PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
So I've been using my Tinsky pipe for a while now and had to ream my bowl 2-3 times already. What's concerning me is that since the beginning the cake always looked oily/wet and it seems really fragile. Some pieces of cake always break at some point. I smoke the pipe like once a week and only va blends and no aros. I smoked a lot of VaBur in it like ODF. I always dry my baccy too. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How often do you smoke this pipe, and what are your cleaning practices after you smoke?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
What is the humidity like where you live? How thick do you let the cake become? Do you wipe out the bowl after each smoke, or do you leave the ashy crud in?

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I see dry very hard cake only in the old pipes I work on. They have lain dormant for a loooong time.
The pipes I smoke regularly have that softer cake like yours. The cake always retains a little moisture because of that regular use. When reaming a pipe like this, it's normal to break off/out some softer pieces. You can either ream it back close to the chamber wall, or you can just smoke the pipe as it is. The gaps will cake over and fill in. You aren't hurting anything.
That's my opinion based on my experience.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
After each smoke I "ream" my pipe out by wadding up and twisting stiff paper towel into the bowl. This removes excess gunk and seems to allow the pipe bowl to dry better. :puffy:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
This oily cake may be due to the ODF itself. I have not dedicated a pipe to ODF but have had other oily strong tobaccos have the same effect. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't like too much cake buildup.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Am I doing something wrong?
Are you enjoying the smokes you get in this pipe? If so, then probably not! maybe just over thinking it a bit, you are cleaning and resting your pipe, that's generally enough.
Isaac

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I think some of the wetness you are seeing is not just H2o but also the oils from the tobacco; this is a natural occurrence. Seems to me you are going to be just fine! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.