Peterson stem replacements - what fits?!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennings

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Hi folks...I've just finished cleaning up an older Peterson System Standard 305 bowl, but have just found out that the current Peterson stems are too big to fit! Anyone know a source of stems that would fit an 11.5mm hole?! I don't mind what make or design it is...I'm just after something to get the pipe up and running again.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I'm not trying to sound glib but plenty of us have lathes and can turn one for you. What's outside shank diameter its mating up to?

I'm booked solidly through the season but if no one pops in then I will do it after the new year. Really hate leaving a piper in need but I just am buried at the moment and can't spread any thinner.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 on turning the stem. If you have a source for the Pete stems, try the next size down, System stems come in 3 sizes: small, medium and large, plus the straight ones to fit the 31. If the current 305 ( large ) stem doesn't fit it, perhaps the medium will. IIRC I once had an older 305 or 307 that the stem OD on the military mount was much smaller than the current ones.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Any pipe repair place will probably do it real cheaply since you already have the stem and just need it turned. Try Walker Pipe Repair, they are really good.

jennings

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Thanks for the replies folks...and thanks for the offer guhrillastile too...I'll let you get Christmas out of the way and see whether I've solved my problem in the meantime.
The bowl's metal collar is about 21.6mm wide on the outside, and measuring the hole inside which the stem should slot into gives me the 11.5mm at the wider end. So far in the UK I have only found one online place which I can source a Peterson stem from, but these are the larger 12-13mm items. They say that the smallest ones to fit my bowl are no longer available, and they don't have any new old stock. The larger stems are about £14 I think, with shipping on top of that. So I guess it would be possible then to buy one of these and then have it turned to reduce it to the right fit...I hadn't thought of that until you all suggested it! Great idea!!! Actually the online shop has also said that their repair guy can make and fit a stem up for £25 (including return shipping), but his waiting list is currently 6 - 8 weeks. I suspect slightly longer with the Christmas break approaching too.
My only local repair guy is still a yank to get to and didn't reply to the last request I sent (making and fitting a new bowl to a calabash), so I'm probably not going to try him for this if I can help it. I ended up sourcing a bowl and doing the fitting myself! Thus I'm left with either doing this myself (I don't have a lathe, so anything I do is going to have to be by hand...but I'm always happy to have a go!), finding someone else to alter a larger P-stem, or finding a stem which happens to fit of its own accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.