg

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Interesting, thanks for reporting back. The deal is over now. I found it to be a strange promotion. I think this place used to give away a nice free pipe, once a month like a lottery. I wonder what happened with that. Did anyone here ever win one?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
P&C has a monthly sweepstakes. It's near the bottom of their homepage...if that's what you're referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.