PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

egyptian

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
Hi Pipesmagazine
i used to smoke unfiltered pipes, 6mm filtered pipes, 9mm filtered pipes

i was messing around and found this great filtering method..
i always preferred 9mm filter pipes because they offered the least moisture and tongue bite/burn, but the downside was that 9mm activated charcoal filters always restricted the draw ,decrease the flavor and make the pipe go out a lot during the smoke

.. i know that some of you may rush and say "it's your wrong technique that gives you bite" and "what the hell is a filter"
but try this one and you won't regret it
i fold astandard cotton pipe cleaner twice and put it in the tennon like so but not all the way in.. hust leave a 1 mm distance between the folded pipe cleaner and the draught hole..
lyo14sl4j

j4ph538bj

tljfi2it5

ws4q4sh5r

it does a hell of a difference:

-no restriction of the draw

-no gurgle whatsoever

-no bits of tobacco/ash in your mouth

-no or 90% less tongue bite
let me know what you think
best regards

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Thats a curious idea. I just received a Stanwell with 9mm filter, and tossed it aside. Maybe Ill give it a try. seems like it may be effective on certain blends i like to smoke less dry.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Smoke master pipes.....ive got a lunch sack full of them ready to be restored.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
This sounds like the best thing since sliced bread. Charcoal filters do have a wierd taste it ads. I'll give this a go with my Peterson.

egyptian

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
Yes it does affect things... It absorbs like 90 % of the moisture without restricting the draw or robbing the flavor like charcoal does... Also this is a bit different than smokemasters... Sorry about the 1st pictures :)

evo03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for posting. I normally use balsa filters in my 9mm pipes, but I'll give this a try.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't use filters, personally. But I can see how this would be good for a pipe that might have a gurgle issue. My issue is having to remove the stem after every smoke if you do this. You wouldn't just be able to run a pipe cleaner through after you smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like it might work as well as rolled paper, balsa wood, or charcoal particles. I don't see any

reason it wouldn't. Filtering is a somewhat inexact concept in terms of what's being filtered in or out.

I might give it a try, though I don't use filters much in any case. If I feel smoked-out, I go to a milder

tobacco, smoke fewer bowls a week, or give the pipes a rest.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
Smokemaster pipes used this system. Here is an ad for it on an old Dills Pipe Cleaner pack.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
You know, what is funny, despite most pipe smokers dismissing filters, the pipe industry since ages has put high amounts of money and energy in the development of filter systems, condensation systems, stingers,.. Some are quite successful, so there must be a market for this kind of things.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have found filters to be useful when smoking outside in cold weather. Just the heat from the burning tobacco mixed the the cold ambient temperature is a recipe for extra condensation. That being said, 95% of the time I will not use a filted pipe.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
the pipe industry since ages has put high amounts of money and energy in the development of filter systems, condensation systems, stingers

I'm thinking that they never spent much time or money on this, because they always seem more like a marketing gimmick than anything else. It doesn' take much R&D to make the tenon a little wider and have someone make some cheezy "filters" out of rolled up paper or charcoal. That seems to have been motivated more by the idea of being able to get pipe customers to buy more stuff.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Wow, I just tried it tonight on my 9mm peterson charcoal filter pipe, and had probably the best Va smoke of my life. I tried BBF by Gwaith Hoggart from a most generous sample from 4noggins.com, it was a nice dry smoke without sacrificing any of the flavor. You really have to bend the pipe cleaner as shown in the pics or the draw becomes too constricted. This is definitely an awesome old school trick.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I don't see how this would really filter the smoke but would be more of a sponge for juices. Falcon makes a ring that is basically made of a pipe cleaner that sits down in the well below the bowl for basically the same purpose, absorbing moisture. And the 9mm pipes have a very large space for the filter, so I don't see the pipe cleaner affecting the draw. Interesting idea thanks for sharing Egyptian.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
i like these new Chinese pipes I got that have a bizarre stinger in them. Work wonders! My first instinct was to get rid of them, but I'm glad I tried them. They are removable, easy to clean, are slotted so the flow isn't restricted, attract crap to them, and make a cool, dry smoke even out of moist aromatics.
When the OP mentioned using folded over pipe cleaners, I thought, PERFECT! Maybe I can get my other pipes with filter chambers to smoke as well as these others.
Side note of agreement: I don't believe, either, that the pipe companies put all that much money into filter design because it works, but because it's an escape route if they are held responsible for respiratory diseases or whatever.
Sort of like table saw guards. It's the first thing woodworkers toss, but if you get hurt after tossing it, you're on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.