Picked Up Some Freelance Work!! PAD and TAD Beckon...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I do not usually seek out freelance work (mostly of a design nature: web site, video or print). But every so often an opportunity arises and I get lucky. I hope to soon have $700 of mad money to spend as I choose!!
So I now have dilemma! PAD, TAD or both? A single Rad Davis commission and maybe some TAD?
rad2-600x262.jpg

Maybe some Dunhill PAD? Or do I go for 3-4 moderately priced estates (Sav, Pete, Stanwell) and put the rest towards TAD? I wouldn't mind adding several pipes to my rotation.
This will no doubt be a difficult, torturous decision to make... (one that I will enjoy every minute of!) :puffy:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats on the upcoming "mad money" and the anticipation you've just built for yourself Six! Sounds like some fun decision making ahead.
I'm sure you've already done a SWOT analysis, but I'd be in the "try to get more bang for my buck" camp and be looking at high-grade estates. You could flush out your rotation well with a pull from some of our favourite purveyors of Estate Pipes.
Now if you don't find any estates that speak to you, you could take plan b) and... Commission a pipe right now, put 25% down as an advance on your commission; blow the rest of your free cash on TAD, and then spend the next 3 months saving up what you need to pay for your commission. 8)
Regardless of what decision you make, I hope getting there is a fun journey.
Cheers,
-- Pat
EDIT - I don't think you need to limit yourself to Stanwell, Sav & Petes in your estate search. You can find good prices on Dunhill, Upshall, Ashton, Ferndown, and even artisan maker pipes in a scan of the usual suspects.
Like this Ashton: http://www.briarblues.com/rua61.htm
Or this Barling: http://mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee3009.html
Or ... well you pick, Marty has some nice UK Factory pipes here: http://pulversbriar.com/english.html

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Congratulations, and have fun with the decision process!
I've limited myself to a proper ashtray this month. :D

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I would lean to the Rad or Dunhil and TAD from there. Though I don't have a Dunhill or Rad. So that influences my decision.

B

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys for the ideas.
I've definitely have the bug. I haven't spent a dime on PAD or TAD in months. Been driving me a bit batty not having a UPS package arrive in the mail!
But I honestly don't know what I will choose...
If I spend wisely, I can snag three quality estates at around $150 each. This would leave me with $250 (maybe even more) on TAD.
Or a single Rad Davis PAD at around $350-450. This would leave me with around $300 or so for TAD.
Or possibly 8-10 lbs of quality TAD... which would cover me for more than a year.
Choices... choices... :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
FWIW, I'd go the estate route for the pipe(s). I just got an immaculate 2012 Bruce Weaver from Smoking Pipes for half what this pipe would sell for new. They're out there. Half the fun, for me anyway, is finding just the right pipes.
I'd also definitely put some of the cash aside for stocking up the cellar.
Believe it or not, right now that's the way I am leaning. No matter what, it's a nice decision to have to make. :puffy:

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Money well spent either way. You can count on the members here to honor your choice with our codependency.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I don't have anything in the price range or quality of a Rad Davis. So I would go that way, but then again I'd probably still try to find an Artisan Estate pipe so I could have more money for Tobacco or possibly even another pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.