PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
My sculptor brother-in-law made me this awesome custom Zippo for Christmas. The front side has the 2nd Armored insignia, and a pin of an M109 self propelled artillery cannon. The back side has my initials and blood type. He included a .30 Carbine cartridge to attach to it using 550 paracord, and it has a leather belt holster. All packaged in a gift box with another 2nd Armored patch on it. It's pretty sweet.
zippo2-1-1.jpg

zippo4-1.jpg

zippo5-1.jpg

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I forgot, he's also giving me a side by side 20 gauge shotgun. The stock has a chip, so he's replacing it with a new one. Not bad :)
Oh, and the Zippo is the heavy armor model, and is 1.5 times thicker than a regular Zippo.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
How the hell did he figure out my blood type?? I've only had to go to the hospital once, and I'd never met him at the time.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Very nice gift from your brother in law there Dave.. Congrats!!!!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Were you a part of the 2nd Armored? I'm not implying you were in WWII, but they were active as recently as the Gulf War I think.
Are they still active?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
For the record, while I did sign up for the Army in the early eighties as a 13B cannon crewman (artilleryman), I signed up for the Delayed Entry Program. I got signed up and sworn in, but wouldn't have to ship out for six months. During that time, I made the biggest mistake of my life, decided I didn't want to be away from my friends for that long, went down to the recruiting sergeant, signed a bunch of papers and they let me back out. I'm an idiot.
It was a sweet deal, too. I'd have been a veteran, done my duty, and it was only two years of active duty, after which they were going to cut me a check for something like $12,000 'for college', but it was a personal check and I could have spent it on anything.
I see 2nd Armored signs around here in Grand Prairie TX, and for some reason have always had a soft spot for artillerymen, so when my bro asked if I wanted the Zippo engraved with a squirrel or something military, it was a no-brainer. But he outdid himself.
I am aware of the coolness of the lighter being Zippo's heavy armor model. The .30 Carbine has been a traditional artilleryman's rifle, being smaller than an infantryman's, and easier to maneuver in the cramped confines of a vehicle. If they wanted to take out my battery, there was less chance of getting overrun than there was of a couple of jets coming in low dropping napalm.
Biggest mistake of my life. Not the only one, just the one I regret the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.