PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Here are some of my favorite Peterson pipes all together at my smoking desk. But now I'm having a problem. I can't make up my mind which pipe to smoke tonight! From left to right is a Silver Spigot XL90, Silver Spigot B42, Clontarf XL21, Grafton 106, Dublin & London (second generation) 106, and Rosslare Royal Irish 106. All are fantastic smokers. If you were me, which would you choose? Please help!!! 8O
AbI7Tj3.jpg

Please excuse the foggy photo.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Wow. Those are beautiful. The rims are perfect. Care to share your lighting technique that keeps them looking brand new? They almost look unsmoked.
And I’m loving the label on your Blackhouse jar.

Jan 8, 2013
The bulldog.
Been smoking that one almost exclusively since Christmas. It was brought back by my sister and her husband when they went to Ireland this past fall. They actually went to the Peterson shop in Dublin. I'm jealous.
You do realise that this thread is gonna leave you even more confused, right? :twisted:
Yes, no, maybe....
Wow. Those are beautiful. The rims are perfect. Care to share your lighting technique that keeps them looking brand new? They almost look unsmoked.
I'm simply careful not to touch flame to the rim when lighting, when using either matches or lighter. I also corkscrew a paper towel into the bowl, turn it around and do it again, sometimes a third time, immediately after a smoke to keep the cake in the chamber practically non existent. Any cake formed is extremely thin, and almost smooth.
And I’m loving the label on your Blackhouse jar.
I was wondering if someone would notice that. That's actually the first jar of Blackhouse I ever filled in 2013. I'm about to open it for the first time. :mrgreen:

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I'm a sucker for Petes, billiards, and spigots. So, I'm no help, unless you have a Peterson, billiard that's a spigot.
Nice collection by the way.
You can't go wrong with any of those.

Jan 8, 2013
unless you have a Peterson, billiard that's a spigot.
A Silver Spigot 106 is planned. I want one with the older stem and spigot fitting as seen on my XL90 and B42. I like the look of them more than the new stem and fitments they've been using lately. They're out there, though. I've seen a few. But I also want it in the walnut stain to match my others. Although a natural would be nice too. I'm up to four 106 and I'm looking to make at least a 7 day set out of them. My current impossible to find option is the Peterson Celtic 106 (not the celtic ebony).
It's been a long week........... go for the one with the biggest bowl!.
That would without a doubt be the B42. Very comfortable in the hand. Like holding a ball made of wood. It's a comforting feel. Good for stress, I think.
Although hard to find fault with the others, except the bulldog.
No fault can be had with the dog in my opinion. It's actually quite nice, except for the rusticated portion of the bowl, the briar is near flawless with fantastic grain. I bet it was originally intended as a Sherlock Holmes Natural Hudson before some flaws showed up on top portion of bowl. Smokes like a dream too.
I'd say the Rosslare Royal Irish 106. I love the stem on it. Would have said the dog, buuuut you said you been smoking it a lot lately, so I'd say that Rosslare Royal Irish 106!
Not counting really, but I'm betting that's a three way tie between the dog, the Rosslare, and the Clontarf... or the B42. This IS confusing :rofl:

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Like holding a ball made of wood
Reminds me of the Savinelli 320. In fact, I believe it was one of your posts that mentioned how well they smoked? Up until recently, I despised the look of fat, short bulldog type pipes but based on that post, I bought one. What an unbelievable smoker and feels so good in the hand. I now own 4 and are probably my favorite pipes.
Anyway, which pipe made the cut for tonight? Your killin us here!

Jan 8, 2013
Reminds me of the Savinelli 320. In fact, I believe it was one of your posts that mentioned how well they smoked? Up until recently, I despised the look of fat, short bulldog type pipes but based on that post, I bought one. What an unbelievable smoker and feels so good in the hand. I now own 4 and are probably my favorite pipes.
Oh yeah, I'm a huge believer in the magic of the 320. Butt ugly pipes in most photos, you can't really appreciate them until you have one on hand. The B42 is a bit more of a handful, and a bit nicer in the hand than the Sav 320. Also a wide chamber, but not shallow like the Sav 320.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the obvious solution - pack them all with something tasty and stay up all night smoking them each in turn and then sleep until Wednesday afternoon. Blissfully. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.