PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Recently, I started using a pipe cleaner when loading my pipes. I start by inserting the pipe cleaner into the mouthpiece and all the way into the bowl. Then I load my pipe in a typical fashion. Once I've stuffed all the tobacco into the pipe, I pull out the cleaner. This guarantees me the smallest portion of empty space right down at the draw hole, and I never inadvertently pack the draw hole closed.
Does anyone else do this? Any reason not to?

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
I do this so I do not get that little dottle in the first draw test.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not sure why one would want a cleaner sized draw hole. Depending on the cut style I tamp with my finger and a wee twist to nest the tobacco. I do this scooping in the pouch or stuffing from the tin/jar. So, a nice load, no big draw hole in the bottom leads to a gently draw and a good smoke. That said, I see no reason to not do as you are. If it works, it's good.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting. On a few occasions, I've run a cleaner into an unlit packed bowl as a small piece or two of fresh tobacco is partially drawing the air hole.But it happens so seldom that I see no need to take the prophylactic approach. Plus I am lazy—or economic in movements, take your pick!

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I know a few who do. It helps with draw for them. I do the same thing but in reverse after the bowl is lit to free the draw up or get rid of girgle.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I know a few who do. It helps with draw for them. I do the same thing but in reverse after the bowl is lit to free the draw up or get rid of girgle.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I do it slightly differently. If a small amount of tobacco got in the draught hole when packing, I will insert one afterwards to push it back into the chamber, and then light.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Yep, I read about this trick on here from samcoffeeman and I've used it ever since. It's just habit now, my packing is probably fine without out but it guarantees a perfect draw every time, so why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.