PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
When a pipe needs a good swabbing out to reduce gurgles, or to be cleaned, I reach for the packet of pipe-cleaners. Never ever gave a thought about brands, quality, etc. In fact I go to the crafts stores, like Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and buy my pipe cleaners there....the extra long, church-warden kind, and snip them to the correct lengths for my various pipes, both long and short stemmed. I just cut the foot-longs down to size, and get more bang for the buck by doing it, making two pipe cleaners out of one.
So....are there "premium" quality pipe cleaners, or, will all the various brands do the same thing?
Just asking....
Frank

NYC

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
After a good hot water rinse, I use the largest pipe cleaner that will fit in the airway of any particular pipe. And, yes, there are quality differences, but they don't amount to much when your airway has been mostly purged by the water.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Vauen are not cheap, but they do a great job...personal preference...they're a hassle to find and though not cheap, I'll try to stock up on them when ordering.
I usually use the thickest or fluffiest cleaner I can get down the pipe to start (after smoking) because it feels like it scrubs the innards better. After that, with less moisture in there, I'll have to switch to regular width pipe cleaners and finish cleaning with 1 or 2 of them.
As far as quality in pipe cleaners go, some seem to come apart and leave little fuzzies more than others. In that regard, less fuzzies usually = better ;-). I keep some bristle cleaners on hand too...use them to start with on dirtier pipes, or any estates...typically wet them with alcohol or a pipe sweetener...or I guess water too, now...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ron- You don't wet the pipe cleaner at all. After flushing the airway with hot water, the pipe cleaner dries and removes crud.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cheapies shed more and clog your airway. The standard brands are well made, and though they can lose fluff, they don't lose a lot. It's really annoying to have your pipe cleaner essentially clogging your pipe. I go with the standard brands, not cheapies and not those made for crafts. Buy from pipe retailers for quality and to support the trade.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Brigham pipe cleaners, the only pipe cleaners any serious pipe smoker should use.
lol Kinda an advert there, but I've strictly been using them for about five years and they're amazing.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Yeah Ron, the blue Vauen pipe cleaners are the best I've ever encountered. They are "expensive" for pipe cleaners and hard to find but I also stock up when I do come across them.

I read somewhere they use titanium in the wire...which makes sense considering their rigidity.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like BJ Long, tapered, with and without bristles. They clean-up residue that Decatur leaves behind -- altho Decatur is more stiff, which I like a lot.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1 for Brigham. I like both their regular and bristle cleaners.

I also would like to plug Blitz. They are a cross between a bristle and a regular cleaner but tapered so I find they work for many different pipes.
They’re also stuff which makes them useful for stubborn stems.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a BJ Long guy, both their fluffy tapered and their tapered bristle. I have not found a pipe cleaner that works better than BJ Long. I use the Dill's in that 32 count package for my car and when I am out. The Dill's is not that absorbent but I like the package it comes in for travel.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I use Brigham cleaners, since there aren't any Vauen to be found at my B&M. They only leave fuzzies in my cobs. Not to knock down MM, but their wood stems are kinda rough inside.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I care. Craft store pipe cleaners are, ironically, not intended for cleaning pipes. They are intended for craft projects. They are next to useless for cleaning; as has been mentioned, they are made of non-absorbent plastic fiber. In addition, they will not perform the second most important pipe-cleaner function, drying up a gurgle mid-smoke. Not that most of the members here would admit to having a gurgle, but you get the idea.
In the realm of actual pipe cleaning pipe cleaners, low quality is indicated by sucking a dust bunny into the back of your throat when doing a test draw before lighting. It's great good fun.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are differences. For the most part I use BJ Long. They get the job done for almost all of my work. I occasionally use Dill because they're easier to work through the stinger slot in a Kaywoodie. And I also have some German made cleaners that have a stronger steel spine, which I occasionally find useful with certain pipes as they're much more resistant to bending.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Well.....I glad that I asked. You guys took me to school. Thanks for getting my head straight when it comes to pipe cleaners. Much obliged.
Frank

NYC

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I prefer just using the tail feathers I pluck from my chickens. They work just fine and don't cost me a cent. The hard part is catching the dadgum chickens who, for some reason, run like the dickens when they see me coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.