Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I've had this happen twice with my new Brigham 184. Last Monday, after putting the pipe away for an hour or so, I relighted it and couldn't draw: it was like trying to suck molasses as they say. The blend in question was a shop English from my local B&M, ribbon cut (although the ribbons weren't really long). The tobacco was near bone dry, by the way. I used the three layer method to pack it.
Then, yesterday, same thing happened only halfway through the bowl. This time I was smoking some MacBaren Navy Flake that got really dry. I use the fold method to pack the pipe.
Both times I had to poke with the Czech tool like heck to be able to draw again. The pipe kept going out constantly.
Any ideas about this problem? Could it be the maple filter? My pipe is resting now, but I took out the filter and noticed that it draws more/easier without it than with it, but I've also read that some others use the filters no problem. I'm at a loss here.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
When that happens mid smoke, I run a pipe cleaner through the mouthpiece into the heel of the bowl and push out any tobacco or dottle that worked its way into clogging the draft hole. Sometimes I have to do that 2-3 times a bowl, sometimes not at all. I don’t use any filters so I couldn’t speak to whether or not that may be part of what’s going on. Hope you are able to figure it out and keep the smoke moving freely.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
txpiper07: unfortunately, the Brigham filters go into a receptacle at the end, and a pipe cleaner can't be run to the chamber with them on. I have to take the mouthpiece off in order to be able to run a cleaner to the chamber.
I think I see why some just can't stand filters.
Could be, Anthony, and the draught hole seems rather small to me to begin with.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Frustrating. That's one reason an unreasonably small draft hole drives me nuts. (The others are the gurgling and the hot smoking.) The cannonball method might be worth a try instead of the 3-layer pack.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
I consider the filter an option. I have a couple Brighams that smoke exceptional without the filter.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I smoked another half bowl to-day with a new filter. I didn't get any clog ups, but the last leg of the bowl kept going out, even immediately after lighting it. Maybe the tobacco is getting too wet at the bottom and that causes clog ups in addition to being impossible to light. At this rate this pipe won't get a good cake, methinks. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.