PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
So you guys are all great so far! I've only had one other thread and was greatly helped. Now my question is can anyone recommend me a $30-50 pipe? I have two MM cobs but would already like to expand. Maybe a link that describes in detail different types of pipes because I am totally clueless pretty much!
Thanks again for any and all help.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Here's a link to Smokingpipes.com
Right now I see a $30 H.I.S. estate pipe. Might be worth looking into. But this site is great because of the "Pipe Locator" you can search by a multitude of variables.
http://www.smokingpipes.com
If you can't find what you're looking for there this site has many other sponsors to browse through. GOOD LUCK!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If you only have $30 to $50 to spend on a pipe right now, my advice is to buy NOTHING. At least not right now. I suggest you keep saving until you have around $100, then get a new, GOOD pipe. A Peterson, Brebbia, Neerup, Johs or any of the good, solid, reputable pipe makers that are out there. I would NOT recommend speculating in estates, at least not now. There's too much garbage out there, too many burn-outs, and it's just too easy to end up with someone else's problems.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Check out Ejames recent post about Doc Grabows for sale. He does a fantastic job of rebuilding them, and they are typically the older adjustomatic versions, which smoke great. His prices are obscenely low, less than a blister pack DG at the drug store new, and you get a bit of nice history with them.
If you don't see one you like in his posts, just keep watching for them, or drop him a line.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/three-older-dr-grabows-for-sale

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
All my favorite pipes cost about $75 - $125. If you can wait, I'd recommend saving a bit more until you can get a better quality pipe that you will be happy smoking for a lot of years. Patience rewards pipe smokers.
Your cobs are just fine for the time being.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have to agree with the others. I only wish I had this philosophy down when I started. I ended up with a lot of briars that I didn't want because I was busy getting as many as I could afford rather than saving up and buying what I wanted. Cobs really are a great way to start out. Enjoy your cobs and explore the tobacco world while you are saving for a pipe that you want from a reputable pipe maker. Stanwell and Peterson are both excellent bang for your buck pipes and once in a while you can find something close to your price range in an estate. That being said, If you are looking for an estate Stanwell or Peterson I HIGHLY recommend you buy one from one of our sponsors versus from ebay or someone that you don't know. Let us know how it all works out.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
Well you guys know what you are talking about so I will def wait. When I was visiting my mom in Roanoke, Va last week I stopped into Milan Tobacconists and the pipes that were $30-$50 were all thrown into a basket sitting on a bottom shelf so what you say makes sense...

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
matts26, I'd be happy to trade you one of my pipes for that sandwich in your avatar. But I'm hungry right now.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A lot of good, British made pipes go on Ebay for $20 - $30. I'd be happy to help evaluate and even polish one up for you. PM me if you want to go that route.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You can get a new Wellington at pipesandcigars.com for $32 right now and I love mine. I will add, though, if you can manage to save the $100 for a nice Peterson, do it! I have a Peterson 303 shape with a fishtail stem and it is excellent! However many pipes you own from whatever price range, you won't regret getting something nice.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
bigvan thats called the "Homewrecker" from the BBQ Blues Company in downtown Roanoke go help yourself it's one of the best i've ever had!

AL I will keep that in mind and baron I think I might buy another cob right now and wait on buying something till I have a $100 or more.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Also, my first few pipes were all ebay buys and I didn't pay over $20. This included my Meer, a couple of Longchamps, a Ciro, a Kaywoodie from 1955 and a no-name English billiard pipe. I still smoke all of them, but they did require some cleaning and in the case of the Meer, some repair ($3 in parts). If you really want to understand pipes, there's nothing like fixing them up.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Well you guys know what you are talking about so I will def wait. When I was visiting my mom in Roanoke, Va last week I stopped into Milan Tobacconists and the pipes that were $30-$50 were all thrown into a basket sitting on a bottom shelf so what you say makes sense...
don't let these people scare you.
plenty of wonderful pipes out there for under $50.
For under $50, I have picked up:
1937 Kaywoodie that needed very minor and easy repairs to make perfect.
A 1950 era panel Kaywoodie that PawPaw now has that was basically unsmoked.
Numerous Adjustomatic style Doc Grabows that smoke fantastically, as well as a push stem Savoy that is one of my best smokers.
a brand new Mitchel Thomas pipe (which is in reality an Aldo Velani) that looks and smokes lie a $200 pipe.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yes,it is possible to get good pipes from ebay. It is also possible to end up with junk - especially if you do not know what you are doing. It's much better to wait to venture into estate pipes until you have some idea of what you are doing.
I would recommend you wait, save your cash, and then drop that $100 on a new pipe by one of the well-established names mentioned in this thread. Stanwell, Peterson, Savenelli - all solid names. (As for H.I.S. - mentioned above - I have a couple I got from a friend who quit smoking. They are nothing to get excited about.)

Jul 12, 2011
Also agree, wait and get a nice hand-made...I purchased a nice Boswell shotshell rusticated for a little under $100, one of my best smokers...they put out new designs every Thursday morning around 10AM...Also Jake Hackert, Mark Balkovec is putting out a The "P3" Pedone Poket Pipe (see image below), also Mark Tinsky pipes (under $200) you can get a nice blast from him, his pipes are also outstanding
Maybe an idea is to snag a few clays as well...also some nice ones out there...
A Markus Fohr Style #9

mf_09_lg.jpg

Balkovec P3

8092014_orig-600x348.jpg

Jake Hackert #14

jakehackert-sm-600x4501.jpg

Mark Tinsky X-Mas 2011 Blast

blast2011xmas.png

Boswell ShotShell

boswellshotshell-448x600.jpg

or perhaps a custom cob from 'ol SD ;-)

thesmokindragon-5thave-black-and-tan-rogue-waves-600x448.jpg