PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
The pipe: Bjarne Viking Houston

The tobacco: Brigadier Black Bull Run

The movie: Man Of Steel
While growing up, I always liked comic books. There was, and still is, something about opening up a comic book appreciating the artwork within and the story surrounding it, getting out of the real world for a bit and getting lost within the pages. Now as I'm pushing forty I still enjoy it when I get the chance, although I don't get the opportunity as much as I'd like. Of course, I've always liked a good movie as well. So when on the occasion the two worlds collide and a movie based on a comic book comes out, I'm usually wanting to see it. The movie today, I really wanted to see in the theater but never got the chance. So today, I rented it off of Itunes.
So while the movie was downloading, I picked a pipe... my Bjarne Viking Houston. This was one of my lower costing pipes. They retail for about $70.00 but I think I purchased mine on sale from Pipesandcigars.com for about $55.00 which is what they have them on sale for currently, I believe. Despite the low cost however, my Bjarne is a beautiful pipe and a pretty descent smoker. It's a pipe that feels good in the hand, and is quite light as well and bent, so it clenches easily enough on the few times I clench.
After choosing my pipe, I stared at my jars of tobacco for a few minutes, choosing one, then changing my mind to pick up another, and finally turned my latakia blends down for an aromatic. Brigadier Black's Bull Run. If you're an aromatic fan, I highly recommend this tobacco. It is moist, but not overly so, and after about 20 minutes or so of drying time, it's just about perfect for loading your bowl. It has a nice vanilla-ish, raisiny, chocolate smell I think, that is quite satisfying and the aroma comes out quite nicely. I used the swirl method, by the way, while loading my pipe. I think that method works very well with this ribbon cut tobacco.
And so, after loading my pipe, and striking a match for the char light, and then tamping and lighting again, I hit play and began watching Man Of Steel. I have to say, I was extremely pleased with this movie. I know there are a lot of die hard fans out there that still say only Christopher Reeve could play Superman. But believe me when I tell you, Henry Cavill looks the part. He's a big man, very fit, and has that chiseled jaw you would expect from Superman, and when he puts on the blue suit and the red cape, he IS Superman. There are of course some obvious differences in the story that I won't get into because it was still by all means a great movie. And as if I were a child all over again, I became engrossed in this movie, and just let my imagination get me out of the real world and into the pages of a cinematic comic book... all the while, the adult side of me happily puffed away on some Bull Run.
And might I add, this extremely affordable tobacco that must be priced way lower than it's quality, and my very affordable Bjarne Viking gave me a perfect smoke. After the true light I never once struck another match, and it burned nice and clean to the bottom of the bowl with nothing left but ash.
I recommend all three. The Bjarne Viking is a wonderful smoker, the Brigadier Black Bull Run is a great smelling satisfying tobacco with little or no bite and a mellow pleasant taste, and Man Of Steel is a movie that will let you relive those childhood memories of opening a crisp new comic book for the first time.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I heard it was actually a good Superman movie for a change. Haven't checked it out yet. I'll probably get around to it when it gets on Netflix instant watch.
I thought Henry Cavill did a good job in The Count of Monte Cristo. He played Albert Mondego, the son of the Count Mondego, but he was really Edmond Dantes aka Count of Monte Cristo's son. Weird plot twist I know. Even at 19yrs old he seemed to have the potential for a solid career.
I was definitely excited when I heard Christopher Nolan would be producing and Zack Snyder would be directing. Seemed like a good team. Nolan did a great job with the Batman series he just wrapped up and Snyder did a good job with 300 and the Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Anthony
I enjoyed this last superman and I particularly admired the father son talk as in the first superman movie with Reeve. Very touching, just like the first one with Glenn Ford
Thanks for the story

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
My wife and I watched the latest Superman vehicle on the weekend as well. I wish I had the opportunity to smoke a bowl of my favourite baccy while doing it, but that's not in the cards for me. I enjoyed the movie, and felt like I got my rental $$ back in entertainment value.
I do think that this version of the Superman story, and this Superman, is a little more dark, broody and introspective than I have in mind for the Man of Steel. From Action Comics through the "Death of Superman" and the introduction of Doomsday, we see a Superman that would make Captain America seem unpatriotic, and make Mary Poppins look uncouth. While that image might run against the grain of the current action-hero trope of misanthropic loner, it certainly did alright by the franchise for nearly 100 years.
Did I enjoy the movie? Yep. Would I recommend it? If you like action movies, read comics at all in the last 50 years, or just like a fast paced adventure? Sure... But if you were going to pick one movie based on a DC comic hero shot in the last ten years that nails the archetype I'd send you to watch Batman Begins.
-- Pat

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Haven't seen it yet. Missed it in theaters. Never was a big Superman fan, I'm a Batman guy. I'll get around to it around Christmas time when I'm off school for the semester and get burnt out on watching Charlie Brown/Grinch/Christmas Story for the zillionth time. Classics for sure, but after about 28 years of watching them ...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Never was a big Superman fan, I'm a Batman guy
If that's the case, then I predict you'll enjoy this movie.
@The Ole Cajun - Cheers, Bradley. I wish my pops had been down to watch it with us, I think we'll hold the second version of the Hobbit and go see it with my old man when he and Mom are here for Christmas.
-- Pat

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, I liked the way it looked and the word that it is "darker" piqued my interest. I was going to watch it anyways because I've seen all the Superman movies since Christopher Reeves. I watch all the superhero movies, except the Green Lantern.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Anthony,
Great write up on your pipe and a movie. I have been interested in trying some of the Brigadier Black's Bull Run. I am also a comic book fan and was very impressed with Man of Steel. I loved the way they told the story of his upbringing through small vignettes and flashed back and forth. I thought it was a beautiful way to retell a classic story, while keeping it fresh and engaging. I also agree that Henry Cavill looked the part of Superman. More importantly, I thought he fulfilled my vision of who Kal-El is as a person. I am extremely excited to see the sequel, which will have Batman and Superman going against each other!
Josh

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Haven't seen it yet because there have been so many Superman films made, but I'll make it a point to see this one. May I recommend "Pacific Rim"? Del Toro is a great director who's succeeded in making the best Japanese monster movie that isn't Japanese ever made. My problem in owning this video is that so far it's only available in a combo DVD/Blu Ray set, and I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy a Blu Ray player that also plays DVDs. But I love watching a good film while smoking my favorite pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
I intend to check out Pacific Rim at some point, Sparrow. And for the Batman fans who've commented, Batman is and always has been my all time favorite comic book hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.