PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015

Brought to you by some formatting tips from chasingembers. They have more than Captain Black Grape on sale, but since it's the new Penzance, I figure it gets the mention...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's funny. Around here, you can get tubs of Captain Black blends at cigarette stores for $34 regular price. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny about over-the-counter blends. If you find one you like, they can be good. I ordered several pouches from PC, and all turned out to be to my liking, including Erin Go Braugh and John Bull English, but the big surprise was Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. SWR Regular, I can't taste. But Aromatic has Virginia as a condiment leaf and three liqueur flavorings and is surprisingly refined. I bought a tub of that as reserve. I suspect I could like Capt. Black Grape, although I got a big laugh when it first appeared. I have so many excellent tins on hand, but eventually I'll try Grape. I'd go for the pouch before I'd dream of a tub.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015

Thanks to whichever mod corrected the bloody typo in the title. I frequently end up typing "Pies and Cigars" instead, which shows you where my mood/stomach/mind is at.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In theory, I can buy five 12oz tubs of Captain Black Grape and:
1. Pay $200

2. Get $100 P&C cash from the Captain Black promo

3. Get $20 P&C cash from the cash back promo
So, effectively, $16 per tub or $1.33/oz. Not a bad sale if you like Captain Black. Gives P&C some end-of-year income and, if the dollar does poorly, a chance to convert more valuable 2017 bucks into stock than what they could buy if you spent 2018 Monopoly money. If the dollar does well, you are locked in to spending it at P&C without any guarantee that their prices will change. So it's an interesting gamble.

Jan 8, 2013
I have to imagine Captain Black Grape is at least better than Captain Black Cherry... that stuff is blended in Hell by the devil himself.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's funny how some denounce aros, when their sales are one of the biggest reasons that pipe smoking is still around.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My ex-Father in law used to smoke that sort of stuff. The bigger the bag and the cheaper the price seemed to be his motto and always seem to involve some form of cherry flavored drug store blend. I think I would give those offerings by Captain Monochromatic a miss!

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
Hmmm 8oz of Dunhill 965 is $31 and 12oz of CB grape is $34. A bit more tobacco, a lot less enjoyment. Just saying.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's funny how some denounce aros, when their sales are one of the biggest reasons that pipe smoking is still around.
For some of us, the added sugar/alcohol toppings on aros make them difficult and less fun to smoke. But in this thread, it seems like people are denouncing certain aros for not being good enough.
The obvious answer is to go buy a pallet of Royal Yacht.
Hmmm 8oz of Dunhill 965 is $31 and 12oz of CB grape is $34. A bit more tobacco, a lot less enjoyment. Just saying.
Indeed. Nothing is equal, including tobaccos, and sometimes you want to move up the quality chain. Then again, My Mixture 965 is an entirely different type of blend, although a glorious one.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
Deathmetal you are right, to each his own. For me less is a bit more. Nothing wrong with CB Grape if you like the taste and the price, and we do have drug store blends to thank for keeping the industry’s doors open.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The next bowl around here is going to be My Mixture 965, which is one of those eternal classics that I hope never goes away.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To second chasingembers' comment, P.C.'s Russ O. reminded us a while back that ninety-some percent of pipe tobacco sales is aromatic, so aro's literally keep the pipe tobacco alive. Just selfishly, I find some tobacco-forward aros really enjoyable as a counterpoint to my favorite non-aromatics. Aros are often milder, and milder tobaccos make the full-strength blends retain their vibrance, so they don't just numb out other blends' tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.