PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
I thought it'd be fun to start a thread for movie reviews based solely on pipes content.
For example, last night I watched Sherlock Holmes from 2009 with Robert Downey Jr. in the title role. It deserves high praise for ample pipe content. Not only were there multiple pipes, they were generally correct to the period, and one pipe was even pivotal to the plot. I will take one pipe off because Sherlock refers to his pipe as a clay at one point, which is true to the books, but the pipe clearly looks to me to be a briar. Rating - Very Good: 4 out of 5 pipes. (I thought the movie itself was pretty crappy but that's not the point is it.)
Shawshank Redemption. Rating - Horrible: 0 out of 5 pipes! :lol:

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
We have had many references to mr branding builds his dream house Two pipe smoking actors much dunhill pipe and tobacco. 5 put of 5. Shel

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I watched the Original King Kong recently. The Producer Denham smokes a straight diamond shank Rhodesian. The ships Captain smokes what appears to be a Bulldog. Cigars and cigarettes make appearances too.

May 31, 2012
Robert Young in Crossfire (1947) gives one of the best clenching scenes ever,

so natural and at ease,

totally cool...
:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMf6tOPmqg
:
I'm a total geek about this, I constantly watch Brit flicks on TCM trying to spot pipes or advertising, like when I noticed there's a Digger Flake poster in the pub scene of The Remains of the Day, I got really excited LOL
Laughter in Paradise (1951) gets 5 full stars for one scene alone,

I duggit so much that I took pix and made a thread about it!

LOL

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/madman-shoplifts-a-dunhill
Leslie Howard in First of the Few (1942) is great for Dunhill spotting!
And of course, we gotta have an Edward G. Robinson movie here!
The Stranger (1946) features a pipe as more than just incidental, it being a sort of metaphor or motif or something, EGR breaks his pipe in the first scene, and is seen throughout the rest of the movie smoking the repaired pipe - like a symbol of perseverance through adversity or something, the keeping on of keeping on no matter what, it's actually a good flick.
:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zU7MoRuGDw
:
I love this pic...
The Undying Monster (1942)

UndyingMonster%2B%252892%2529.jpg

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'll have to look for Mr. Blandings.

IMDB link - http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0040613/

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
Brilliant! I gotta add some of these to my watch list. I knew you guys would rise to the occasion.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Legends of the Fall has some great pipe smoking content, including, if memory serves, a cob smoked by Anthony Hopkin's wealthy character and a WDC Wellington or Peterson smoked by a sharp-shooting ranch hand.

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
Inglourious Basterds (2009) I give it 3 out of 5 pipes just for the scene in the first 1/2 hour where pipes represent the character's personalities. I don't want to give it away, but I literally laughed out loud when the second pipe came out. It was worth watching just for that scene.
Also liked the movie in general. Full of over-the-top Tarantino blood splatters and twisted humor, if you're into that sort of thing. I should however warn you that if you happen to be a history buff you just might notice a slight historical inaccuracy or two. ;)

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Legends of the Fall." If I recall correctly that film was based upon a novella by author Jim Harrison. If you like Mr. Harrison's work, then allow me to recommend his book of collected non-fiction stories titled "Just Before Dark."

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Rick Newcombe has a presentation on "Pipes in the Movies" that is just fabulous. He did it at the 2014 Chicago Show and will do one last time at the 2015 Kansas City. If you are anywhere near KC you will not want to miss this.

Status
Not open for further replies.