PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
How can one follow up the beautiful Gabrielle? I can't and I'm not even going to try, so here's a pic of a derelict suffering from PAD/TAD, which will probably be me in a couple of years if I keep going the way I have. Seriously, this is an illo (that's illustration to the uninitiated) for a UK book called "Laughing Boy's Shadow." I don't remember the plot line, I just saw the book with a color cover directly taken from my drawing! And they never even sent me a copy, the usual payment for illustrating something for the small press. I understand the drawing became the frontispiece for the printed novel.

derelict-431x600.jpg

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Sparrow, do you visualize the entire scene before you put the pen to paper or do you just let it happen? You are an amazing artist. I have a hard time even trying to imagine having that kind of talent.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You need to pursue their theft of your work. You are now owed a good bit more than they may have owed you initially.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Another amazing work from Sparrow, once again your work is incredible.

~Ron

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I can SWEAR I was there. 3am downtown Dublin, Hollyhead bordertown area.
Same trash can and lamp posts. Same boards on windows. Just ahhhh the motherland. Good ole Ireland's underbelly.
Superbly done, Good Sir!!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Wow, thanks for all the compliments! When I started doing this, I expected a chorus of members shouting to have me stop, my stuff was too grim. (More on that on next week's pic.) A couple of issues raised: Craig, I usually start with a very rough sketch, mainly outlines, and fill them in during the inking process. The final result is almost never what I envision; I'm always surprised at the final result, so the drawing is a revelation for me as much as it for you. Roth, I don't want to go into copyright law too much, except to say I used to actually lecture on it when the revolutionary 1978 law went into effect, primarily as it affected writers. Basically, the drawings are already protected by copyright on the moment of creation. As for people "stealing" my work, why bother? It isn't worth pursuing. The above drawing did appear with my permission, I was just never "paid" with a copy of the book, and since it was in the UK, it made matters more difficult. It simply wasn't worth the effort.

Next week: A celebration of the dark side.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Great drawing sparrowhawk! Thanks for sharing. I like how you did the light beam from street light.
It would be great to see some pipe drawings. Maybe a collage or something with different pipe shapes done in your style.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
To expand on Craig's question; on rare occasions I'll do a freehand, so to speak, drawing, without any outline. The drawing below is one such example: I was teaching at the time, and while my students were working I pulled out my technical pens and started drawing a mummy, with the intent of having him all with distorted limbs and so forth. It resulted in a much better drawing, to my mind, than I could have anticipated. I joked with my students that this is how I look in the morning when I wake (which isn't far from the truth) or the condition I was in after they, the students, finished with me at the end of the day.

mummy-358x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.