PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
A4D7168C-7DB6-4AC4-ACF3-4A92244EFB22-27961-00002FA761DD1198_zps9a9ef366.jpg
Grandson came in 2nd at the Pinewood Derby. At his age I was picking cotton, pulling Indigo in the rice fields, and feeding the ducks and chickens.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, I did the Pinewood Derby as a Cub Scout. I still have a picture of me at about ten years, in

a space helmet the Pack made out of old oversize commercial detergent tubs with a eye slot

and shoulder notches cut in them and antennae added, made out of coat hangers. I don't think

I ever advanced beyond Bobcat, low on the totem, but I had lots of fun anyway. What a whale of

a trophy your grandson has won. That's a nifty low-slung car he made. Congratulations to him.
Part of the pledge was, "...to be square and obey the law of the Pack." For some reason, that phrase

has stuck with me.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Crazy. A friend and I were JUST talking about pinewood derbies.
Congratulations to you and your grandson Brad.

Aug 1, 2012
Nice. Congrats to the little guy. My nephew ran his first derby today and I'm waiting to see how it turned out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I try to describe to newbies what an unfinished pipe looks like, since I highly recommend

them from time to time, I always compare unfinished briar to a Pinewood Derby car. Of course,

the briar isn't quite that bright a white, but if you have been looking at stained, finished briar,

an unfinished briar looks almost that naked white.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Our church had a pinewood derby a couple times. I helped my daughter make a car. It was so fun that my wife and I wanted to make one also. The event was open to adults also. The next year, my wife won 2nd place in design. I beat her in that category.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.