PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Okay, I'll admit, I'm a Sherlockian. I love Sherlock Holmes, the old series with Jeremy Brett, the new Sherlock series, the movies, the old Arthur Conan Doyle stories, anything at all to do with Sherlock Holmes. So, today I received in the mail, my order from Pipes and Cigars, which included a tin of Peterson Sherlock Holmes. I rushed home to try it out. Naturally, my Peterson Sand Blasted Sherlock Holmes pipe was the pipe of choice for the inaugural bowl.

The description on the tin says it's a Virginia and Burley leaf blend of great character with a sweet taste and aromatic aroma. Quite right. Upon opening the tin, I found it was somewhat drier than other tins I've enjoyed, but still moist. I would say it was perfect right out of the tin. It lit very easily, and smoked completely without a relight. The aroma was fantastic, as was the taste. The Virginias and Burley really shine through, not too strong, just right. My wife arrived home from work as I was halfway through, and she really liked it. (She's a bigger Sherlockian than I am actually, and probably the reason I became so enamored with the great sleuth). She is now encouraging me to light up again so she can savor the aroma. I was really enjoying the smoke, my first of the day on my balcony overlooking Nakagusuku Bay on the Pacific side of Okinawa, even wearing my vintage red silk Oriental smoking jacket, with my Chocolate Lab and wife keeping me company as we discussed our day. All too soon, I had finished it, and we retired indoors. Tempted as I was to fire up another bowl immediately, I'm waiting for dinner and will once again enjoy a bowl as a nightcap before going to bed. Two thumbs up from me, and two more from my wife.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like a great experience, but what sounds even better is that she sounds like a great candidate for a smoking partner as well! Buy that lady a pipe brother! :wink:

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
You know Captain, that's something I'm considering. She is the BEST! She just told me how glad she is that I've become immersed in pipe culture. I've enjoyed pipe smoking off and on throughout our marriage, butt until recently, it was mostly on special occasions or on vacation. This year, I've just plunged completely in, and I'm enjoying it daily. She is very supportive, even encourages me to smoke inside. She is really a keeper, for sure. Twenty two years this year, and it still feels like we are newly-weds.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Oh, and bonus, we just returned last night from Hokkaido, where we visited my wife's sister and her family. She also loved the aroma from my pipe and was very supportive of my lighting up in her house. I feel as though I've won the lottery!

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
You are living the dream my friend! Japan has always been my dream holiday destination but I've never made it there and my wife practically demands that I have a shower after every bowl as she hates the smell so much. Glad you've enjoyed that blend, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on it. One man's meat is another man's poison though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Definite lottery win brother. Will be turning 50 alot sooner than I would like, and believe that a Japanese getaway is going to be my present to myself.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
I've been fortunate to live here the past 16 years. However, my time in this beautiful country is coming to an end. There is a five-year limit on Federal workers overseas, and it's finally catching up with me. However, I've landed on my feet. God has smiled upon me yet again, as I've been offered a new job in Hawaii, and we will be moving there in May. Anew adventure awaits.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
I too am a Sherlockian, and I've been anticipating trying Peterson's SH for a while, but never quite got around to it... Sounds like yours was a great first experience!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Holmes fan here also. Books, Basil Rathbone movies, Jeremy Brett series. Not the unmitigated travesties of the Downey movies or the Beneful Cumberbund series. Those would make Conan-Doyle vomit in his grave. I wonder why other English pipe makers like Dunhill or Ashton don't have a Holmes line. One theory I have is it's because they make high-quality pipes and don't need to fall back on pathetic evocative references to hawk their wares. Peterson could be refered to as The Case Of The Missing QC Department.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I'm moving to Hawaii in May also. I'm moving also somewhat from the idiotic OTEX via Europe for the last 8 years. I'm not complaining, but if it weren't for the five year rule I wouldn't be moving.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
gtrhtr, where you headed? I am with you on that, I wouldn't be leaving here if I didn't have to, but I'm happy to get what I did in Hawaii. I'm headed for the Marine Base at Kaneohe Bay.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I've enjoyed Peterson SH quite a bit in the past, I'm blessed that I can buy it in bulk locally. Most reviewers seem to ding it for lacking complexity, but so does Prince Albert and Carter Hall and those are still greatly loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.