PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
I've been considering getting a Peterson for a while now, but I've read some topics discussing how the quality for low and middle-end pipes have been declining due to QC problems.
I was thinking of this one specifically,
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=153584
Should I be worried or just go for it? I may also be able to go to Ireland sometime in January, so I have the chance to visit their storefront.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Most of my pipes are Peterson's, and I have no complaints. Great pipes at reasonable prices. The only one I have with a clear defect is a 106 in which the bowl drilling from the stem side has a false start (they corrected midway and redrilled). It has no effect on how the pipe smokes and is only visible if you look for it. For an $80 brand new pipe, I have no qualms.
Common complaints include improper drilling (as in leaving a well area and causing gurgle) and bubbles in the polish soon after the first smoke. Those seem to be like defects any retailer would honor the warranty for. Have fun at their Ireland store!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You'll also find threads extolling the Peterson. Any purchase is a crap shoot, even an in-person one. Just carefully inspect the pipe when you get it. If unacceptable, return it. Prior to smoking of course. And, purchase only from a dealer with a liberal return policy.
I've purchased from the store, in person, a couple of times over the years when in Dublin. Check out Fox, it's a block away for other pipes and tobacco also. Both are well worth the visit.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
Smoking Pipes' return policy seems to be good on that end, so I'll give them a try I suppose

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think there was a period of time several years ago when there were some serious quality issues. I have not heard anything negative about Peterson's recently so it's a fair guess that the QC is back to where it should be. One area that still concerns some, however, is the drilling; so check that out and make sure your satisfied.

Jun 4, 2014
I think they have been working on their QC issues. The Peterson Christmas Pipe I just received has good drilling, stem fits with no gaps, band is tight, and it does not appear to have been dipped into the stain.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I recently purchased an Aran 80s bulldog and the fit and finish is quite good. It smokes great, english blends only.

I'd buy another.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have had a lot of Petes and gravitated towards the higher end ones eventually because they are superior quality wise. I don't think anyone has as classic and eye appealing shapes as Peterson. That is what has always attracted me to them. I would not recommend the lower end ones personally. I'd say look at Savanelli or Stanwell if you want quality for your money at that price point. Pre-Republic Petes are well made and smoke great and I've bought them for around $100+ and are a bargain for a 1947 and before pipe.

billm67

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Camp Hill, PA
All of my Pete's are newer ones. I have about 6 or so and I think they are great values. They all smoke great and great shapes. I say go somewhere that has a few in stock because I have bought a couple online that I thought I would like but even though they are great pipes...I just don't smoke them. My favorites are rusticated Pete's. They just feel good in my hand.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I didn't buy Petes for a long time. I just don't like the P-lip but recently they have started making a lot more pipes with fishtail bits. I've purchased several in the last few years and never had any quality issues. Most were in the better grades. I would recommend them. They're a good value for the price.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I think this is an issue of knowing yourself. We sell A TON of Peterson pipes and 98% of people who buy them love them. But there are the 2% (who probably really should be buying higher-end pipes) that want everything to be completely perfect or they are not going to be happy. If you're one of those people, I recommend a high-end pipe from an artisan maker. If not, you'll probably love your Peterson.
That said, there have been quality control issues with some Petes in the last few years. As long as you buy from a reputable retailer, we are checking our pipes for some of those issues and will help you solve it if you get one we don't catch. The most common issue I've seen is the bubbling on the green finishes. Peterson has discontinued all the green finishes for that reason, so I wouldn't buy any with that. Otherwise, you should be fine.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got an older Pete that smokes great. If I were to buy a new one with their QC issues I would only buy a higher grade pipe like your looking at there. At the low end of pipes I would much rather buy a Sav.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I have several "low end" Petes without any issues other than one that had a blister appear in the clear finish. I was offered a refund or exchange but kept the pipe as it was a gift. All of the drilling appears fine and they all smoke great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, as a matter of fact I just did.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think reniaeates probably has it nailed. Many people demand perfection even as they refuse to spend the moneys necessary to insure such. And that 2% are very vocal in expressing their displeasure.
As a photographer I run into the same situation, close to the same percentage I think. I spend considerable moneys on a big piece of glass. I could get the same focal length, acceptably sharp for a fraction of what I spent. I prefer to save, do without for a while until I can afford the best built, sharpest lens on the market.
I expect, usually get, perfection by doing this. The manufacturer caters to me because of this. When I need a repair, adjustment or cleaning, a loaner is immediately dispatched to my home, one-day shipping usually. My repair goes to the head of the line when it arrives at the facility, The estimate is received via telephone, not email. And, the repair is not left to the new guy. All services which I demand, expect and receive with appreciation and deference from the maker.
I purchased a Continental for my wife years ago. The level of service she received was certainly higher than what I, an F-150, driver received from the same dealer.
In many things one does indeed get what one pays for.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have one that was purchased as an estate pipe. It smokes great and is a fine looking 3/4 bent, with great grain, a large silver band, and a fishtail bit. A Donegal Rocky XL02 purchased new several years ago, had the metal band come off while cleaning one day. I super glued it back on.
They are good looking pipes indeed. Having said that, there is a world of good looking pipes out there.

Watch this forum, it literally swims with them on a daily basis. If a man had a million dollar PAD budget he could blow through it in short order between all the artisan and factory made pipes.

I just think that for a company like Peterson, you should at least be confident that you will have a better chance at getting a well-drilled, well-fit stemmed pipe than a Dr. Grabow. Otherwise, drop the price point to compete with the Grabows.
But yeh, that said, there are slews of men who love those workingman pipes. They are a love/hate thing. Just as there are men extremely passionate about them, there are just as many that the very name enrages.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Any pipe maker with their feet in both the budget and high end markets runs the risk of having one contaminate the other. As buyers a Peterson is a Peterson but as warren so apply pointed out,

In many things one does indeed get what one pays for.
Lincolns, Cadillacs, BMWs and Mercedes all have warranty programs. Even high end is no guaranteed of perfection.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might want to wait and buy your pipe at the store in Dublin, to be able to heft and examine it closely. I have six Petes of various shapes, weights, and series, all bought new with online sponsors, with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.