PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Lol, funny to already be talking about these since 2015 are still on the market, but Peterson already has the 2016 model ready and will be released on time this year. They will be shipping to retailers in late December-early January. So hopefully they will be to market on time this (next) year.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I didn't get a pic of it but it's a brown finish (no green) with an orange-ish band encased in two silver rings. Band is like those found on a Peterson Dalkey.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orange? No green? I wonder if that will cause some kind of a political flap in Ireland. God love 'em, may they all live in peace and prosperity forever. And keep making good pipes.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
My ex and I were married March 16th, honeymooned in Monterey, CA. The next morning (St. Patrick's Day) was cold and foggy. We donned our matching orange turtlenecks and were off to visit some of the many Spanish missions around the area. At one, we were confronted by the priest who chastised us for wearing orange because that was the color of Protestant Northern Ireland, said we should be wearing green, the color of Catholic Ireland.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds like they have things well in order for next years St Paddy's Day pipes. I bought an XL90 this year. Curious to see what next years will look like. :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
You can see pics of these pipes and a description of them in the recent post/report on the IPCPR show that Kevin posted. Some very nice looking pipes. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Saw the St. Pat's pipes on the IPCPR post and they are really sharp, extra traditional. I think they will sell big time.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I agree mso489...I like them even more than the green 2015 pipes even though the green suits a St Paddy's Day pipe. I wonder if they will do a Father's Day pipe this year? :puffy:

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Peterson Pipe notes blog has a piece on the 2016 St Pat's pipe. However, I can't tell that it's any different from the Dalkey, whatsoever. I've only seen both online, and not in person. I was thinking about getting a St Pat's Day pipe this year, but now I'm not so sure. I've always thought the Dalkey was beautiful, though I prefer acrylic stems. But the similarity is just confusing to me.
https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For St. Patricks Day every year I have an Around the World Peterson commemorating Ireland, a bent bulldog. Will this save me from PAD? Who knows.

mgvsquared

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
I bought the poker shape and preordered a tin. Very nice pipe for 100. I think it'd be a nice tradition to buy it yearly.

Jan 8, 2013
Peterson isn't producing these in my beloved XL90 shape this year :( It has become my tradition to get one every year in the XL90. I don't want to break my tradition of getting a pipe every year, but I feel it's already half broken because of the exclusion of my favorite Peterson shape. I may or may not settle for the XL02.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I bought the poker shape and preordered a tin. Very nice pipe for 100. I think it'd be a nice tradition to buy it yearly.
That poker looks very nice for what they're asking. I think my shop downtown has it in stock. I'll probably stop down there today and pick it up as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have my Peterson quotient (famous last words). Still, to offer an opinion, I like this particular version of the St. Pat's pipe quite well in the bent shapes. For some reason, the silver-tone and orange band works well with the bent shapes but looks a tad gaudy with a straight pipe. I know, I know, just my quirky take, but it is a strong enough instinct that I'll share it and see if anyone agrees, or sees it just the opposite. I hope Pete is minding its quality control; they make such stout and sturdy pipes, so pleasing to the eye. I'm smitten with the Around the World bulldog (Ireland) and the B11 bent brandy shape (I have two). Their little Rustique Belgique Group 1 is my favorite for sampling blends.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
The orange band does look a bit out of place. It would probably be better if it were green instead of orange maybe? I guess it's good for St. Patrick's Day, though. And it could also work on Halloween.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Well, I picked mine up from Iwan Ries yesterday. The orange band isn't as distracting as it looks in the picture. It kind of blends in with the wood grain.
We were looking at it at the shop yesterday and discussed how odd it was that Peterson would use orange instead of green since they're making a pipe for a Catholic holiday, but the orange in the Irish flag, which the pipe is referencing, is the color of the northern protestants. I'm sure it was unintentional, but you'd think someone at the office would've been like, "Hang on a minute. . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.