PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I like IPA’s, botanical gin and Lakeland tobacco, but are there any blends you have tried that are piney or spruce like? I think that flavour would transfer over decently well to tobacco.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
To me, some Latakia blends have a piney sort of flavor. Some more than others. Beyond that, I can't think of anything.
I don't know if a piney flavor explains the name, or if the name suggested the flavor to people, but Boswell's Northwoods is supposed to have the flavors you're looking for. I've never had it, myself.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
There's Pine Grove.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2694/pipesandcigarscom-pine-grove

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I get an almost cedar like note from SPC Potlatch and I also detected it in GL Pease Haddo's Delight.
Not in the mouth so much, but more when smelling the burning chamber.
Both have Black Cavendish, Burley, Perique and Virginia. The Potlatch also has some Latakia.
I'm not sure which components, or combination of components, are creating that smell, but I like them both quite a bit.
I suppose it's not a huge step from cedar to pine or spruce, variances in interpretation. We have lots of cedar down here, so that's how I perceive it.
jay-roger.jpg

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
You might go to a smoke shop where they sell cigars and ask them if they have any Spanish cedar sheets from the cigar boxes. They are very aromatic, and I suppose they would eventually permeate any tobacco to some degree if together in a sealed environment(they certainly do to cigars). I wouldn't necessarily equate cedar to pine, but paired with the right latakia blend as mentioned above, it may be what you seek. You could probably do the same thing with spruce tips(put tobacco in a jar with some fresh tips and allow to age for spell), maybe even to a greater degree. I occasionally use spruce tips in a few winter ale recipes, and they are surprisingly potent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Depending on different taste buds, some tobaccos may impart a piney or spruce-like flavor and/or scent. I'd be reluctant to have a blend flavored with actual pine or spruce materials since I think they might be irritants if not toxic. Some holiday blends with cinnamon and other holiday scents left me with tongue and gum bite that was more like a chemical burn. I wouldn't recommend that.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I agree, Tom. While being a good ol' country boy from South Jawga, I do love the conifer aroma, I'm not sure I'd like something like that in a smoke. In fact I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. 8O

Jul 12, 2011
Man, I recall McClelland - Wilderness (Collector Series) hitting all those key notes. If you can find someone willing to sell you some I would snag a tin of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.