PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I can't believe it took me seven years! Er... wait.... well that does kinda make sense, now that I think about it :mrgreen:
My very first Peterson, one of my very first decent pipes, was the Peterson Saint Patrick's Day 2013 XL90, which resulted in a love affair with Peterson pipes, and a yearly tradition with the Saint Patrick's Day pipes. I nearly broke my tradition a couple times through the years, and indeed did skip last year, only to fill that hole this year. I won't make that mistake again. This years pipe made it a 6 day set, and last years pipe (finally) filled the missing hole and made it a 7 day set. Collecting these through the years has been one of the things I love most about the pipe smoking lifestyle. Every year I look forward to seeing what pipe shapes, color scheme, etc., Peterson chose. I've been immediately excited upon first sight most of the time, although a few took some time to grow on me before I finally made a purchase. In the end though, I've always been pleased with the result.
Here they are from left to right, and then center. Nickel bands are looking dull on a few of them, but otherwise they still look quite nice.
0M4XEFN.jpg

2013 XL90 Again, I love this pipe. To this day it is one of my favorite pipes among all that I've acquired since 2013. Nicely sized pipe, very comfortable in the hand. Great smoker.
2014 XL90 I loved the prior year so much I had to have another XL90. I almost skipped 2014 because it was blasted when I prefer smooth. Glad I didn't skip it. My girlfriend purchased this one for me.
2015 XL90 See a pattern here? And the year's would be one of the best yet, with it's dark green stain with the partial rusticated top portion of the bowl. I loved it! Unfortunately this would "technically" be the last XL90 in the lineup to since.
2016 999 What? No XL90!!!??? I was terribly upset, raised a fuss even, and even complained about it here on the Pipesmagazine Forum! And I thought that orange center in the nickel band looked stupid! I almost skipped it in 2016. I wanted my beloved XL90 (maybe the next year, right?), wasn't happy with the band... I struggled with this one, having a hard time deciding which pipe out of those offered to purchase. I finally settled on the 999, and was much happier when I had it in hand. This was my first encounter with great looking pipes that had lousy photogenic properties. I was quite happy when I finally had this one.
2017 106 No XL90 again??? Heartbroken.... But the pipes offered looked really cool with the celtic knot work laser engraved on the band, and a return to the green stain. Still, I had a very hard time finding one I really liked as far as the shapes go. I settled for a 106, although I'm not a fan of straight pipes. However, I fell in love with the pipe, and it began my love affair of the 106 shape.
2018 106 Whaaaaaat??? Green again? And that yellow stem with the military mount, yuck. Just yuck. To be honest I wasn't in a mood for a year dated pipe anyway. 2018 was not off to a good start for me, personally. I chose to skip it. I finally purchased this one after I purchased the 2019 pipe. I'm glad I went back for it, finally. Interestingly, this year was a silver band as opposed to nickel.
2019 System 307. Green again???? I got over my disappointment with once again green pretty quickly though. This one's interesting to me. I purchased this one because it was (you guessed it) the closest in shape to the XL90, which technically it is the same shape but numbered differently in the system lines. The 9S it turns out is also the same shape, I found out. Also it was my first System pipe and my first Plip. I'll definitely get another System, and I wouldn't rule out another Plip. The Plip takes some getting used to at first, but it grew on me quite quickly. Wonderful pipe this year.
Now I'm already waiting to see what next year's pipes will look like, hoping they're not green again, but determined to get one regardless. Hint, hint, hint, folks from Peterson... a walnut stain with an emerald green swirl stem would look fantastic!!! And I'd like to see a B42 included. Otherwise, if there's a XL90 and 106 I may buy both. :mrgreen:

Jan 8, 2013
First seven day set?
First seven day set within a certain line. All my other seven day sets were no longer seven day sets when they became 8 and 9 and.... And that was just makers. Next year will kill this seven day set lol. I still don't have a full seven day set in just one shape. Hoping to remedy that with the 106 soon.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice set Anthony. I really like the 2014, just enough green around the rim. I have to agree with you...emerald green swirl stem would look fantastic.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Awesome set there Anthony!
Just get them bands shined up by St. Patrick's Day or a leprechaun is going to sneak in and steal your stash of Black Frigate on my orders! Got to be spiffy! :rofl:
They all look fantastic and now I might be on the look out for one of those 2014's...I love me a blast and add the green stain to the top? Oh my! My favorite color is green, after all. I'm stoked for you brother! Enjoy the absolute, ever loving, heck out of them!!! :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
I might be on the look out for one of those 2014's...
The green rim really makes the pipe on the 2014. They are quite nice. As you can see in the photo, that one was loaded up and smoking last night. They're all going to get smoked the week leading up to Saint Patrick's Day, in order from 2013 to 2019. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.