PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Hmmmm.... Rosenthal Freehand... It has a nice ring to it, don't you think? A while back, a certain forum member by the name of Greg gave me and other members the Make You're Own Pipe bug. So I ordered some briar and put some tools on my Christmas list; a set of wood rasps and files and a coping saw. Having no idea what I was doing, I of course requested my briar block from Vermont Freehand be drilled, and I asked a bunch of questions from other members and probably drove one (Zack) nuts. But everyone was kind enough to answer any questions and I had a great learning experience and a lot of fun carving my first pipe.
My journey began here... http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/my-first-pipe-beginning-stages-pics where I logged the beginning stages of my progress and received some wonderful support from fellow members and carried into this thread... http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/my-first-pipe-final-stages-with-pics where I logged the final stages, advancements, and mistakes in my progress. Again, everyone, thank you for rooting me on (I'm a bit of a support junkie and it helps me in all parts of life)as I worked on this project. Your support as well as the enjoyment I have gotten out of this has assuredly added another wonderful piece to my pipe hobby. I will do another pipe soon.
I love Danish Freehands. I don't own many, but I love them and look at them online quite often. And I went into this wanting to create my own "American Made" Danish style freehands. So I looked at My Nordings and a few Ben Wades online, and thought I would create a fluted dublin shaped freehand (as so many freehands are) but I learned when the pipe began actually taking shape that, after a certain point, the briar takes over and says "I want to be something else." Mine said, "I want to be a Pick Axe."
"Cool," I thought. "I've don't own a pick axe, and actually would like one." It wouldn't have mattered anyway. The briar had taken over and wouldn't have taken no for an answer anyway. I almost didn't carve the fluting. I knew it would take away some of the plateau from the top of the pipe which was quite beautiful. The pipe said it wanted some fluting but that it was ok if I decided how to do it. So I made the fluting more direct and sharp as opposed to the flowing curves you see on the floral freehands. I think it added a great punch to the look of the pipe.
Finally (I'm trying my best to make a long story short. See my links above if you want the full story... with pics :D )I did a contrast stain. First black followed by a few coats of light brown between sanding.
Now understand, this is my very first pipe, done completely by hand. The only power tool I used was a drill that I attached buffing wheels to for tripoli and carnauba wax and final buffing. It's not perfect by any means but I'm more than pleased with it. There are things I learned not to do next time, and there are things I think I could have done better. But it's my first. And I love it. And so I bring you the very first Rosenthal Freehand. A Pick Axe... although dubbed by member Newbroom the Freehawk. I think the name Freehawk suits it just fine. Thanks Newbroom.
CAM01067.jpg
[/url][/img]
CAM01066.jpg
[/url][/img]
CAM01065.jpg
[/url][/img]
CAM01068.jpg
[/url][/img]
My favorite things about the pipe are the flame grain and the plateau. And the white marbled stem, although not my first choice, adds a nice touch. I ended up getting a little bit of stain in the chamber although I thought the wine cork plug idea was a good one. However, after a few smokes, it probably won't be very noticeable. There area a couple small areas where I think the stain could have been better but it doesn't really take away from the look of the pipe much. All in all I'm proud of this pipe, and proud of myself as well.
Hmmm... Rosenthal Freehand. It has a nice ring to it, don't ya think? Maybe someday after I've learned a few things, and made a few more pipes. But for now, it's just this one. And I'm looking forward to it's maiden smoke.
Happy smokes everyone :D

Dec 24, 2012
Wow Dude, you may have to change careers. Well done. Nice staining job especially.
I hate people who have talent.
:wink:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Never doubted ya' for a second! :mrgreen:
VERY nice job Anthony ... let us know how it smokes! :clap:

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Finally!!!
This has been like waiting for my wife to pop when she was pregnant with our oldest.
You did an awesome job. First pipe or not, I think anyone would be proud to have that one in their closet.
The best part for me was the time you took to document your process. Having had the same experience myself recently, it was very interesting to see it through someone else's eyes. I think the sum of your posts gets that experience across. I hope it gives others the same bug to try it.
There is only one problem that I could see. The bottom of the bowl is naked briar. Needs some fresh carbon on it.
Smoke that thing!
I'm packing my first hand made (Crack-A-Toa) in your and your newly completed pipes honor.
Good show Anthony.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Good lord bro, i have to be honest i was not expecting that for a first pipe by ANYONE! Fantastic job and the grain, stain and stem all look exquisite and go together well. I hope she smokes as good as she looks. I think Pecker might be on to something, lol! :clap:

Jan 8, 2013
Wow, everyone. Thank you, sincerely! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process,except a couple of occasions when wood rasp met knuckle. I can't tell you enough how much I recommend trying your hand at making your own pipe. It's a true joy watching it take shape. I will be doing another one soon. I drew up a Rhodesian-esque shape I'd like to try. As soon as i see a chunk of briar that i think might work for that I'll jump on it. Now I have to decide what kind of blends to dedicate it to :) I'll be sure to let you all know how it smokes. Again...thanks everyone :)

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
That is one beautiful pipe. I would be proud to smoke a pipe like that in public any day of the week. Great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.