PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
I'd like to publish a coffee-table book about pipes....a simple field guide, with a short introduction and LOTS of great photos. THOUSANDS of them. Over a period of roughly 10 years, I have photographed several thousand pipes in exactly the same format, including several views, dimensions and nomenclature. With all of the software available these days for independent publishing, it should be easy. What I need is a bit of encouragement to proceed, if there is a demand. Waste of time? Good Idea? Any co-authors with some free time? I'm thinking of a title like 'A Concise Field Guide to Estate Pipes'

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I tend to buy whatever books on pipes and pipe smoking that I come across, as far as I know there is only one book the is totally about Estate Pipes, this is an E book called Old Briar by Dave Whitney, it may pay you to have a look at this and see if it already covers what you intend to publish, it does no contain Coloured Photos and is not as yet available a hard copy (in paper form). I think most pipe smokers and collectors would be interested in it if it was informative an nicely presented.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Would be interesting to see a sample of the pictures of a pipe to see the angles and quality of them :)

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I'd support you for sure. I think we need more awareness to our hobby and a new book is a great start. Good luck to you!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
A field guide and a coffee table book are direct opposite. I have David Wright's small narrow field guide The Pipe Companion with some pretty good photo's, bio's and simple information. I have used it at shows for years as a pipe makers autograph book. I got Bo to sign his page the year he came to CPCC.

Every larger format book I've seen has retailed for more than the average pipe smoker will pay. That said I paid big bucks for the Dunhill and Castello coffee table size books.

If I were going to do a pipe book I would find a brand or segment and make the book the must have bible for that brand or segment. That might limit the appeal but a pretty pictures without some solid information would hold little interest for most collectors.

The guy to talk to is Ben Rappaort he has published many coffee table pipe books. 8O

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I agree that a coffe table book and a field guide are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I would like to see a couple of sample pics to get an idea of your vision on this. Sounds like there could be a market for this, just a question of it is big enough to make it a success. I, for one, would certainly be interested. :puffy:

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
here is a sample photo:
scandia725all.jpg

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
Coffee Table Field guide is a hilarious contradiction - I was tired. LOL.....I suppose these can be produced one at a time, per order through some of the great publishing software available these days, blurb, etc.

masked1

Might Stick Around
Jan 2, 2012
I personally think its a great idea. Despite the contradiction I'd would read it as u described it

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
That's all I needed to hear - Thanks. I am going to produce one sample hardcover and I will update.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Go for it but I would get the pipes restored before you photograph them. Tar/char, cake and oxidation won't cut it. 8O

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
If I knew a damn thing about pipes, I'd help you write it. I've got some spare time and I'd like to think I'm not a bad writer - but alas, I've only ever owned 9 or 10 pipes over my lifetime (and that's including those other kinds of pipes :oops: )

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
I think I will crop the bowl rim pictures from the overall presentation - those are for sales showing condition....

I think it will be a simple plate book, like the old nature painting books, etc. Just pics, with an introduction.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
Sounds like a good idea to me I might like to put a copy in my collection.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Just a thought, and I know it would not be as nice as a book, but why not an online resource? You could charge for downloading. I would love to have this type of manual available online while I browse EBAY, maybe with descriptions of certain traits that would help to tell a pre-transition Barling, or Comoy.Also could download onto tablet for browsing antique malls, and flea markets. I would download that sort of resource without a second thought.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The tough part is getting a ton of color photos published. It's expensive to do that with a hard-copy book. I originally wanted to include color photos with one of my books and it would have priced anyone out of buying it. It was only a soft-cover book. You'd have to find a publisher willing to take on the expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.