PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I keep eyeing these pipes when they pop up from time to time, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Anyone have any experience with them? I primarily smoke Virginias, but these things are so narrow. Are they good for flakes or are they more of a ribbon cut only affair? Along those same lines, how narrow a diameter is too narrow for flakes?

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I used to have one of those Pipe-Dan "shape-reformed" pipes. The chamber bore was around 15 mm in a bowl about 60mm deep. It was a nice looking pipe, but I found it completely useless for smoking. I did manage to smoke couple of half bowls of shag tobacco using a pencil as a tamper.
They even had mini-versions of those chimneys, with 12mm bore!:
RYeki0Z.png

( source: http://pipepages.com/61pipedancover.html )
I'm convinced that these were some kind of elaborate prank by the Danes -- same as Ann Julie pipes.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Pipesinperu,
Some of the finest wood I've ever seen were used on Pipe Dan pipes. They've been in business for more than 50 years and have employed some of Denmark's finest carvers to make their handmade pipes. They remain very coveted on the collector's market, too. If you can find one of the earlier models that used truly remarkably well cured wood, you will have a prize. The tall, thick bowls are wonderful for ribbon, crimp and shag cut blends. Although a tall, small bore pipe can be used for flake tobacco, I find that it is very difficult to keep the upper third of the bowl lit unless you either puff frequently or rub out the flakes really well before loading.
Pipestud

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Hmm, sounds interesting but maybe not what I'm looking for at the moment. Looking for a good flake pipe. What would be the smallest bore that you would want on a flake pipe? Is getting down into the 0.69-0.71 range still good?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Hmm, sounds interesting but maybe not what I'm looking for at the moment. Looking for a good flake pipe. What would be the smallest bore that you would want on a flake pipe? Is getting down into the 0.69-0.71 range still good? - pipesinperu
You will certainly get a variety of opinions on that question! Because most (but not all) flake tobacco is stronger a lot of people choose smaller pipes so as not to get overwhelmed by the strength. As for me, I rub out all flake tobacco and handle nicotine well, so bowl size is not an issue with me. Another thought espoused is that since flake tobacco normally smokes more slowly than a finer cut rubbed out, that the pipe bowl can get hot, thus, a thicker bowl is preferred. That's not a personal issue for me either.
Pipestud

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
In my opinion, .69-.71" of bore would be fine. My "flake pipes" tend to have tobacco chambers less than 1.5" in depth and .65-.75" in diameter. As Pipestud's example shows, however, there are no rules about flake pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.