PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This one caught my eye... I was immediately doomed, without a hope of passing on it. It is the best looking 304 Meerschaum I've encountered and will make a great addition to my growing collection of African Block Petersons... HEIGHT OF BOWL; 1 3/4"; DIAMETER OF PIPE BOWL: 3/4"; LENGTH: 5 3/8 "
peterson304meerschaum003.jpg

peterson304meerschaum004.jpg

peterson304meerschaum009.jpg

arinbjorn

Might Stick Around
Sep 14, 2011
Gorgeous! I'm green with envy right now. Been wanting a military mounted meer for a long, looonnnggg time...

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Fred
Is the black color onnthe outside front of the bowl char or meer coloring from being smoked? Nice find.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys. These old African Block Peterson Meerschaums are getting harder to find since the Laxey mines shut down in '06. Eaglerico, this Pipe's color was applied at the factory, ergo the 'Tawney' designation. African Block typically is a mottled grey unlike the high grade Turkish Block, so most African Block Meerschaums received pigment coloration at the factory. They are also heavier not only due to the inclusion of minerals and aggregate material in the Block, but they were 'Calcinated' after being carved, to give them greater strength and durability. They will color with smoking and the use of Beeswax, but it will be more of a gradual process than high grade Turkish Block. They make great roustabout Pipes that smoke well and don't require a lot of care to perform well. I've seen them color all the way to black but I can't say how many owners that Pipe served. The amazing thing about this one is that it has been well cared for and even has the box. Typically, these Pipes have been neglected and abused, so this one is an especially rare find. A few years ago, I saw a 1970's Facet cut Peterson go for over $350 US, but it was well colored and the bit didn't have any marks on it whatsoever... Like I said, I saw it but passed on the opportunity....

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Beautiful pipe, love the rustication on it.

Could you explain at all the "calcination" process you mentioned ? I always heard african meer was tougher, but never heard there was a process behind it.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Can't go too far wrong with a Peterson Meerschaum in my experience. That's a beauty you found there Fred.

Here are my two.

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
There's not much available information on "calcination" of African Block Lonestar. This may be because of it being proprioratory...? Yes Robs, they are good Pipes & those of yours are looking like you've been smoking them for awhile... Nice patina going on the sitter.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Here's some more Petes...
KGrHqUOKogE4uZJDEgBOSGBoZTk0_31.jpg

This one is truly rare. Estate Peterson Dublin Sterling Facet African Block Meerschaum. Total length 61/2"; Bowl Height 2"; Bowl Width 1.25"; The silver band is 3/4" wide. Shape No. 312. This pipe is an “Aboriginal Yellow” it has a special sculpted finish and was mounted with a sterling silver bandhttp://www.peterson.ie/pipes/hallmarking. It is my guess that this pipe was manufactured circa 1970-1980 as I know that this model was generally available at that time.

Angela Fortune; Kapp & Peterson Limited
DSCF0027_0361.jpg

BtUPeKQBmkKGrHqYOKjYEvnyNtyGWBL7bTGDnJw_121.jpg

And here's an Isle of Man..
BlpdTTQBGkKGrHqMOKiUEtlzZpQCBLcfRfvg_121.jpg

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks Romeowood. I've been at this for awhile.., and it takes all the lunch money.

Status
Not open for further replies.