PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsullivan

Lurker
Sep 24, 2014
I recently lost my entire pipe and tobacco collection (not much, just a few tobaccos, an estate pipe, and two basket pipes) in a move. I'm looking to start rebuilding my collection and am looking for suggestions. I'd like to start with something a little better than my baskets were, but sub-$100. So, if you've got any suggestions, please let me know!
Thanks,
JMSullivan

jmsullivan

Lurker
Sep 24, 2014
I'm also planning on adding a missouri meerschaum to my collection. Anyone have a preference for a specific model?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the forum jmsullivan.
For MM Cobs I'd recommend a couple of Washington's and Country Gentleman's to get you going.
P&C has a promotion for 3 cobs, 3 tobaccos and a pipe tool right now that's a pretty good deal.
What do you smoke?

jmsullivan

Lurker
Sep 24, 2014
Thanks, cobguy!

I'll definite take a look at that. What does p&c stand for?

So far, I've just been trying house blends from my local shop.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome aboard.
Sorry to hear about your loss but at least it wasn't 50 pipes and 200 pounds of tobacco.
+1 to what Cobguy said. It is a great way to get kick started with a new rotation of pipes and tobacco.
I took advantage of this sale and love this pipe for the price:
Stanwell Brushed Black
I got model 63 and have enjoyed the 3-4 bowls I have put through it. Had this pipe been around when I started I probably would have bought 5 in my favorite shapes along with the cobs.
Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Dan

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
What size pipes do you like? What kind of shapes?
The Stanwells linked above should be great smokers, probably the functional equal of most high-grades 5 to 10 times their cost. My only reservation with Stanwells is that they almost always have relatively narrow chambers (0.75 inches or less). Personally I prefer chambers in the 0.8" to 0.9" range, but that depends a lot on your tobacco preference and style.
My standard sub-$100 recommendation had always been Peterson. Provided you don't mind their traditional shapes, they're great smokes, and most standard Pete shapes are around a 0.8" chamber. But Petersons seem to have become more expensive in the last few years. I used to be able to find plenty of good ones for $65 to $80, but now the floor seems to be just shy of $100. That might be too much if you're looking to buy several. Still, might buy one and supplement it with some cheaper makes.
I'm a traditional guy, so I can't speak to the Danish and Italian styles so well. I'm sure some other folks will have recommendations there beyond the Nordings already noted above.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
$7/cob $40/Dr Grabow. Most likely will smoke just as well as a $500 pipe, but sometimes, the fancy stamp on the shank makes the tobacco taste better.

jmsullivan

Lurker
Sep 24, 2014
Yazamitz,

Yeah, I'm really glad I hadn't built up my collection yet.

I'll definitely look into the Stanwells. I've seen a few people comment on their quality.
Tppytel

So far I've liked the look of Bulldogs the most, probably. I haven't really had enough experience to say whether I prefer a wide or narrow bowl; what are the benefits and downsides of Each?
What are the differences between a Peterson, Stanwells, Savinelli, and Nording? Is it mostly just styling preferences, or will there be a difference in the smoke?
Danielplainview, I'm definitely considering going with a Grabow for now; definitely affordable.
Natibo

Why do you prefer large bowls? Longer time between refills?

jmsullivan

Lurker
Sep 24, 2014
Cobguy,

Is this the set you mentioned?

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/40102/corn-cob-pipe-starter-kit/

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Like most everything else in pipe smoking, there aren't any simple answers as to what size bowl is best. It depends on your packing and puffing style, where and how long you like to smoke, and the tobaccos you favor. I mostly smoke Virginias or Virginia/Periques, indoors, and I rub out my flakes. I find mid-sized bowls (0.8" to 0.85") work best for that. But that's just me. Try to get a few different sizes as you're building up your collection and see what works for you.
As for differences between brands, all the ones you mentioned are first-rate, well-known brands. Many smokers develop a preference for a given brand's construction or briar (as well as style) over time, but if you're just starting out they're all equally fine. I'd just consider them for stylistic differences at the moment. As my first and wisest tobacconist told me long ago, "First, pick a pipe that looks good to you, because otherwise you won't smoke it." So like bowl sizes, pick a few brands that look good to you and see how they work out.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey JM ... I was thinking more like one of these:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/77048/corn-in-the-usa-ii-gift-set/#p-140355
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/82544/made-in-the-usa-sampler/#p-153821
BTW ... where are you located?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Some good bang for the buck.

http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/l/Johs

http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/l/Big-Ben1

http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/l/Al-Pascia

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
You can't really go wrong with any of the 4 "big" brands' lower end pipes. Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson and Nordings should all provide a decent smoke. I definitely think you're better off if you can buy one in person though so you can check it out and look for QC issues like draft hole drilling. That said, I've bought several sight unseen and it worked out OK for me. Stanwell and Savinelli would probably be the two I'd suggest from personal experience. I have a couple of estate Petersons but they are older ones so I can't comment on their current offerings. Personally I have 2 new Stanwells and a Savinelli and all 3 are good pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jmsullivan, sorry to hear about your loss. Luckily, you didn't have so many pipes. I second all of the good advice so

far. I also bought a Brushed Black Liverpool and a Brushed Brown pot Stanwells from P&C at the $49.95 price, and

they are first rate smokers. Another great pipe, somewhat unnoticed, is the Chapuis-Comoy at tobaccopipes.com;

these go for thirty or forty bucks and are good, sturdy attractive French pipes and worthy smokers. With MM or

Old Dominion cobs as a quick re-supply on pipes, these should get you back in business. A couple blends of bulk

tobacco should fill that gap. Now you have the supreme luxury of deciding how to rebuild your stable. Once you have

six or seven pipes for a rotation, you may want to save up between pipes and get higher grade briars, either new or

estate pipes. Pipes tend to last a long, long time, so this is one option.

Status
Not open for further replies.