PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

faziduke

Lurker
Sep 25, 2017
So as a new pipe smoker I want to know IF, When, or How often I should use pipe cleaning-fluid or spirits to keep the pipe clean of tobacco juices and what liquids I should use? Thank you for the help.

I only use water, since we had a member here mention cleaning his pipe with water after every smoke. It seems to work great for me. Some guys will use spirits (alcohol), some will use that blue/green liquid sold at pipeshops as a sweetener. Some guys will use a Murphees Soap on the exterior, and some of us think the smells added to the smoke would be terrible. Some recommend using only stuff that you would drink in your pipe, and to some it doesn't really matter. Sometimes the same poster will recommend all of these at various times and places, and some will completely avoid answering the question.

Good luck with your findings. Sometimes it's just fun to throw the chicken bones of forum possibilities out there and see what happens.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
IF- you should from time to time do a deeper clean when the pipe smokes sour or not as well as it has been.

WHEN- see above. This will depend on you and your smoking habits.

HOW-I would use Everclear or some high proof alcohol for the draft hole and stem. You could even cut it with something sweeter like whiskey or rum if you want a little sweetness when you smoke it. Not for use anywhere else on the pipe, IMO. Use in conjunction with bristle and fluffy cleaners.
Haven’t tried pipe cleaner solution myself as the alcohol is cheap and readily avail.

Be sure to give the pipe plenty of time to dry after you clean it thoroughly. Good luck.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
When, or How often
I won't offer an opinion as I'm not sure I've figured it out, but I think as an observation of fact that there are relatively few people who recommend using liquid frequently; I see it mentioned more as an "as needed" or periodic but rare measure.
Personally, I always tend to use heat to clean the bowl if I notice it is getting dirty, (first, I make a point to smoke the bowl to the bitter end, using a half-bowl if needed, preferably with some moderately hard puffing to cook and dry out any nastiness that has built up,then if necessary, taking a few puffs while holding a burning match in the bowl). I also run pipe cleaners through the stem obsessively. But I don't hold myself up as one to emulate.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We still have a member here who recommends hot water for everyday cleaning. Run it into the bowl and out the stem. If water is hot to begin with, you can do so with the bowl still hot from a smoke. Dry with paper towel in chamber, Q-tip for mortise, and pipe cleaner for airway. If, as per ryeguy, you've smoked to the bottom and then use water briefly, the pipe is ready to smoke. Seems counter intuitive but try it. (but pipe must be dry before the water purge)
Oddly enough, I just got an e-mail from a retailer, urging use of pipe cleaning liquid- which they'll be happy to sell you. If pipe is ghosted or really funky, stronger measures are required, such as alcohol-salt treatment.
If your smoking a bowl is pleasant, you can skip a cleaning or two. Your taste buds and nose will tell you when it really is necessary.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I use something in the Everclear/Graves persuasion, always food grade as some isopropyl has a bitter smell which I have noticed in the pipe after cleaning. If I buy an Estate, the first cleaning is always a with Everclear, just QTips and cleaners if it's pretty clean, a retort if it is funky. After that, I don't use alcohol until the pipe gets gunky or soured. As far as how many bowls between cleanings, that depends on tobacco type and time between smokes.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
I got a big bottle of "pipe cleaner" solution a few years ago from ea carey. It came free with a purchase. I don't know what's in it, but, it has worked well. Based on the smell, I think it is listerene or something like that. I'm still wondering why it's such a big bottle (9oz), I use a hard bristle dip and then a soft to absorb. Maybe I don't use enough? Don't know...

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I use tasteless rubbing alcohol whenever I feel the pipe tastes odd. Frankly it's a matter of personal choice, combined with whatever is available. I have learned this method from a forum member, using the conic cleaners and the fluffy ones, soaked in alcohol and running them through until clean. Mind the mortise, that's where most of the goo builds up. It takes up quite a few cleaners, but then again you don't have to do it that often and having a clean pipe is sure worth the expense. If the pipe is in very bad shape, salt treatment is the way to go. I have brought a 60 year old pipe back to life using that, so caked up you could barely fit your pinkie finger in the bowl.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Whiskey as needed. Gives the pipe a nice seasoning.
Good idea Dave. Then the flavor of the pipe doesn't matter... if you use enough Whiskey first. :wink:
Seriously, I haven't been able to detect any problems with using hot water, cold water, alcohol or other liquids when cleaning any of my pipes. They seem to be pretty tough overall.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
After six months of normal rotation and regular cleaning with pipe cleaner after smoke I use the retort method with Graves grain alcohol. Really refreshes the pipe and cleans out all the gunk. Best keep them clean after a smoke.

Jan 1, 2018
I recently had to clean 4 of my PIPES because I screwed up mixing some tobacco. I used a jar that had old filings in it and didn't think anything of it. I paid the price for that one. The old left over tobacco must have gone stale because the next morning when I lit up my first pipe I noticed an unbearable taste of vinegar and piss. I knocked out my pipe and asked a friend for a Newport it was so bad. I had to toss about 4oz of tobacco I had bought just a few days prior. Hopefully I can prevent this from happening to another fellow pipeman. I highly recommend keeping your tobacco storage containers clean. It is so disheartening to have to throw away vitamin N.

Jan 1, 2018
I use Macallan scotch to deep clean my PIPES. If you like scotch you can't go wrong. Very yummy after taste left behind in the briar.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm a hot water convert. On stinky estates, I'll add some scent-free detergent like Synthrapol. I still use high proof rum for a quick stem cleaning, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.