Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
What's your preferred type of pipe cleaner? So far, I've only used the cheap 100-packs from walmart, but they seem brutally inefficient for cleaning.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've tried several different brands and like Dill's the best.
BJ Longs and others I've tried leave a lot more fuzz behind.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I buy the ubiquitous Long's. You might want to try some of their bristle style cleaners. Much better for scrubbing out gunk. All the online pipe stores have them.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Cobguy is right about the fuzz/lint left in stems and shanks by the BJ Longs. I have gotten used to blowing thru anything I use them on. Not a bad idea to do that anyway though. 8)

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I dont mind the bj longs, I simply run a pinched two fingers down the cleaner to wipe off any fuzz before use.

All I can find in the ottawa stores are bristled or super puffy multicolored ones.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I use:

1. Reusable Shank brush - because they are economical, reusable, and great for scrubbing. I scratched up a stem with the wire part once when I wasn't paying attention so be aware of that.

2. B.J. Long Tapered Cleaners - They work great, definitely more for everyday use and I find them easier to get through my bent stem than regular pipe cleaners. As the guys have mentioned, there is some extra fuzz...

3. Brigham Bristled Cleaners - These work great as well, but I tend to think of them as more situational than for daily use. I've never had a lot of gunk in my pipe so I use them sparingly. Also, I feel like you have to be careful not to use them too roughly as they are pretty scratchy.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Longs have more loose fuzz than Dills, but they're about 3x cheaper. I just run a Long between my fingers before I use it to get the fuzz off and that's worked fine for me. It only takes a moment. Bristle cleaners would probably work fine for regular use, but I find them unpleasantly scratchy to handle. So I only use them for monthly cleanings with alcohol or if a pipe has a stubborn bit of tobacco lodged in the airway. For everyday use, it's just plain Longs for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.