PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
It's been a long time since I haven't shared my recent restorations. This Peterson's Dublin in spigot mount from 1980 (based on the Peterson's hallmarkings) deserved to be here :

Gallery http://pipes-estate.com/galerie/galerie.php?pipe=b5a9c96f297c254355a75df69e98e2b2a79b1bb7

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Beautiful work. One of the members here, ssjones, get teeth marks out by heating a butter knife and applying the heat to the stem. I think he wraps the bled in a rag to avoid searing. I'm pretty sure he details his method on reborn pipes.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
That's fine work. I love the shot for shot before and after pictures.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This isn't a pipes and tobacco forum, it's an art forum. I appreciate it too.
When I see a pipe restored it lifts my spirits. ? What about the inside? How's that look?

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Phenomenal refurb! That birdseye is stunning! It reminds me of the turbulence seen in a freshly poured Guinness, Boddingtons or Young's Double Chocolate.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Outstanding work!
Out of curiousity, about how many hours (and I know that each one will be different) go into a resto like that?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Not too shabby. You've got some latent oxidation on the stem in the "from the left" shot :mrgreen:
That deep tooth mark may or may not come out, even with heat. If it doesn't. I'd leave it alone as it seems to be on the airway. Replacement spigot stems are expensive.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Using a shell casing would make sense. Without going off topic I have a couple of meerschaums that have been repaired in a similar fashion. I must say that is a very nice pipe at the beginning of this thread.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
Thank you all for your remarks, it's always interesting advices and observations to read on this forum.
Really nice craftsmanship, LMF.
Even if you can't pull out that tooth indent I'm still impressed.
Fnord

Trying to pull this tooth mark would be too risky (the stem is not wide enough) and I already have had bad experiences with heating process, if it was a standard stem, I would have simply replaced, but here it is a hallmarked spigot and I prefer to leave it like that.
What about the inside? How's that look?

The cake has been entirely removed and, to my astonishment, the chamber is unharmed, just showing standard usage marks, but no burned area or starting cracks. The shank & mouthpiece have been completely cleaned as well, ready to smoke and will make the pleasure for a friend living near St-Claude in France.
Are you sanding down and restraining your restorations or just a deep clean and buff? They look amazing.
For this particular restor, no sanding and no stain, only cleaned with 'steel pool' (don't know if it the right word?) & oil.
Out of curiousity, about how many hours (and I know that each one will be different) go into a resto like that?
Difficult to say as I usually work by batch of around 7 to 10 pipes. Restoring this pipe alone could easily take more than one hour, especially on the stem and the inside cleaning of the shank.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Wonderful restoration on this Pete. Do you keep all of your projects, or sell them? A beautiful estate like this would be a prized addition to anyone's collection.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I always enjoy seeing your work.
To be clear, the hot knife and steam is for pulling dents out of briar.
I use a flame to help lift out vulcanite teeth indentions. It can be risky up if too close to the button. Trying to heat a deep mark (like that one) will sometimes cause a crack. If they are underneath, like that one, sometimes they are better off left alone. A little heat might pull that one up a bit. It's pretty far from the button, so if it were me, I'd give it a shot. (I just wave a lighter under the dent, gentle heat!)

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Great work! I love seeing these before and after resto pics. Makes me anxious to get my hands on another project pipe and spend some time at the work bench.
Might have to start poking around the bay and see what I can find :)

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
Wonderful restoration on this Pete. Do you keep all of your projects, or sell them? A beautiful estate like this would be a prized addition to anyone's collection.

Thank you for your comments. I must admit that most of my restorations are sold on ebay but when I am not fully satisfied of one, I prefer to keep it because sometimes, a pipe which shows some imperfections can however be an average or good smoker.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Black super glue and stem dust may cover that indent up enough to be barely noticeable. I couldn't smoke a pipe with an indent like that but I am a picky sob.
Great job on making that Pete look mint again!

Status
Not open for further replies.