PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kais1

Lurker
Jun 3, 2016
do you disinfect your pipes?
do you do just the stem or the bowl too?
which is the best disinfectant to use?
any replies appreciated....tks

Mar 1, 2014
I use Isopropyl Alcohol in the stem and shank after every bowl, but not in the bowl itself other than what gets on the draft hole. Lots of people only sterilise periodically or when they start to smell something.

Isopropyl is perfectly safe in trace amounts (thus used for sterilising skin) and leaves no residue or smell after it evaporates.

Apparently some places add other things to their rubbing alcohol though, so it's probably good to check whether or not your local supply is a pure Isopropyl/water mix.

Ironically I've read that 70% is actually more effective at disinfecting because water is necessary in order for bacteria to absorb the alcohol, so the 99% stuff isn't necessarily "better", though I still prefer it because I assume I'm dissolving oils as much as killing bugs.
If you have a cheap supply of Everclear that's certainly not a bad option either. The only problem with regular high proof alcohol is I assume it will add a smell to the pipe, and of course it's probably more expensive.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Check out the information on this link. Pipedia

I've used the salt and alcohol method to reasonable success. Sometimes you will need to repeat the process on the pipe with a new load of salt and alcohol.

The retort method is another way to loosen old gunks in shanks and stems.

It involves heat and alcohol so, it can be dicey if you are not careful.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If you have a cheap supply of Everclear that's certainly not a bad option either. The only problem with regular high proof alcohol is I assume it will add a smell to the pipe, and of course it's probably more expensive.
Nope, Everclear, or any equivalent to it, will leave no trace of any aftertaste or smell. It's a rectified spirit of grain alcohol. I use something called Spirytus Wesoty or other brand names of grain alcohol which are the same as Everclear and a tad cheaper. Personally, I never use Isopropyl alcohol other than as a disinfectant for wounds as it has a distinct odor whereas grain alcohol is odorless.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
I have to agree. I have used the available "brand named" Everclear and it leaves behind no trace whatsoever.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have used Everclear for years. Have a bottle now. It last for years, and you can't much cheaper than that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I most definitely do not 'disinfect' my pipes daily, weekly or monthly. There's seldom anything to disinfect. Wiping the chamber with a damp paper towel will remove ash and prevent rapid cake build up. A pipe cleaner down the stem after a smoke is a good idea.
If a deep cleaning is needed, Everclear is the ticket. Just not more often than needed and be sure to clean the mortise.
Happy smoking!

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
To be sure, jpmcwjr! I only have to use the Everclear on a pipe if it has been completely compromised and gunked up. So, very rarely! :)

Mar 1, 2014
Phil:

Nope, Everclear, or any equivalent to it
Right, but what about regular Vodka or Whiskey? I have to assume that anything made for drinking that actually has any sort of flavour will also flavour the pipe.
It is kind of sad that we can get ethanol to run racecars but not for cleaning, around here isopropyl costs about 10x less. I envy those with a readily available supply of Everclear.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Right, but what about regular Vodka or Whiskey? I have to assume that anything made for drinking that actually has any sort of flavour will also flavour the pipe.
No harm whatsoever in using either. Not at all sure how much they will end up in flavoring a pipe, but I would lean towards using the Vodka as something like whiskey might possibly leave behind a sticky residue, but I'm not all that sure as I've never used either of them although I'm never short on the whiskey. :wink:

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
If using whiskey (or vodka) use the highest proof possible. It will have less sugars and sweeteners and will disappear more completely. I have used 101 proof vodka and Wild Turkey 101 with good results.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If you have a difficult time in getting Everclear just look for some of the many Polish made brands of neutral spirits grain alcohol as they are the same as Everclear.

Mar 1, 2014
Interesting, so I take it that you can't actually make anything "Vodka" flavored.

And taking the concept further, if it is flavorless does that mean using Vodka for re-hydrating tobacco will maintain the integrity of the toppings in the blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.