Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Culture Documentary, "Father the Flame Flame" is Here!

(65 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by Kevin Godbee
  • Latest reply from lawdogspipes
  1. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Pipe Culture Documentary, "Father the Flame Flame" finally comes to fruition after 7-years in the making!
    http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/father-the-flame-movie-a-must-see-for-pipe-smokers-and-non-smokers-alike/

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Finally!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. the85boro

the85boro

Login to Send PM

I am anxiously waiting to see this. I even have some C&D Father the Flame delivering today so I can smoke a bowl or two while watching the film.

I even have some non-pipe smoking friends excited to see it. Maybe they will transition from the dark side!

Leaves Into Ash
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hell to the yeah!

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will probably be downloading and watching this tomorrow on my day off. Anyone know if there's a popcorn aromatic?

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The trailer is up on iTunes. Don't know for sure if Pre-order means that it will be up to buy and watch tomorrow.

From the iTunes blurb:

Father the Flame
    UHD
    HDR
    CC
    Documentary
    1 Hour 19 Minutes
    Pre-Order: Expected Jun 4, 2019
    5.0, 2 Ratings
    In a small basement workshop in far Northern Michigan, master pipe maker Lee Erck loses himself in the dense grain of each pipe he creates, all the while counting on his work to last for generations. Brought to life in a stunning cinematic experience, this story speaks to a slower pace of life that weaves together a charming cast of characters. From the royal family of Danish pipe makers, to the Italian briar cutter known as the world’s greatest, to a fourth-generation Native American “peace pipe” maker, Father the Flame looks through the lens of the pipe to explore the the timeless values it seems to evoke. At once light hearted and deeply philosophical, the film immerses the viewer in a meditation on inheritance, family and the things we leave behind.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't know for sure if Pre-order means that it will be up to buy and watch tomorrow.
    You can purchase it today, and be able to download it tomorrow.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old School types needn't worry, btw...

Amazon will be carrying it as a DVD:

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Anthony. Apple will get my money when the goods are available.

I am delighted to see it's in UHD and HDR. My birthday TV will arrive on Wednesday, and that video will inaugurate it.

For those watching tomorrow, does a particular tobacco suggest itself for viewing?

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. the85boro

the85boro

Login to Send PM

Yes, Father the Flame by C&D would be the perfect smoke for the occasion!

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Super stoked to watch this!

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  12. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Excellent, just pre-ordered the DVD.

Non Serviam
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can I buy from the iTunes store and play on my android? Sorry for a most likely ignorantly stupid question. Apple products and I do not abide.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 months ago #
  14. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BTW, great interview and article.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I'll definitely be getting the DVD.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 2 months ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amazon will be carrying it as a DVD:
    Even better! But I'll probably go ahead and buy the download so I don't have to wait. The DVD will come later.

Can I buy from the iTunes store and play on my android? Sorry for a most likely ignorantly stupid question.
    It's only stupid if you don't ask. No, Itunes won't work on an Android. There's an App that's supposed to make that possible but I heard it was crap. Regardless, Itunes WILL work on a PC if you're able to go that route. If not, you can purchase the DVD.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll definitely be getting the DVD.

+1 … I'm very glad to hear it will be on DVD.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 months ago #
  18. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A very nice editorial review for it on Amazon:

For centuries, the tobacco pipe has been a symbol of contentment and contemplation. Through the window of this transcendental artifact and its sacred origins, Father the Flame is a cinematic exploration of legacy, family and love. The film follows Lee Erck, a world-renowned pipe maker from far Northern Michigan, as he travels the globe to explore the nearly forgotten art of tobacco pipe making. Featuring a charming cast of characters-from the royal family of Danish pipe makers, to the Italian briar cutter known as the worlds greatest, to a fourth-generation Native American peace pipe maker- this story speaks to a slower pace of life, a luxury in our sped-up world. Beautiful and hypnotic, Father the Flame immerses the viewer in the cultural and spiritual significance of the tobacco pipe and what it can teach a modern generation about legacy and the things we leave behind.

https://www.amazon.com/Father-Flame-Lee-Erck/dp/B07QN8P3CL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2PP3ZVTRYBE1G&keywords=father+the+flame&qid=1559627749&s=movies-tv&sprefix=father+%2Caps%2C205&sr=1-1

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. writingraav

writingraav

Login to Send PM

OK. I watched it twice today. Certainly enjoyed it very much and I'm sure everyone else will too. Two small, niggling criticisms: not a word bout tobacco and its complexities and more importantly, no mention of even one or two young American carvers.

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. lincolnsbark

lincolnsbark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished watching. Well worth the money and time. I very much enjoyed the cinematography but was even more impressed with the story they were able to put together. Found myself getting emotional a number of times by how similar the story of pipe smokers seems to be; I feel more connected to my grandfather who passed a few years ago when I smoke the pipes of his I was fortunate enough to find and clean back up to ship shape.

Well done and thank you.

Posted 2 months ago #
  21. the85boro

the85boro

Login to Send PM

I watched it twice yesterday. Very well made doc and I think it would stand up against any other doc made. I enjoyed how it focused more on the historical asspects of pipe making through the generations and less on the smoking of the pipe. We all know there are plenty of docs on that. All in all an enjoyable film and extra good with a bowl or two of C&D Father the Flame to pair with the film.

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

from the iTunes store and play on my android

Doc, it *is* available on google play, if you want to check it out there.

https://play.google.com/store?hl=en_US

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  23. railman

railman

Login to Send PM

After a long day of work I got to come home, load up a Bjarne Nielsen with some Arcadia, and sit back and enjoy this wonderful film. I didn’t know what to expect but I really enjoyed it. They did a great job of describing the history of pipes without actually giving a history lesson, but obviously the main focus was family and friendships bonded with pipe making. Stunning cinematography and an absolutely amazing soundtrack. This documentary was done far better than some of the “critically acclaimed” docs I’ve watched. I look forward to watching it many more times.

I wish there was a little more information given about the Native American pipes and makers as the pipe in their culture is quite different from ours, but what was included was quite good.

On a side note the pipestone quarries at Pipestone, MN, are well worth a visit. It’s now a national monument however Native tribes are still allowed to quarry the stone. The visitor center usually has pipemakers there carving and answering questions and great information about how vast the trade network went from this one spot in western Minnesota.

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

To be honest, I wasn't really expecting much (not sure why), but this film was a really pleasant surprise. It was both visually compelling and moving. In my favorite moment of the film, Lee Von Erck is (visibly) grappling with some existential angst, and when asked what keeps him going in absence of a family and so on, he replies that it's "the fun" and all the aged tobacco he has squirreled away - he says something to the effect of, "Well, I've got to smoke some of it." The true motivation of tobacco hoarders is revealed! In all, a really nice meditation on legacy, family, mortality, interconnectedness, and other themes that's carried by a remarkably sympathetic cast of characters.

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. laniromee

laniromee

Login to Send PM

I really wanted to support the filmmakers and buy this movie but it's not available in my country. I'm unconsolable... Any solutions?

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

How can I buy it from Iceland?

Posted 2 months ago #
  27. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I helped back this film, well I'm not sure how long ago, and I purchased it off Amazon Prime this morning. MONEY WELL SPENT. I'm glad I contributed $$ in such a minuscule way and really enjoyed the film.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  28. the85boro

the85boro

Login to Send PM

I saw some copies on eBay for sale that are on DVD/ You can buy them that way

Posted 2 months ago #
  29. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

To those not in the parts of the world where this can be streamed on Amazon or itunes:

1. This may change in the next few months. International permissions are tricky business. You may be able to get specific country/zone release dates from the filmaker via their website.

2. If you are absolutely stuck for other options, I will purchase and ship internationally the DVD for any interested parties. Just reimburse me those costs. PM me.

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Not a bad flick. Wish I could afford any one single pipe in the movie outside of those Chacoms.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 2 months ago #
  31. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I will keep my eyes opened! Maybe Netflix in the future?

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could non-US based folks use a VPN and set up an iTunes account?

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. crazyhog

crazyhog

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to watching this!!

"I yam what I yam."
    Posted 2 months ago #
  34. laniromee

laniromee

Login to Send PM

@chilllucky

Thank you so much for the offer, that's very kind. For the time being I guess I'll wait a bit to see if the movie becomes available around these parts because, and I can't really blame anyone else for this - I also don't own a DVD player. But thank you again!

Posted 2 months ago #
  35. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed with this film. Quite short given the amount of time it took to make it. I will say it had an awesome score and some beautiful visuals but as a tobacco man myself I was hoping they’d get into the tobacco side of things. I think tobacco blending is just as much of an art form as pipe making, it would have been awesome if they interviewed some master blenders and visted some factories like the Gawith’s, Mac Baren, STG or even C&D. Anyway, I was happy to buy and support the film just wish they went a bit more in depth with it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  36. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

It just came up on google play in the US, for those who do not care for or have access to itunes.

Posted 2 months ago #
  37. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I downloaded it from there around noon yesterday.

Bill

Posted 2 months ago #
  38. ebnash

ebnash

Login to Send PM

Just discovered this post two nights ago. I was able to purchase through amazon prime on Comcast and watch on my tv. It was $10 to purchase or $4 to rent. I’ve watched twice now and really enjoyed it.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  39. ricebiscuit

ricebiscuit

Login to Send PM

I pre-ordered from Amazon a while back. Anyone have any information on when the DVD will ship?

Posted 2 months ago #
  40. ebnash

ebnash

Login to Send PM

I pre-ordered from Amazon a while back. Anyone have any information on when the DVD will ship?

I just logged on to Amazon and searched the DVD. It claims delivery July 22 - Aug. 16

I would imagine they waited to get enough sales to warrant running a production of DVD's and keep the cost in control.

If you want to watch it right now, you can rent it on you tube for $4.

Posted 2 months ago #
  41. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

I watched it last night with a friend. It is a beautiful movie... great cinematography, beautiful score, compelling reflections, lots of historical footage. I really enjoyed it. Like others, I would like to have seen something about the tobacco aspect of pipe smoking, but the focus of the film is really pipes and pipe makers. Easily an "A" in my grade book!

Posted 2 months ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawdogspipes

Login to Send PM

Yep, pre-ordered on either 1 or 2nd day for pre-order sales. Supposed to ship June 18th. Nope.

Posted 2 months ago #
  43. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, pre-ordered on either 1 or 2nd day for pre-order sales. Supposed to ship June 18th. Nope.

You have to wonder whether it's a legit production delay, or the Amazon Marketing Psychology types knew exactly what they were doing from the start:

Posted 2 months ago #
  44. jcdarin

jcdarin

Login to Send PM

I recommend listening to the Pipe and Tamper podcast, they have a very interesting interview with Chad Terpstra about the film, and how it was to make and the kind of decisions they had to make in order to be faithful to the documentary and at the same time, have a logical commercial product. I guess some of the questions before will be answered.

I watched the film twice already, and I loved it. I also made a minimum contribution to the film a couple of years ago, and I got to have a download before launch, so it was a really nice surprise.

I hope they make a sequel to this with the other 4+ hours they shot during production!

Claudio Darin-
    Posted 2 months ago #
  45. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I just finished it today, after three attempts.

And

My word. What a beautiful documentary.

I want more.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  46. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found myself wondering if the sudden DVD delivery date delay was just a listing error. Something someone fat-fingered and quickly corrected after realizing it.

Nope.

In fact, it got pushed out even farther.

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah. I was just checking that out too and saw the disappointing delivery date. Amazon.ca lists it as unavailable. Guess all of you guys rushed to place orders, eh?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  48. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know contractural distribution rights & etc. can be legally complicated.

But with this? A specialist, limited-market "fan film"?

Burning DVD's is NOT rocket science. Nor is distributing them. And the makers of the film had seven years (or was it only six?) to think about what they were going to DO with their final product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YUE7LAFrOM

Posted 1 month ago #
  49. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

In fact, it got pushed out even farther.

Not surprised at all.

Guess all of you guys rushed to place orders, eh?

Nope, saw this coming.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 month ago #
  50. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't spend time on a DVD, a dying format. Why not just buy it on iTunes, and enjoy the quite good quality HD video? Then you'd have it forever and can play it on today's equipment (OK, so many folks still have and use DVD players, but won't in several years, though it could be played on a Blu-ray player till those end up in the recycle bin.)

Posted 1 month ago #
  51. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is very disappointing that after all this time it's finally completed and the DVD's are essentially unobtainable. I'm just not into the streaming or digital thing and don't plan to get into it...for movies, music, books or anything else. If I'm going to purchase something I want a hard copy of it, not a computer file.

Posted 1 month ago #
  52. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is very disappointing that after all this time it's finally completed and the DVD's are essentially unobtainable. I'm just not into the streaming or digital thing and don't plan to get into it...for movies, music, books or anything else. If I'm going to purchase something I want a hard copy of it, not a computer file.

A view that I'm sure is NOT uncommon in the PipeWorld, given the average age of its citizens.

"Hey... I know! Let's market this doc that features a septuagenarian who hand makes something few people under 30 have ever seen in their life except in an old Hollywood movie... to Millennials to watch on their TV telephones!"

"Great Idea, Bob! Maybe burn a few DVDs so the guy in the film---and his friends---can watch it, though?"

"Nah... That would make sense. And these days anything that makes sense isn't, you know... edgy."

Posted 1 month ago #
  53. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why not just buy it on iTunes, and enjoy the quite good quality HD video? Then you'd have it forever and can play it on today's equipment

Well, no, not really.

I stopped buying movies on iTunesux because I don't want to be locked out of content I PAID FOR all of a sudden because I am running an old version and refuse to update, or because they changed their silly Terms of Use. Then I wouldn't have it forever.

I'd rather pop a disc into a drive and enjoy it even if it's 'low' quality video.

Posted 1 month ago #
  54. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I'm just not into the streaming or digital thing and don't plan to get into it...for movies, music, books or anything else.

That's me too.

Posted 1 month ago #
  55. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yeah mine was the digital copy.

And sittingbear i agree with you. Wish there were more about the tobacco aspect.

Posted 1 month ago #
  56. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Hey... I know! Let's market this doc that features a septuagenarian who hand makes something few people under 30 have ever seen in their life except in an old Hollywood movie... to Millennials to watch on their TV telephones!"

LOL ... Exactly.

I stopped buying movies on iTunesux because I don't want to be locked out of content I PAID FOR all of a sudden because I am running an old version and refuse to update, or because they changed their silly Terms of Use. Then I wouldn't have it forever.

Exactly again. I don't want to play their game.

The digitization of everything is all about control. It doesn't require much imagination to see where that all eventually ends up.

Posted 1 month ago #
  57. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is very disappointing that after all this time it's finally completed and the DVD's are essentially unobtainable.

FYI, the disks are being produced by Esoterica...

I wouldn't spend time on a DVD, a dying format....

I'll catch it on Netflix in 18 months. Best $12 a month I spend.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  58. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

something few people under 30 have ever seen in their life except in an old Hollywood movie

I wonder how many people under 30 have even seen an old Hollywood movie?

LOL

Posted 1 month ago #
  59. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, man, that means we'll be seeing them shortly on ewwBay at $100 apiece.

Posted 1 month ago #
  60. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I watched it the week it came out. I thought the guys did a great job on it. From what was said about it I thought it'd be more wide ranged, by that I mean covering more people in the industry and different aspects of it. Instead it really focused on Lee and the briar with a bit of a nod to Lars and Mimmo. It was nice to get a bit more of insight to Lee's work and Mimmo and Lars' worlds.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 month ago #
  61. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished watching Father The Flame. Definitely worth the $4.99 rental.

Posted 1 month ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawdogspipes

Login to Send PM

Waiting to get the pre-ordered DVD. I hope it will be here before the end of the year.

Posted 1 month ago #
  63. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawdogspipes

Login to Send PM

For all of the old codgers that are waiting on the DVD...Just checked Amazon and the "NEW" in stock date is July 7th. We shall see. I hope this turns out to be true. Look forward to watching the DVD.

Posted 1 month ago #
  64. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd be excited if the film's production, distribution, and delivery so far hadn't been arranged by someone using a Magic Eight Ball.

At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  65. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawdogspipes

Login to Send PM

I'd be excited if the film's production, distribution, and delivery so far hadn't been arranged by someone using a Magic Eight Ball.

At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

I know...never had much luck using the Magic Eight Ball. I think I still have one in the shop...I will check it tomorrow and see what it advises. I will let you know tomorrow.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   gatorlope, jpmcwjr, newportpipe, litup, k9shag, ravkesef, mikestanley, lawdawg, laniromee, nunnster, ben88, pianopuffer