Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe filters?

(48 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by mrbrandybuck
  • Latest reply from andrew
  1. mrbrandybuck

mrbrandybuck

Login to Send PM

I noticed while cleaning my new corncob today that it came with a pipe filter. I'm wondering, how long does a pipe filter last? Do they need to be replaced? And should I put a pipe cleaner through the filter to clean it out?

"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."
    — J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. ernest

ernest

Login to Send PM

Throw the filter away.Peterson pipes don't even use them.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. duncan

duncan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When ever I pick up a new cob the filter goes in the trash on my way out the door. The thing is you will need to do a bit more cleaning without it but I prefer the draw of the filterless.

Why does it seem that todays youth has added lead paintchips to their daily diet!?!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Filter?... Filter?.... What the heck is a filter?

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Other than the fact that I have a deep and abiding hatred for pipe filters, they serve no useful purpose as I see it.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Pipe filters, people either swear by them or swear at them. Though immensely popular in Europe, here in the U.S. most pipe smokers I know prefer not to use them, and they recite a litany of reasons for this. It's best to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

Answering your questions in reverse order:

1) The medico filters in corncob pipes have minute paper baffles which will be crushed if you run a pipe cleaner through them. This will compromise their ability to block the particles they were intended to trap.
      2) The filters have a limited useful life and should be replaced. The more frequently, presumably the better. Refill filters are available just about wherever pipe supplies are sold.
      3) Filters trap particles, but they also absorb a lot of moisture; so you should consider replacing them when they become soggy, lest they begin to foul the pipe stem.

I personally don't advocate the use of filters in fine pipes; but in a corncob I find them necessary to block ash and create a good draft.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. flanative

flanative

Login to Send PM

To quote cortezattic, "...I personally don't advocate the use of filters in fine pipes; but in a corncob I find them necessary to block ash and create a good draft."

This is my approach to filters! The plumbing in a cob is considerably larger and less precise than a regular pipe so I seem it have better draft/trash results with a filter in a cob. I use Grabow filters simply because I can find them anywhere.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. bubbadreier

Bubba

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I take the same approach as Cortez and flanative, I have filters that I use in my corn cob pipes and any pipe that tends to bring ash through, but other than that I find them useless...

Mason jars and bale top jars, mason jars and bale top jars.... that is all!

"There’s truth in the statement that pipe tobacco will never be any less expensive than it is today, so think of your cellar as a cost averaged investment" - G.L. Pease
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. flanative

flanative

Login to Send PM

Oops, atributed the quote to the wrong guy! I owe ya one cortezattic!

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. strongirish

strongirish

Login to Send PM

Filters in my pipes are like condoms, they work somewhat but take too much of the pleasure away. Don't like nor use them.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

my cob pipe flows like the Mississippi without a filter in it.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. python

Bob

Would Smoke Rabbits if He Could Keep them Lit

Login to Send PM

Flanative Said: Oops, atributed the quote to the wrong guy! I owe ya one cortezattic!

I fixed it for you ;-).

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty;
    When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. python

Bob

Login to Send PM

I never use filters. Every once in awhile I will put one in a cob when I smoke a cob and remember why I don't use them.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. scratchglfr

scratchglfr

Login to Send PM

I have a Dr. Grabow I hate the filters. Can I smoke it without?

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. python

Bob

Login to Send PM

Yes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hold filter between thumb and index finger in a vertical position . Use the the middle finger of your free hand to thump it out in the yard . Problem solved ,enjoy pipe .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got no use for filters. To block trash in my cobs I use a screen. Many hardware stores have them (tell them it's for the aerator in your kitchen faucet, they'll know what it is). Since I usually forget to get them when I'm in a hardware store, I usually get them from P&C, 10/$3.99.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipetools.html

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Hold filter between thumb and index finger in a vertical position . Use the the middle finger of your free hand to thump it out in the yard . Problem solved ,enjoy pipe .
    [quote]

Heavens you jest.....one cannot litter in their own back yard. Everyone thinks cigarette filters will degrade, but they are not bio-degradable as they are made of a plastic acetate and will remain laying on the ground for centuries.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yawn , get your chemicals right . They are made of wood cellulose and then acetyl the same type asprin is made of . Quit spray painting your killing baby birds . LMAO

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Found this on the web:

Facts

"[Cigarette butts] also present a threat to wildlife. Cigarette filters have been found in the stomachs of fish, birds, whales and other marine creatures who mistake them for food ... Composed of cellulose acetate, a form of plastic, cigarette butts can persist in the environment as long as other forms of plastic."
    --Clean Virginia Waterways

There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding cigarette butt litter. The biggest myth is that cigarette filters are biodegradable. In fact, cigarette butts are not biodegradable in the sense that most people think of the word. The acetate (plastic) filters can take many years to decompose. Smokers may not realize that their actions have such a lasting, negative impact on the environment.

This myth has been perpetuated not just by the wishful thinking of many smokers, but also by the cigarette companies, who have taken great pains to keep their customers in the dark on this issue. It is very common for highly littered items such as soda cans, snack wrappers, and fast food containers to have a simple "Please Don't Litter" message. You won't find such a message on cigarette packs. Although our contacts in the industry are at a loss as to why they can't take this simple step, our best guess is that they would prefer to leave their customers blissfully ignorant. Maybe they think that people will smoke fewer cigarettes if they have to be responsible for disposing of them. We think they ought to give their customers the benefit of the doubt. Smoking and littering do not have to be synonymous, as many smokers have proven by example.

What happens after that butt gets casually flicked onto the street, nature trail, or beach? Typically wind and rain carry the cigarette into the water supply, where the toxic chemicals the cigarette filter was designed to trap leak out into aquatic ecosystems, threatening the quality of the water and many aquatic lifeforms. Cigarette butts may seem small, but with several trillion butts littered every year, the toxic chemicals add up!

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

hobie,

You forgot to add the closing statement that to save our environment, cigarette smokers should give up their death-sticks and pick up a pipe! LOL!

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah , we are talking pipe filters here . помешаться

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. dd951

dd951

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one pipe that uses A filter, A Dr Grabow. Without the filter the pipe draws too free, with A filter the pipe smokes perfectly. I change the filter after the third smoke and run A cleaner through the stem and shank at that time.

I would suggest you try A couple of smokes without the filter, then A couple with the filter, then do what is best for you, LOL there is some things that is just not written in stone.

Born Again Heathern
    Posted 3 years ago #
  24. chuckw

chuckw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe comes in the house and the filter is deposited in file 13. On Tuesdays and Saturdays file 13 is emptied and done away with.

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. bubbadreier

Bubba

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

dd951, I have a pipe like that also. THe filter help catch ash and loose tobacco but not much else!

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. searock

searock

Login to Send PM

I couldn't find this idea in the forum, so here goes.

A filter; usually the mark of a cheap pipe... but not always. When I was younger I smoked almost nothing but English, but as I got older I've had to tone it down a little. I guess I would be called a heavy pipe smoker; uaually about 10 bowls a day. I need something that doesn't rip the hide off my tongue after a few smokes. During the day I smoke Raleigh. That's right good old cheap, drug store Raleigh. I enjoy the taste and it doesn't scorch my tongue. The last couple of bowls in the evening are usually English of some type.

Different pipes smoke different tobaccos differently. I found that for Raleigh I get a good smoke from the Savinelli filter pipes and I do use the little balsa filters. I really think they are a rather clever and simple idea. All they do is absorbe moisture and tars but don't change the taste. I think they are more of a "passive absorber" than a filter. I like em.

What I don't like about them is the price. Even at wholsale I think they're overly expenive. I usually get 2 or maybe 3 smokes before I replace it and over a years time it can run into money. So, being a cheap s.o.b., I decided there had to be a better and cheaper way. I don't buy them any more. What I did is I bought a batch of balsa rods off ebay. 50 rods, 3 ft. long, 1/8 by 3/16 inchs, rectanular. Then I snap off little pieces in the right length to make my own. Cost about $15. and makes about 1000 filters. Trust me, the smoke doesn't care if they're triangular or rectangular. It works great and I figure I cut my cost big time.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. spacecowboy57

spacecowboy57

Login to Send PM

The filter needs to be replaced pretty often. i replace mine after every use, but you can get away with a couple of uses. I don't go out of my way to use them, but i will use them whenever i use a filter pipe. I find that with some cheaper tobaccos like captain black (which I personally enjoy) that the filter makes it taste better by removing a decent amount of oily and foul tasting tar. I would experiment to decide what you like best, it's all about preference TO EACH HIS OWN.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. wallbright

wallbright

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey searock, can you post a picture of your makeshift filters in rod form and cut? I have a Sav and would love to save money on filters.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sort of like the idea of balsa filters removing moisture. When I've tried them the smoke is a bit cooler and never "wet".

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. searock

searock

Login to Send PM

Oh, come on, do you really need a pic? It's just a little piece of wood after all... Besides, my wife loaned the camera. I'll go a little further since your interested. I make a little mark about 1.75" from the edge of my desk as a lenght guide, then I just hold the rod in one hand and lay it on the desk edge to the mark and start breaking them off one after another. So what if the breaks are a little ragged, who cares? Then I just drop them in a can I keep near the pipes. I can do this for 5 minues and save $10. Besides, I kinda like beating the system! Check ebay for balsa bundles and give it a try. It's easy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. chuckw

chuckw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get home with the brown paper bag like National Geographic used to come in, empty the new cobs onto the table, remove the stem, remove the fitler and drop them in the trash. I reinsert the stem and now I have something I can smoke.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. wallbright

wallbright

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, come on, do you really need a pic? It's just a little piece of wood after all... Besides, my wife loaned the camera. I'll go a little further since your interested. I make a little mark about 1.75" from the edge of my desk as a lenght guide, then I just hold the rod in one hand and lay it on the desk edge to the mark and start breaking them off one after another. So what if the breaks are a little ragged, who cares? Then I just drop them in a can I keep near the pipes. I can do this for 5 minues and save $10. Besides, I kinda like beating the system! Check ebay for balsa bundles and give it a try. It's easy.

Haha I just want to make sure I get the right ones :). I will search around and see what I can find.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. python

Bob

Login to Send PM

That's a great idea about the balsa filters Searock! Thanks for sharing it!

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. scratchglfr

scratchglfr

Login to Send PM

I smoked my DR Grabow filterless for the first time much better this is my only Briar and is still getting broke in. Looking to up grade soon.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. searock

searock

Login to Send PM

As I was putting a new balsa in a pipe I happen to think about this post and wondered if any of you tried my idea (above). If so, what do you think?

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

searock,
    I don't own any Savinellis that use the balsa filter, but I've bee toying with the idea of trying something similar in my Dr. Grabow & MM Corn Cob pipes that use the medico/grabow type filter. Think it would work?

-Jason

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. searock

searock

Login to Send PM

As long as they're the right size I don't see why not!

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. onizuka

onizuka

Login to Send PM

hey searock, did your home made balsa filters work out for you?

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. searock

searock

Login to Send PM

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, just noticed it... Or course they work, I've been doning this for years. I highly recommend it to all Savinelli smokers. As the old saying goes, "A piece of balsa is a piece of balsa". (sorry 'bout that)

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. 7thearl

7thearl

Login to Send PM

I have a few corn cobs.
    Filter I never use
    The draw is massive with the Dane and Pride that I have... I tend to just sip the smoke
    the results though are tongue-tastic!
    It's very sensitive to smoke going in through the mouth end
    and the bent stems are a pain in the ass to clean.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeguy93

Login to Send PM

Wow, this is an old thread.

I personally have never used filters, ever. This is just per the advice I was given when I first started. However, searock has a great idea! I just might have to try this in one of my Dr. Grabows. I don't really have tongue bite problems when I draw gently, nor do I notice any gurgling or anything. I do notice that my smoke feels wet, if that makes sense. May just have to give it a shot since I keep balsa around for fly tying.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. bassem

bassem

Login to Send PM

Filters are mainly used in Europe and specifically Germany. You can rarely find a German smoking a non filtered pipe. Adapters are made to replace filters should you like purchasing a filtered pipe.
    It is recommended to replace filters after each pipe smoke. The whole purpose of using filters as the Germans claim is to reduce dramatically the moisture that is usually absorbed by a pipe cleaner and to make the smoke draw a little bit cooler.
    The most common filters sold are manufactured by VAUEN and they are pipe makers as well. Savinelli pipes using 9mm Balsa will accomodate the regular Vauen filters. However the 6mm Savinelli pipes uses only the Balsa filters.

Whatever with the past has gone, the best is yet always to come
    Posted 2 years ago #
  43. danno

danno

Login to Send PM

I have a pipe made by Henryk Worobiec from Poland. It uses the 9mm Dr. Perl filters.
    I do sometimes find that using the filter can make an unpalatable tobacco easier to smoke.
    Sometimes even making it even pleasurable.
    In my view, having at least one pipe that uses a quality filter is a good thing.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will go through life thinking it is stupid.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  44. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

@bassem, Thanks for the information on Vauen and Savinelli filters.
    @searock, Great tip on home made balsa filters. We often overlook the obvious.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. tedvig

tedvig

Login to Send PM

I have both filtered and unfiltered pipes. They all serve their purpose. Bottom line is "to each, their own".

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. landsurfer

landsurfer

Login to Send PM

I have both filtered and unfiltered pipes. They all serve their purpose. Bottom line is "to each, their own".

Likewise; it's the best of both worlds.

Posted 10 months ago #
  47. krizzose

krizzose

Login to Send PM

I also like the Savinelli balsa "filters." Of course, they aren't filters at all in the same way that Medicos and paper filters are. A better word would be "insert." They are triangular so the smoke goes around and not through them, and the insert picks up excess moisture and a little bit of tar. I always change them after one use. They definitely pick up a lot of moisture, but the downside is that you cannot pass a pipe cleaner through it.

Even less a filter are the Brigham rock maple inserts, which are basically just a wooden tube. A pipe cleaner can pass through them, and they do a great job. With a good rinse after each use and swab with some alcohol every 4 or 5 smokes, they can last for 30 or so smokes without a problem.

To each their own. I think my Savinellis draw perfectly with the insert, and whether it's the great smoking qualities of the pipes or the inserts, I never get any gurgle in them and thus it doesn't bother me that I can't use a pipe cleaner while I'm smoking. I only have one Brigham, so I don't smoke it very often. In any event, my filterless pipes smoke well too, so I'm not sure it even matters.

Posted 10 months ago #
  48. andrew

andrew

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually like filters, finally got some filter pipes and decided to give it a try with some medico's, and I have to say I enjoy it. No gurgle, very cool smoke, nice draw, I like them. I also got a peterson with the charcoal filter, I've been enjoying that as well.

Posted 10 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jarit, tuold, mrenglish, rockymtnsmoker, antbauers, owen, newbroom, eightywon, misterlowercase, prndl, condorlover1