PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbrandybuck

Might Stick Around
Aug 17, 2010
Massachusetts
I noticed while cleaning my new corncob today that it came with a pipe filter. I'm wondering, how long does a pipe filter last? Do they need to be replaced? And should I put a pipe cleaner through the filter to clean it out?

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
When ever I pick up a new cob the filter goes in the trash on my way out the door. The thing is you will need to do a bit more cleaning without it but I prefer the draw of the filterless.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Other than the fact that I have a deep and abiding hatred for pipe filters, they serve no useful purpose as I see it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pipe filters, people either swear by them or swear at them. Though immensely popular in Europe, here in the U.S. most pipe smokers I know prefer not to use them, and they recite a litany of reasons for this. It's best to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.
Answering your questions in reverse order:

• 1) The medico filters in corncob pipes have minute paper baffles which will be crushed if you run a pipe cleaner through them. This will compromise their ability to block the particles they were intended to trap.

2) The filters have a limited useful life and should be replaced. The more frequently, presumably the better. Refill filters are available just about wherever pipe supplies are sold.

3) Filters trap particles, but they also absorb a lot of moisture; so you should consider replacing them when they become soggy, lest they begin to foul the pipe stem.
I personally don't advocate the use of filters in fine pipes; but in a corncob I find them necessary to block ash and create a good draft.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
To quote cortezattic, "...I personally don't advocate the use of filters in fine pipes; but in a corncob I find them necessary to block ash and create a good draft."
This is my approach to filters! The plumbing in a cob is considerably larger and less precise than a regular pipe so I seem it have better draft/trash results with a filter in a cob. I use Grabow filters simply because I can find them anywhere.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I take the same approach as Cortez and flanative, I have filters that I use in my corn cob pipes and any pipe that tends to bring ash through, but other than that I find them useless...

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
Oops, atributed the quote to the wrong guy! I owe ya one cortezattic!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Hold filter between thumb and index finger in a vertical position . Use the the middle finger of your free hand to thump it out in the yard . Problem solved ,enjoy pipe .

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Got no use for filters. To block trash in my cobs I use a screen. Many hardware stores have them (tell them it's for the aerator in your kitchen faucet, they'll know what it is). Since I usually forget to get them when I'm in a hardware store, I usually get them from P&C, 10/$3.99.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipetools.html

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Hold filter between thumb and index finger in a vertical position . Use the the middle finger of your free hand to thump it out in the yard . Problem solved ,enjoy pipe .
Heavens you jest.....one cannot litter in their own back yard. Everyone thinks cigarette filters will degrade, but they are not bio-degradable as they are made of a plastic acetate and will remain laying on the ground for centuries.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Yawn , get your chemicals right . They are made of wood cellulose and then acetyl the same type asprin is made of . Quit spray painting your killing baby birds . LMAO

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Found this on the web:
Facts
"[Cigarette butts] also present a threat to wildlife. Cigarette filters have been found in the stomachs of fish, birds, whales and other marine creatures who mistake them for food ... Composed of cellulose acetate, a form of plastic, cigarette butts can persist in the environment as long as other forms of plastic."

--Clean Virginia Waterways
There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding cigarette butt litter. The biggest myth is that cigarette filters are biodegradable. In fact, cigarette butts are not biodegradable in the sense that most people think of the word. The acetate (plastic) filters can take many years to decompose. Smokers may not realize that their actions have such a lasting, negative impact on the environment.
This myth has been perpetuated not just by the wishful thinking of many smokers, but also by the cigarette companies, who have taken great pains to keep their customers in the dark on this issue. It is very common for highly littered items such as soda cans, snack wrappers, and fast food containers to have a simple "Please Don't Litter" message. You won't find such a message on cigarette packs. Although our contacts in the industry are at a loss as to why they can't take this simple step, our best guess is that they would prefer to leave their customers blissfully ignorant. Maybe they think that people will smoke fewer cigarettes if they have to be responsible for disposing of them. We think they ought to give their customers the benefit of the doubt. Smoking and littering do not have to be synonymous, as many smokers have proven by example.
What happens after that butt gets casually flicked onto the street, nature trail, or beach? Typically wind and rain carry the cigarette into the water supply, where the toxic chemicals the cigarette filter was designed to trap leak out into aquatic ecosystems, threatening the quality of the water and many aquatic lifeforms. Cigarette butts may seem small, but with several trillion butts littered every year, the toxic chemicals add up!

Status
Not open for further replies.